iphone 14 wont connect

same problem as others here. iPhone 14 wont connect to existing S2 system Is connected using my iPhone 12 Prom Max, Android Tablet, and Windows Desktop PC. Have jumped through all the hoops here including network setting location etc… rebooted numerous times. Called support twice and got hung up on.  Anyone else have ideas?  Diagnostics sent as well
iPhone 14 WOnt connect:  Diag#: 1380353037

iPhone 12 Pro Max: Succesful Diag:  113682776 

theshacks82 10 months ago

FINALLY got the S2 app to connect from my wifes iPhone14 Plus.  Was able to get to SETTINGS → APP PREFERENCES → RESET APP. that did it.

Now all i have to do is get the S1 split system to detect again. i will get a tech support call for that again.

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @theshacks82 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

I can see that your iPhone 14 is connecting to the same Access Point as your other phone, and that it shares the same subnet as your Sonos system and your other phone.

I think, therefore, that the likely answer is that some software that is installed on your iPhone 14 but not on your other phone is interfering with the connection, or an iPhone setting is.

• There have been reports recently that Microsoft Defender is causing some issues with Sonos - if you have this installed, please disable it and try connecting to Sonos once more.
  • If your iPhone 14 uses the Private Address function when connecting to your network, please disable it. https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211227
  • Please also ensure Sonos on your iPhone 14 has permissions to operate on the local network:
  1. Navigate to Settings > Sonos.

2. Toggle Local Network On 

IMG_6B3DC91ECB77-1.jpeg

If none of this works, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your reply I’ve tried all of these things before but no luck and I don’t have any defender or other specific security apps.

I’ve already spoken to tech support and was hung up on after about an hour of frustration. I suppose I will eventually have to call back when I have time to turn my router on and off 5 times.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results..”

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @theshacks82 

If there’s no software or settings getting in the way, there could be a network issue - a duplicated IP address, for example. A router reboot may indeed help, though I’d only ask you to do it once. If that helps, however, I would then recommend that you reserve IP addresses for your devices in your router’s settings to minimise the probability that it might erroneously assign the same IP to multiple devices in the future, which should prevent this from happening again.

I also recommend trying a reboot of your phone - I know many people let their phones go a long time without a reboot, including myself.

But the point I’m trying to make is that your Sonos system clearly works correctly from another phone, therefore the issue must lie either with the problematic phone, the software on it, or with how it’s being treated by the router.

We take reports of unsatisfactory customer service very seriously, but I cannot find a recent or related case on your account - could you please send me your case number in a private message (you’ll find a button to do so under my name here to the left). Thanks. 

I hope this helps.

i agree this seem to be a very odd issue. SOMETMES, not always, the iPhone will find the SONOS system and just not add it? it doesn’t make any sense to me either that it works on all other devices and not this one. Router tables look fine no duplicate addresses.. in fact i sorta used this as convoluted logic to justify me buying a new wifi6 mesh router 😏 so this has happened using two separate routers and i also changed my SSID.  

Odd you have no record of support. i actually had 2 instances that ive called in - one about this and another trying to get Split systems to work as well.

As i said i will call back when i have time. thanks again for taking time out to address this question.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @theshacks82 

If you have a router and a separate mesh system, you’ll need to make sure that only one of these is operating as a router, otherwise you could certainly see problems like this. One of the devices (usually the mesh) needs to be put into Bridge/Access Point mode to disable DHCP functions. You do not want two DHCP servers on your network. Some routers can extend themselves into a mesh with additional Access Points - you would not need to take this step with one of these.

I can see a case from January regarding splitting your S1 and S2 systems, and another case from February regarding Music Library issues, but nothing concerning being unable to connect to Sonos from a particular device, or indeed anything else in the last few months - which is why I was asking, as every phone call to us should be assigned to an existing case or a new case. If you received an email afterwards (and you should have), it will contain the case number.

As i said i will call back when i have time. thanks again for taking time out to address this question.

Of course - take your time. And, you are very welcome.

