Answered

How to add Hard Drive so can play all on Sonos

• 12 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I have an external hard drive with new/old music. I have amps, speakers, etc. in house and use Sonos. I want to add and organize the music from my hard drive to all of my streamed music collection. I’ve been told I need software like Elmedia Player to play the music which has created stress and dead ends.

1. Why do I need Elmedia when Sonos runs all of my music now?
  2. Do I need a laptop,( or just Sonos) when I don’t intend to use it when I play music?
  3. Do I need to copy the music to Apple Music so can then add to Sonos? Seems redundant.
  4. I’d like to keep the music on the hard drive, plugging it in to my router, or____??? So I can just leave it there.

Essentially, want to use an app to organize (into playlists) and play (all of my) music on my home stereo, and of course have access to this same music on my iPhone.

icon

Best answer by 106rallye 13 December 2023, 07:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Many routers can share the contents of a USB drive onto the network. Tell us the make/model.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I have an inexpensive NAS set up to share my local music out to my Sonos. You may get lucky and be able to use your router or if you have a computer you leave turned on.

Getting it to your phone I don’t know about but if it can read from a network share it should work while you are connected to your home WiFi.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You do not need Elmedia. The Sonos app on your computer or Mac should be enough. See https://support.sonos.com/en-au/article/add-your-music-library-to-sonos

By the way. So it is possible there’s a program that brings with it even more stress than iTunes?