Answered

Has anyone figured out how to install the old ios s2 app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

We know it’s bad, they have not provided guidance, and I can expect a few months before it’s back to ‘before the regression’ of features. 

I just want to know how to install the old app. Need to move on with my life. No drama. My mistake for falling for their hype. 

thanks!

icon

Best answer by BiliBug 10 May 2024, 18:40

View original

57 replies

Userlevel 3

You can’t, unless they restore the old version in the App Store.

It was foolish for them to submit this mess as an update to the S2 app, instead of as a new app.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

You can’t, unless they restore the old version in the App Store.

It was foolish for them to submit this mess as an update to the S2 app, instead of as a new app.

That’s really sad. It’s sad to see the company fall in such a publicly visible way. They are always ‘on the edge’ of being too-fancy for what I need. Wife will argue that we should look elsewhere …… where the software is important. I bet someone just said, “they won’t notice (or Telemetry tells us these are never really used) and we will fix it in a few months.” No company that wants to stay in business does this. 

Anyway, just want the app back to move on with my day. 

Userlevel 4
Badge

My family and I have enjoyed having Sonos speakers in several rooms in our home for over 10 years.  We generally use streaming music services for content and we use Sonos iOS apps on our phones for interacting with the Sonos system.  Unfortunately, after updating the Sonos iOS apps several days ago, we are unable to reliably access content or select speakers for playback.  The current version of the Sonos iOS is a complete disaster, and our Sonos system is essentially unusable.  Sonos should immediately provide a way to roll back the Sonos iOS app to a previous version that actually works!

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

If you have a windows computer and do a google search for: GitHub itunes charles, you should find the answer how to do it. The string I needed was 864228318 but that might or might not depend on location so follow the instructions on that page you’ll find. There likely is also a way using Mac.

Like it’s said there, it looks overwhelming but following the instructions it’s easy. Well worth the effort for me. I’m back in 16.1 on iPhone. Before downgrading, I enabled the Sonos Voice Location for weather feature in the new app. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

@kpr

thx for the tip, but the latest version of iTunes does not provide access to the App Store. I assume you used an older iTunes version?

Userlevel 2

What a fail. Make the old app available 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

@rrl_edm yes, you need older version. All the files you need including the iTunes 12.6.5 are linked in that page. Check the II. Requirements. I used AppManager in the last step.

Downloading and installing iTunes probably took the longest. The build string I needed to put in was 864228318 but go along the instructions in case that is different for your location. (When you search in iparch… click the result > Download > Download and you should see the version number needed).

Userlevel 4

Sonos! Give us the old app back in the App Store till you’ve ironed out the bugs. FFS

Userlevel 3

Agree. Please give us the old App back asap. The new update has completely broken my ability to connect to Sonos. 

My advice, DO NOT UPGRADE TO THE NEW APP!

My request to Sonos Team, MAKE TGE OLD APP AVAILABLE TO DOWNLOAD ASAP!

😩

Userlevel 3

My family and I have enjoyed having Sonos speakers in several rooms in our home for over 10 years.  We generally use streaming music services for content and we use Sonos iOS apps on our phones for interacting with the Sonos system.  Unfortunately, after updating the Sonos iOS apps several days ago, we are unable to reliably access content or select speakers for playback.  The current version of the Sonos iOS is a complete disaster, and our Sonos system is essentially unusable.  Sonos should immediately provide a way to roll back the Sonos iOS app to a previous version that actually works!

Is SONOS even reading these messages? 
how do we get them to roll back the App? 

Userlevel 3

The new app is absolutely horrible ... please put the old version back until you iron out all your problems 

Userlevel 1

I just spent 1h on the chat of SONOS support. Very friendly support, All ll my reported problems are now known. Besides this: there is not a liste published for all users which bugs are already known.  At this stage we all desperately write and contact support or user communities to find out what is wrong, if we as user made an error, if there are solutions (fall back) or what ever. Very bad time for us all including SONOS staff. Leadership of the CEO is completely missing.

I can’t connect to my sonos system after ios app update. Local network access is enabled in settings.

