How to close Sonos app

• 3 April 2023
  • 7 replies

When I flick off the Sonos app on Android I want it to close. Instead I get this useless notification that says something like -- stopping the app will may interrupt playback notifications. And that notification is persistent (can't be flicked off).

This makes me suspicious the Sonos app is running in the background monitoring my activity.

How can I close Sonos and have it be inactive like a well behaved app (aside from doing a Fore Stop)?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

In the Android Settings → Apps → Sonos → Notifications and disable Notifications.

@Larinphilly,
Perhaps see if this earlier community thread might assist you to resolve the matter…

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers%2Dand%2Dmusic%2Dservices%2D228995/sonos%2Ds2%2D14%2D18%2D2%2Dnotification%2Dstopping%2Dthe%2Dservice%2Dmay%2Dinterrupt%2Dplayback%2Dnotifications%2D6877264?postid=16625321#post16625321

Badge

To close the Sonos app on Android and have it inactive, you can swipe it off from the recent apps screen. However, the persistent notification you're encountering is a feature designed to ensure seamless playback and control of your Sonos devices, which may make it seem like the app is running in the background. If you want to completely stop it, you may need to use the "Force Stop" option in the app settings, but be aware that this might impact playback notifications and functionality.

Which doesn’t really do a lot, since the actual data is stored on the speakers themselves. The controller app is merely a interface through which you can see what’s going on on your system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If you want to completely stop it, you may need to use the "Force Stop" option in the app settings, but be aware that this might impact playback notifications and functionality.

Why? The app plays no part in playback, since “from this device” was removed.

If you want to completely stop it, you may need to use the "Force Stop" option in the app settings, but be aware that this might impact playback notifications and functionality.

The background service on Android is there to support notifications and widgets. Disable notifications in App Preferences and it won’t appear.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The background service on Android is there to support notifications and widgets. Disable notifications in App Preferences and it won’t appear.

Widgets? Ok. What Notifications are there though? [iOS user here]