Gapless playback issues after 15.2 update

Userlevel 3
Badge

Is anyone else having issues with Gapless playback after updating to 15.2?

Scenario:

I have been using a loopable track on Apple Music via the built in Sonos player to play sleep sounds every night for years. This created a seamless sound with Gapless playback. 

Problem:

After the update to 15.2, there is a distinct gap between the end of the track and the beginning of the repeat making the feature unusable for sleep sounds.

Fix Needed

Restore previous function to allow Gapless playback on looped tracks.

and/or 

Allow reverting to a previous firmware

(Ideally allowing to revert by atleast two firmware revisions to allow people to experiment and see if a new update has fixed a previously experienced bug)

95 replies

This issue is really disappointing. It’s tarnished my thoughts of Sonos’ reputation. This issue makes my entire Sonos system useless and aggravating. 

I listen to music on Sonos to enjoy mixed tracks that blend into each other. With this audible gap between tracks, it’s like listening to fingers on a chalkboard for a split second. And you start anticipating it and cringe. Ouch!

I currently advise folks that ask to wait until this issue is resolved before thinking of Sonos. It’s been way too long for this issue to remain an issue, and it tells me that Sonos isn’t interested in music or amazing sound replication. Sonos wants the dollar. 

And those ERA 300’s would have made an awesome stereo pair for my bedroom. Maybe it’s time I explore investing in another setup. 

15.4 has STILL not resolved this issue. Off to find another option to provide music for my summer gatherings. I can’t replay these mixes like this for my events.  

Badge +2

I’ve had the same problem, I have a few gapless tracks that I use for white noise. They have been completely useless lately due to the pause at the end of the track. I was on the phone with support for over an hour one night after they went through useless suggestions after useless suggestion. I tried to tell them over and over again that it happened immediately after the update but they wern’t having it.

All I was trying to do was report a but and it seemed like they didn’t think it was their fault or anything on their end. Eventually I gave up.

Nice job Sonos team….SMH

Yes, welcome to Sonos ‘support.’ 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yeah there was a case number you could quote to add your story but the Sonos mods removed it from this stream. Not sure what the point was.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jmwarren85 

The concept of having a single case for multiple users to use simply doesn’t make sense with the software we use. Cases belong to individual users and the case number is used as one point of identification when a customer gets back in touch, so we remove case numbers from the community as a matter of course. Please do not share your case numbers on the community. Thank you.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Getting this too listening to Balance 031 - Tim Green on my new era 300’s it is somewhat ruining the experience please fix Sonos, 15.4 app version

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yet another update that has come and gone and still not fixed. Come on Sonos!!!

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have a theory that this is Apple music’s fault, this bug has been in the official Apple Music app multiple times now, they fix it in one version and break it in the next sort of thing. I’ve reported it to them numerous times.  However the Sonos app ‘talks to’ Apple Music is doing so with the bugged api version or something. It’s currently fixed in the latest version of Apple Music so if they update their api version it’ll work.  Just a guess

Badge

Using Apple Music within the Sonos App and gapless is still not available - has this been fixed?

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

Still a problem after 15.5

It is really ruining my Sonos experience, particularly as I love listening to Apple Music DJ Mixes.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Getting this too listening to Balance 031 - Tim Green on my new era 300’s it is somewhat ruining the experience please fix Sonos, 15.4 app version

Funny, I’ve also been listening to this mix a lot and also, really irritated by the gaps. 

I was told they’re aware of the issue but this has been going on since 15.2. We’re now at 15.5…

Perhaps we should all create new support tickets to put some pressure on.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

15.6 update does NOT solve the problem on my test album Abbey Road (2019 Mix)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Seems like the gap is smaller but yea, still a gap there

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

15.6 update does NOT solve the problem on my test album Abbey Road (2019 Mix)

Just my two cents. No problems whatsoever with gapless play. I tested Abbey Road (Beatles) twice (once the music files on my NAS, then through Spotify) and Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) also twice. Songs play without any gaps, happy to say. S2, 15.6.

Userlevel 1
Badge

The bug affects Apple Music gapless playback via the Sonos app only, NAS and Spotify are unaffected

Since both use exactly the same playback software, that suggests the issue is at the source, i.e. Apple’s servers. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Considering apple use their own AAC format and ALAC format for lossless / hi res / spatial I doubt it is the same software, but yes, could well be apples fault,  although through the official Apple Music app it works fine, problem only exists when using the Sonos app and selecting Apple Music content

I think you’re talking about the Apple playback software. So, yes, those would be different.

When you use the Sonos controller to initiate playback on Sonos speakers, all streaming sources use the same API and playback software.

The only difference from one stream to the next is the location of where the Sonos system gets the content, and of course the format of the content. Sonos has effectively no control over what it is sent, any challenges are at the source.

Userlevel 2
Badge

So upset this problem is lasting this long….my white noise situations has really sucked since this problem showed up.

Badge

There was a recent Sonos App upgrade, not sure what the latest version is. Has gapless playback of Apple Music within the Sonos App been resolved?

Userlevel 2
Badge

There was a recent Sonos App upgrade, not sure what the latest version is. Has gapless playback of Apple Music within the Sonos App been resolved?

no

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Not shockingly, 15.7 does not fix the issue.

@Corry P could you please perhaps provide some insight as to what’s going on? 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Not shockingly, 15.7 does not fix the issue.

@Corry P could you please perhaps provide some insight as to what’s going on? 

Agree’d, I now go into every updated with the thought of “no way is this update going to fix this”

Userlevel 3
Badge

Still very gapped for gapless playback.

5 software updates and literally no change.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @hobaSound et al

While I can’t really share anything regarding progress, I did enquire and I can say that we have been working on this and we expect a fix to be in place soon. I can’t give you a date.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Very poor Sonos, for the kind of people who only really listen to DJ mixes, this is a massive problem