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

It almost seems that the software development team are not themselves longstanding SONOS users and have little to no appreciation for the existing core features and functionality. Either that or they were specifically tasked with trying to enrage and disenfranchise as many SONOS users as possible, shatter user confidence and irreversibly destroy the SONOS brand. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

If you performed a manual backup of your iPad / iPhone onto a computer then you can restore the prior S2 (Gold) App.

The steps I used were:

1. Make sure your backup was done before the new (v 80, black) Sonos app was installed on your device;
  2. Erase your iPad/iPhone and perform a restore from the backup on your PC;
  3. Once the device restarted for the first time you need to immediately disable auto updates and downloads for apps (Settings, App Store). This is an important step otherwise you’ll get the new app installed again..
  4. Let your device complete the app installs.

The process took about an hour but I’m happy now that I got the prior S2 app reinstalled.. 

Good luck.

Userlevel 3

Sonos is totally ruining its name with this new app . No systems work with it.  Has anyone figured out a way to reinstall old version for Android?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Sonos is totally ruining its name with this new app . No systems work with it.  Has anyone figured out a way to reinstall old version for Android?

You can download the old version here:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/

For android you can find the way to go back here:

Userlevel 2

any rant….this is on their homepage support “Please be aware that we are very busy during this time, so it may take us longer than usual to respond to your call. We suggest starting a live chat session with us, or posting your question on our Sonos Community. If you'd like more information about our new Sonos App and Future Feature Updates check our community post.”

lol, they don’t even have the balls to tell the world they know there is an issue with the new app

Userlevel 2

??? https://status.sonos.com/?utm_source=embed

Userlevel 2

If you performed a manual backup of your iPad / iPhone onto a computer then you can restore the prior S2 (Gold) App.

The steps I used were:

1. Make sure your backup was done before the new (v 80, black) Sonos app was installed on your device;
  3. Once the device restarted for the first time you need to immediately disable auto updates and downloads for apps (Settings, App Store). This is an important step otherwise you’ll get the new app installed again..

The process took about an hour but I’m happy now that I got the prior S2 app reinstalled.. 

Good luck.

it definitely works but the problem is you can’t add devices to this app, it’s greyed out of course.  And for me, i hard reset all my devices :(

Userlevel 2

We install HiFi systems and multi-room control as well as business installs where businesses use audio servers with their choice of music on. The new App gives no option to setup a music server anymore. Further, those who had it  set before find that it will only play music from their servers that are available on the streaming service they may use. So if they have albums that are not available on the streaming service, they can’t play the music, even though they own it and have it on their audio server. I have never seen a company so blatantly focused on what it wants over the needs of the very customers it is selling to. Their lack of appreciation for their paying customers is staggering.

For most people without extensive technical knowledge, putting the old App back on their Phones/Tablets is near impossible. However, since we’ve had to find a solution very quickly for the barrage of calls we had from upset customers, we’ve downloaded them an App called SonoPad. This is totally free and works in a very easy to understand manner and has most of the features people enjoy, including replay from audio servers. It is also considerably faster than the new Sonos. I  can’t say whether it will suit everyone, but if this helps some of you out of a hole and allows you to keep using the system you paid for, then that’s a good thing.

For the person who asked if Sonos reads or takes action on any of this, the answer is almost certainly no, because if they had any interest in the opinion of their uses, then this would not have been an issue in the first place. Their order of importance appears to be, profits, shareholders……………. oh, customers.

From our point of view, we believe it’s time to start looking at the many options out there other than Sonos, since their respect for profits far outweighs their respect for their uses.

Userlevel 1

The steps I used were:

Good luck.

Yes, it would be a “solution”. But having the IOS/OSX users restoring their backup (of the whole system and if/when available) is a ridiculous option. All Sonos has to do is make the previous “MAIN” version (Gold colored app) available in the Appstore. Dare to admit your fault and go back to the drawing board Sonos instead of ignoring us all.

Userlevel 5
Badge +1

I can’t really look past this issue. The new app has nuked functionality of the 12+ speakers I own. We need to demand a rollback, or options, now.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Iv found a way. S2 now installed on my phone and iv turned off auto update. See if it lasts. apkmirror.com.apk. If your able to get an email address over to me ill try send you the file…

Steve

Moderator Note - removed personal information