Answered

Genres in music library don't change

• 6 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone,

Since many of my albums are poorly categorized by Genre, I went in and manually changed them in Windows Music Player. But when I update the music library for Sonos, anything previously uploaded keeps the original genre name, regardless of what it shows in the player. It does this even if I re-import the entire library. Any idea why this happens and what I could try?

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 6 August 2022, 13:35

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Did you manually run the ‘update music index’ for the library in the Sonos App after updating & re-importing the library tracks genre tag?

Yep. Still the same. 

I've been wondering if there's somehow a difference in the info displayed in WMP and what's in the file that gets imported.

Yep. Still the same. 

I've been wondering if there's somehow a difference in the info displayed in WMP and what's in the file that gets imported.

I don’t use WMP so can’t comment. If you right mouse click on the track in windows explorer and choose properties and goto the details tab it’s shown in the media list as ‘Genre’, or you could maybe try the MP3Tag free software to view the track/album/library metadata. In the App the tag is also called ‘Genre’

If the issue persists, once you are satisfied that the track tags are correct, then perhaps try switching off your current ‘associated product’ as seen in the ‘About My System’ area of the Sonos App and then try re-indexing the library again.

Thanks for your help; problem solved. It was the properties. Might try the software as it's slow going, but at least the changes are working.