Skip to main content

By much floundering around on support threads, I’ve found out what an SMBv1 is, and discovered that’s what my PC running Windows 10 is using. That appears to be why I’m one of the many whose PC-stored Music Library has disappeared from Sonos, which as we all know discontinued support for SMBv1.

I’ve wasted two hours between Sonos chat and phone support trying in vain to get my music folder shared again with Sonos.  So I’m wondering if I upgrade from Windows 10 to 11, will I then be running the SMBv2 necessary to work with Sonos again? In other words, does Windows 11 run with SMBv2 by default? Thanks to anyone who can help.

Hi @bigdaddyscondition, yes Windows 11 uses SMBv2 by default. For that matter, SMBv2 is included in every iteration of Window 10! Here’s what you need to do to disable SMBv1, which will ensure that any directory share uses only SMBv2 ...

• In the ‘Run’ text box, type “windows features” (no quotes)
  • Select Turn Windows features on or off
  • UNCHECK the entry SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
  • Click the OK button
  • Reboot your PC

Hi @bigdaddyscondition, yes Windows 11 uses SMBv2 by default. For that matter, SMBv2 is included in every iteration of Window 10! Here’s what you need to do to disable SMBv1, which will ensure that any directory share uses only SMBv2 ...

• In the ‘Run’ text box, type “windows features” (no quotes)
  • Select Turn Windows features on or off
  • UNCHECK the entry SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support
  • Click the OK button
  • Reboot your PC

Many thanks, press250. Those steps enabled me to go forward in the process. The directions linked in Sonos’s original May 2 email warning about stopping support of SMBv1 gave an incorrect direction. In the section “Add Your Music Library in the Sonos App,” Step 3 says “Select Networked device (ex. NAS drive).”  After trying that a bunch of times (including the phone tech support agent advising it) and failing, I finally chose the first, highlighted button, which said something like Add Your Music Folder.  When I clicked that button, my music folder was added in seconds with no other steps. Just like that. This was after I had disabled SMBv1 on my Windows 10 PC as you directed above. 

Until now I have wasted hours of time and been led down several just plain wrong troubleshooting rabbit holes for this problem. And it was all so unnecessary.  Sonos sent out a cryptic, brief email on May 2 that included incorrect information on how to fix the enormous problem created by their discontinuation of support for the outdated and vulnerable SMBv1.  But they carelessly ignored the implications of their doing this--leaving many Sonos users to fend for themselves on the forums and try to figure it out despite Sonos giving the wrong directions.  I started out years ago with S1 equipment a huge Sonos fan. I was still a fan after my S1 speakers were turned to junk by Sonos and I shelled out a stack of bills for a whole new S2 speaker setup.  But this latest corporate jerking around has tested my patience to the limit. I would NOT recommend Sonos to anyone now.

For other users who come across this thread …

The lesson here is that you will run into trouble if your Windows PC (or NAS box) is running both SMBv1 and SMBv2. This is pretty odd and counter-intuitive, as Sonos device firmware no longer supports SMBv1. One would think SMBv1 would be ignored, but that is not the case and Sonos will fail with Error 913 if SMBv1 is detected … even if SMBv2 is properly configured.

So be sure to disable SMBv1 on your Windows PC or NAS box.

The lesson here is that you will run into trouble if your Windows PC (or NAS box) is running both SMBv1 and SMBv2. This is pretty odd and counter-intuitive, as Sonos device firmware no longer supports SMBv1. One would think SMBv1 would be ignored, but that is not the case and Sonos will fail with Error 913 if SMBv1 is detected … even if SMBv2 is properly configured.

That may well be, but is then clearly a bug. The client (Sonos) and the server (NAS) upon connection should negotiate to use the highest available SMB version supported by both, in this case either SMB3 or SMB2 depending on the capabilities of the server (NAS), unless explicitly configured on the sever side (via smb.conf file). SMB1 should not even come into equation, unless that is all the server supports, in which case negotiation fails and the user sees the famous error 913.

This is not true.

My Windows Server runs both SMBv1 and SMBv2, as it is used by my S1 system and S2 system. No issues. (Well apart from the usual ones with the new mobile app).

Whatever the problem is, it is not caused by simply having both versions enabled.

This is not true.

My Windows Server runs both SMBv1 and SMBv2, as it is used by my S1 system and S2 system. No issues. (Well apart from the usual ones with the new mobile app).

Whatever the problem is, it is not caused by simply having both versions enabled.

Yes it’s the same software, just with different protocol versions enabled.

Hi @controlav, a number of users have seen this issue when both protocols are available and disabling SMBv1 fixed their ‘913’ error. Certainly not all users.