Skip to main content
Question

How do I update the music library on the new app?

Updated Sonos to the new app, I see the music library but there doesn't seem to be a way to update the library. 

21 replies

Badge

I am unable to update the Music Library on the new app,  I had the old gold app on another computer, when I tried to update the music library on that computer, the music library disappeared.  I found the folder deleted in the Sources, tried to re-add the folder in Music Library Settings and I get the error message “Sonos was unable to add the music folder”???

Ive had sonos products for years, using the S1 app in another location. The New app is too buggy to justify the Sonos expense.  I hope they fix this soon,  running out of patience. It should not be this difficult to figure out.

I am on an IPad and used to be able to update the music index, but it seems to have disappeared.

You have to use the desktop app to update the music index now, there is no mobile app support for this. Probably will come back at some in a month or so. At least I hope. 

Sonos removed support for smbv1 so if you previously used your set up with S1 you will need to enable smbv2/3 in your nas/share to make it work. 

Hello … I also came here searching for the answer to how to “Update Music Index” on the new App as it does not work as it used to? - After reading what @Bumper said above, I logged into the Sonos Controller on my laptop & was able to force a Music Library Update there (in Advanced Settings\Music Library Settings) by changing the time in Library Updates? - When I then restarted my App (Android) the album that I had just uploaded to my NAS was there & I can play it via Sonos Controller & Sonos App
Far from perfect, but beggars can’t be choosers!
Paul 👍

I have 6 sonos products, and I’ve been a customer for 15+ years.  I used to listen to my music library on a daily basis.  Sonos team: PLEASE fix the issue & allow your customers to play music from their personal music libraries again!

OMG !!  This new app is horrible!!  I can’t do ANYTHING HERE!!  Please revert back and fix this crap!  

Badge

Music Library is back, thanks Sonos.

Though I see Music Library , how do I force a rescan of the music library on the IOS app after adding music.   Not a fan of the new App as it is missing far too many core features the old one had.

Userlevel 3

So where is the music library?  I do not see this on the desktop player setup or on the app on my phone.  I still have 15K songs on my computer that I cannot play.  Not a happy camper!!

Badge

I updated the IOS App (on iPhone and iPad) on 7/3 and got what I assume is the latest (6/22) App, and now I cannot see the Music Library at all.  I had an old version of the Windows App which has been working flawlessly, but it eventually required a software update to update the Music Library (which I didn’t do) but eventually the Music Library was empty (which has happened periodically for years) so I needed to update it, but it is now still empty so I cannot see the library from any device.  Are others seeing this?  It seems like some people can still see the music library as a Source in the IOS App.  Help!!

OMG, I cant change the music on my Iphone any longer. Can someone help? WTH!

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

I updated the IOS App (on iPhone and iPad) on 7/3 and got what I assume is the latest (6/22) App, and now I cannot see the Music Library at all.  I had an old version of the Windows App which has been working flawlessly, but it eventually required a software update to update the Music Library (which I didn’t do) but eventually the Music Library was empty (which has happened periodically for years) so I needed to update it, but it is now still empty so I cannot see the library from any device.  Are others seeing this?  It seems like some people can still see the music library as a Source in the IOS App.  Help!!

If you can no longer see the library with Sonos apps but can see it from your computer, you may have that SMB1 issue - search for that.  Our library is on a WD My Cloud NAS and it still works fine.  The new controller cannot use it well, but it’s there.  A better controller is the Sonos desktop app or SonoPhone from a 3rd party guy.

Userlevel 6
Badge +6

OMG, I cant change the music on my Iphone any longer. Can someone help? WTH!

Try SonoPhone from the app store.  $3, but worth it.  That developer must be loving Sonos right now.

Userlevel 2
Badge

It’s been months. It’s *one button* that does a thing the system clearly already knows how to do, since it can be done from the desktop app.

How on *earth* is this not back yet? How the hell can you not code a single button into the app - *anywhere*, I don’t care, put it five levels deep in the settings - yet? It’s just ridiculous. I updated to the new app because I thought *surely* they must have this back within a few days. It’s been weeks. Still waiting and schlepping to a PC every time I buy a new track. What the heck is this nonsense?

