iOS 15.4 S2 update issues and steps backward (iPhone 14 Pro)

• 25 May 2023
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I know it takes a while for Sonos to update Trueplay for new phone models. But the prior version finally added support it seemed for the iPhone 14 Pro, which I have. So I was able to tune both my systems using it. Hadn’t opened the app in a few days, noticed it updated to 15.4, and now the Trueplay option is back to being greyed out. My iOS version is 16.4.1(a): Is this intentional, due to perhaps a bug or issue? I got great results when it was enabled for that one version (I’m assuming it’s the prior version, or at least a recent one) with my subs and audio in general. Anyway, what’s up with taking away Trueplay for the iPhone 14 Pro, is there some bug/quality control issue?

Gripe #2: now when I hold the slider down to adjust the volume on say the subwoofer, instead of it showing what the current value is as I slide it (so you see say “Sub Level 0” change to “Sub Level +1”, “Sub Level +2”, etc as you slid right), it no longer displays the change: you have to slide, then let go, then it updates with the value. As you slide, it just leaves “Sub Level 0” alone until you release the control. Slid too far? Move it back some tiny increment that's hopefully not too large otherwise repeat. An unnecessary step back, and annoying when adjusting during movies or music.

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I would update your ios to 16.5 if I were you for the security updates alone never mind the sonos app

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I would update your ios to 16.5 if I were you for the security updates alone never mind the sonos app

Ya I just did. My phone didn’t notify me that an update was available (no red icon on the settings app) but I went in just after posting this to verify my OS version and saw that 16.5 was available. It just finished installing but same exact issues as I mentioned in the OP. Didn’t affect the app but ya, security updates always good idea.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Just so you know if you have run truplay it doesn't go away if the app greys it out now

Just means you cannot rerun it

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Just so you know if you have run truplay it doesn't go away if the app greys it out now

Just means you cannot rerun it

That’s good to know. Also worst case I could bust out an older iPhone if I really had to. Was more just curious why it was there one version, gone the next. Can only guess some sort of calibration issues or whatever. Wouldn’t mind them fixing the slider label update UI thing though, although it’s pretty minor I’m sure on the list of issues they’re triaging.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

UPDATE: Weird, I opened the app just now, and while the version number hasn’t changed (still 15.4, I didn’t see any notifications that the app updated), the Trueplay option is back to being not greyed out for my iPhone 14 Pro: I can use it again (not going to, already calibrated just fine). So I guess that’s fixed? Or maybe there could have been some sort of temporary issue (doubt it would be networking as I could control everything just fine with the phone), or some sort of user-error.

UPDATE 2: OK I think I know why Trueplay at least was previously disabled and now is enabled: I know that when I looked at about my system yesterday after seeing the app update to 15.4 that all my devices were on firmware 15.3. I didn’t think anything about it, cause sometimes they aren’t in lockstep. Anyway, looked at about my system just now and all my devices are on 15.4, same as the app version, so that probably explains the Trueplay situation. So more like user impatience is the root cause here.

Regardless: Please bring back being able to see the level changes as you use the sliders! I noticed this now applies to anywhere you can change volume/levels: surround, bass, etc. Previously as you slid the control the label changed to let you know what + or - level you were scrolling at: now it just shows the last value until you let go of the control.

I recently updated my the system to 15.4 and 3 of the 4 rooms (1 of which has an Arc cinema setup) all updated correctly, albeit they can be a bit sluggish to get picked up when I open the app on my Apple 13Pro (updated to 16.5).
The 4th room was one additional cinema system on a Beam (Gen 1), Sub (Gen 2), 2 x Play One (Gen 3), but that one has been problematic ever since.  During the update it hung on this room and did so for several hours, after which I eventually had to crash it and reboot them.  But now they rarely connect or I have to wait ages for the app to ‘see’ them.  Usually not being able to retain the cinema configuration and going into self-repair mode.  Does anyone know how to roll-back to an earlier version for this room or all if need be? 😡. Been a Sonos user for 20 years… and this is a first,...but very frustrating!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Does anyone know how to roll-back to an earlier version for this room or all if need be? 😡. Been a Sonos user for 20 years… and this is a first,...but very frustrating!

It is not possible. You can turn off automatic updates in settings, however, not that that helps with your issue, but I may personally do that myself at some point, then wait and see if there are user reports of issues. If not, then manual update. If so, wait for more info.

That’s what I’ve had it on after one update screwed my playbar 3 years ago, and they only offered me discount on buying a replacement as it wasn’t worth their effort.  Very disappointing after investing so much in their ecosystem.  Hopefully, this is not another one of those instances.  I foolishly believed that couldn’t happen again and it was just bad-luck at the time.  Come on @Sonos Support / #sonossupport