Answered

How to stop rooms from randomly auto-grouping

• 12 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello, I have a problem that started a few weeks ago, and I can’t figure it out. After many years of happy Sonos multi-room usage, our system now randomly and regularly auto-groups rooms together. Not only that after auto-grouping, it will often auto-start playing music in the grouped rooms. I.e. I will turn off music in room A, and an hour later will find that rooms A and D are now grouped and music is playing in both.

Anyone else seen this? It recently started and we haven’t seen it in the 10+ years of using these Sonos devices. Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 April 2024, 06:49

View original

6 replies

What is the source that is playing when you experience this? I could potentially see this behavior, for instance, from Spotify Connect….

Userlevel 1

Thank you - the source varies. We usually use Pandora or Amazon prime stations, and when this auto grouping happens, one of these sources starts playing. The strange thing is that, the only thing that seems to have changed recently is we put in a bluetooth/wifi enabled garage door opener and controller. Is it possible that this is somehow sending signals to a Sonos controller? If so, that seems...not secure.

I can’t think of how that would be possible. As you say, that wouldn’t be secure, certainly. But I think I’d be asking Sonos support about what is causing it, by submitting a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and calingl Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I use Amazon and I’ve never seen a Group added, one will drop from time to time but never an addition.

Do you have any voice services active?

Userlevel 1

Thank you for the advice, I will capture the diagnostic as suggested and will send to Sonos!

Make sure you call them afterwards, otherwise they won’t look at the diagnostic. ;)