Obv I only have one acting as router/DHCP. I’m pretty sure my whole network would be jacked up otherwise. Really I have so many devices working flawlessly. Gotta be something with this iPhone I just can’t pin it down. The s1 split side is also not showing up again.. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @theshacks82 

Obv I only have one acting as router/DHCP.

Oh how I wish it was obvious! 😁

I’m pretty sure my whole network would be jacked up otherwise.

Yes indeed. But you’d be surprised by how many people wouldn’t even notice if it weren’t for their Sonos systems! Most devices just want internet access, which Dual DHCP doesn’t get in the way of.

Really I have so many devices working flawlessly. Gotta be something with this iPhone I just can’t pin it down.

It seems most likely. Is it a privately-bought iPhone, or was it supplied by your work? If the latter, there may be additional restrictions placed on it, which you would not be able to remove without the assistance of your work's IT department.

The s1 split side is also not showing up again.. 

I’m not sure what you mean by this. You can’t connect to your S1 system either? On the same iPhone?

yes this is a privately owned iphone (my wifes actually) and very vanilla. nothing special. even my phone has vpn capabilities and i have no issues connecting

As fo the S1 system, it was working for a while on my phone and my PC app but one day that just became disconnected. might have something to do with the SSID/Router/Mesh changes but the S2 system continues to work fine for me.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @theshacks82 

If you have not taken steps to ensure there is not Dual DHCP, I would assume that you do have it until you’ve made sure otherwise. Being unable to connect to your S1 system is certainly indicative of some kind of underlying network configuration issue.

Although the phone call can occasionally drop, I recommend you get back in touch with our technical support team, as I can really only guess as to what is going wrong.

I’m certain there are no other devices issuing IP addresses. I will attempt another tech support call as soon as I can figure out a good time to be able to hacer down the as we have some remote working that can’t be disrupted by router reboots thanks. 

FINALLY got the S2 app to connect from my wifes iPhone14 Plus.  Was able to get to SETTINGS → APP PREFERENCES → RESET APP. that did it.

Now all i have to do is get the S1 split system to detect again. i will get a tech support call for that again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @theshacks82 

I’m glad to hear it - thanks for updating the thread,

Your S1 system is currently offline - if you have one S1 device connected to ethernet, I recommend checking/replacing the ethernet cable. If that doesn’t help you, hopefully our support team will find the answer.

none of my sonos are connected by ethernet but i can move my play5 to a drop and try that. Shouldnt these connect thru my standard wifi using the app on my iPhone tho?  I will get back with you on status after i get this connected.

thanks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @theshacks82 

How your Sonos system connects depends on if you have ethernet connected to one or more - or not. If you connect one Sonos device to ethernet, it broadcasts a private WiFi signal that other devices belonging to you will prefer over WiFi - except Roam, Move and Era models. As you don’t have this, your S1 system won’t depend upon a single connection point and they therefore should be online. I just looked again now, and can see 2 of 3 devices are online, so progress has been made!

If you are unable to connect to them in the app, however, I still recommend you get in touch with our technical support team.

Badge

I use S1.

My iphone 14 Pro with iOS 16.5.1 is a huge problem. It hangs chronically, cannot connect to Tidal, playlists disappear, etc. When it works sporadically, it goes slow and the cover photo comes up even more slowly. BUT, if I start a song from another device, it comes up in the app on the iPhone 14 Pro and then I can control the volume, pause, change tracks etc.

(We use the S1 app as we don't have the new Sonos variants).

Have used Sonos for over 16 years everywhere in the whole house, all variants, never a problem apart from the last year??

I have of course allowed the S1 app on privacy and security / local network I have deleted and reinstalled the S1 app and turned the iPhone off and on.

The reason why i say iphone 14 is the problem is:

ipad mini 4 with iOS 15.7.5 working!
my Wife's XS max with 16.5.1 working!

I am 100% sure that it is an Apple problem and I am afraid that the S1 app is gradually being "phased" away from Apple, by accident or on purpose? I do not know. Do I have to buy small Android tablets and use in the house as a remote control?

I guess I thought I had posted my resolution here but apparently not.

in the settings -app preferences there is a RESET APP function. I hadn’t seen that before but I pressed it and that fixed my issue.