It’s been months. It’s *one button* that does a thing the system clearly already knows how to do, since it can be done from the desktop app.

How on *earth* is this not back yet? How the hell can you not code a single button into the app - *anywhere*, I don’t care, put it five levels deep in the settings - yet? It’s just ridiculous. I updated to the new app because I thought *surely* they must have this back within a few days. It’s been weeks. Still waiting and schlepping to a PC every time I buy a new track. What the heck is this nonsense?

The way the new app communicates with the system has been completely redesigned, so it isn’t the case where they can just mimic what the current PC/Mac app does.  They’ve had to create an entirely new API, and some of the API functions were not complete at the time of launch.

Not making excuses, the app was released half-baked and there’s no excuse for that.  But these things are a bit more complicated than just making it work like it used to. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m a software engineer. If the desktop app can do it, then it should be trivial to implement it in the mobile app. There is not - or at least there should not be a - a different API for each; that’s the entire point of APIs (to provide a single consistent interface for different front-ends to use). Either they have designed this so badly somebody should be fired, or it should be entirely trivial to implement this in the mobile app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I’m a software engineer. If the desktop app can do it, then it should be trivial to implement it in the mobile app. There is not - or at least there should not be a - a different API for each; that’s the entire point of APIs (to provide a single consistent interface for different front-ends to use). Either they have designed this so badly somebody should be fired, or it should be entirely trivial to implement this in the mobile app.

You got it, @AdamWill, there is a different API for the desktop app (which is still on the old codebase) and the mobile app. Details here if you are curious …

See this post:

https://en.community.sonos.com/ask%2Da%2Dquestion%2D228987/interesting%2Dread%2Don%2Dhow%2Dsonos%2Dis%2Dchanging%2D6899414

Userlevel 2
Badge

Interesting, but that seems to be mostly about device discovery, which this isn’t.

In the end, the point is, the *phone* is not doing the work to update the library. It doesn’t store it. All it’s doing is sending a “update the library now, please” message somewhere else. Even if it needs to use a different API for this from the desktop app, for some inscrutable reason, and the different API does not have that endpoint, *adding it* should be a similarly trivial operation, because the API also would not be doing the work. Nobody needs to write new “updating the library” code. All they need to do is get an “update the library” signal from the phone to whatever bit is in charge of updating the library. If they’ve designed their system such that this takes a competent engineer more than two hours, they have designed it terribly.

Badge

If you can no longer see the library with Sonos apps but can see it from your computer, you may have that SMB1 issue - search for that.  Our library is on a WD My Cloud NAS and it still works fine.  The new controller cannot use it well, but it’s there.  A better controller is the Sonos desktop app or SonoPhone from a 3rd party guy.

Thanks!  It took several chat/phone session with Sonos Support, but everything is finally working.  The SMB1 issue was the first problem, followed by a problem that required me to disable all VPNs before restarting the system.  The mobile App eventually worked once the Desktop App was correct.  I must say that Sonos Support has as always been excellent, although the new App is a travesty.

The main remaining problem I see with the mobile App is that I have a large (>60,000 songs) library and there is no way to select music to add to the Queue without scrolling forever which is ridiculous.  Currently I can add songs to the Queue from the Desktop App as before but sometimes that is not ideal.

I am a simpleton, but did manage to get my NAS (Brennan B3) to be recognized by the latest and crappiest SONOS app for iPhone. First I got my Mac version updated. There I worked through getting my NAS network pathway in the Manage Library window after clicking the plus sign for adding the NAS.

I checked my work on the Mac version and it was functional. 

Then, I went to the iOS device. I found a new bold header low down on the main page: Your Sources and there I magically found my Music Library button! It seems to be working just fine, thank you.

Worthwhile but time consuming. Rewarding but frustrating. SONOS could have made it harder but I don’t think they could be bothered. What a shit show this new app is.