Skip to main content

A problem with the last update, lost my music library (error code 913) using a MAC computer. I have read the posts from other users in the community and tried multiple work arounds. I called Sonos support, waited for an hour. The tech took control of my computer and could not fix the issue. I was told by Sonos tech support to call Apple to help fix my issue that Sonos created.  That was my tech support experience. I did get a case number with no solution. When is Sonos app update that is going to fix this issue be announced? When is the company going to address the issue and give updates to the solution? 

it is now no longer working. The connection has disappeared. I get this error when using my IP address: 

it is possible I am doing something wrong. That said, this should not be so challenging. Thoughts? Thanks 

Hi @csmo 

Sorry to hear that your Music Library has stopped working again!

Did you set a reserved IP address for your Mac on your network? If not, the Mac’s IP address may have changed and therefore the pointer to 192.168.1.3 would no longer work.

If it’s not that, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and what it reports.

I hope this helps.

Hi

Respectfully, the tech support I spoke with could not help at all. That’s where I got the opaque netbios advice. I did not get a reserved IP address because it all seemed to work. How would my IP address have changed? That IP address above is what I found yesterday. Finally, does the path look correct? 

Thank you. 

Hi @csmo 

If you did not reserve an address for your Mac, then it has likely changed. This will just happen - they are largely handed out at random by the router. Although a device will typically get the same IP address if it had one before, there’s no guarantee of this.

On your Mac, please check what the IP address is (the setting on Sonos will remain what at what it was set to, whereas the Mac will be able to tell you what it’s current address is) - if it is not 192.168.1.3, then your Sonos system does not know how to find it and will be unable to play Music Library.

If this is the case, then I can only recommend reserving an address for the Mac - either consult a manual as to how to go about it, or get in touch with our technical support team who would be able to remotely connect to your computer in order to do it for you.

Please note that if you do not reserve the specific address of 192.168.1.3, then you will need to update the Sonos setting for the Music Library’s path with the new reserved address.

If the path was correct before, it will be correct now (barring the IP address).

I hope this helps.

Thanks. The IP address in the screenshot is the current IP address. I asked if the path looked correct because the path is I am no longer certain if I have typed it write. So, assuming for the moment that that IP address is correct does the way I have typed the path look correct? Please bear in mind that while I am not a total novice with this level of futzing around I am fundamentally just of the mill consumer who spent a bunch of money on a product that I wish would work as it always has. 

Thanks again. I appreciate your help. 

Hi @csmo 

Thanks. The IP address in the screenshot is the current IP address. I asked if the path looked correct because the path is I am no longer certain if I have typed it write. So, assuming for the moment that that IP address is correct does the way I have typed the path look correct?

Yes, the syntax is correct. I just don’t know if the folders are, but if they were right before, then they will be right until you move your music folder.

Please bear in mind that while I am not a total novice with this level of futzing around I am fundamentally just of the mill consumer who spent a bunch of money on a product that I wish would work as it always has.

This is why I suggested calling in - it would be much quicker! And, less effort required from yourself. In addition, I can only guess as to what the problem is - if the IP address is correct, then something else must be an issue. The speaker’s logs need to be examined - another reason for calling.

Thanks again. I appreciate your help. 

You are most welcome!

Can I get a quick sanity check? So, from the current Mac Sonos app, on the current OS, if I click “My Music Folder” it is completely to be expected I get Error 913?

And, if I click “Another folder…” and go to the specific Music folder, on the internal drive of the Mac running the app, an Error 913 is also completely to be expected?

There is a multi-step workaround, which is to create a fake NAS share, and move my Music folder to that, and risk breaking Music but also where (subscription) Apple Music stores its files? Furthermore, that might not actually work, with additional workarounds such as using the IP address, and hoping the router doesn’t reallocate that, so I would be wise not to try this without hours to burn?

I just want to check that I have not missed something obvious here because otherwise this would be, even in Sonosworld 2024, absolutely insane. Is the person, people, or team who did this still employed by Sonos? Genuinely, I am hoping I’ve skimmed this thread too quickly and have made an embarrassing factual error, for which I would welcome correction.

Hi @alexjohnson 

Can I get a quick sanity check? So, from the current Mac Sonos app, on the current OS, if I click “My Music Folder” it is completely to be expected I get Error 913?

And, if I click “Another folder…” and go to the specific Music folder, on the internal drive of the Mac running the app, an Error 913 is also completely to be expected?

The top two options will no longer work, but I don’t think they will automatically give out a 913 error - that error should only appear if SMBv1 is detected. In either case, only the third option should be chosen - if you get a 913 error when choosing the third option, then you’ll need to ensure that SMBv1 is disabled on your Mac.

There is a multi-step workaround, which is to create a fake NAS share, and move my Music folder to that, and risk breaking Music but also where (subscription) Apple Music stores its files? Furthermore, that might not actually work, with additional workarounds such as using the IP address, and hoping the router doesn’t reallocate that, so I would be wise not to try this without hours to burn?

These are the only steps that will now work. These steps must be followed if you want locally stored music to play on your Sonos system.

It does not, however, require that you move your Music folder, only that you make it available for network sharing.

Utilising the IP address is not ideal, but also should not be necessary - using the computer’s own network name should work.

I strongly recommend that you follow the steps that have been provided - it’s why people have provided them. Alternatively, please call in so we can perform the set up for you.

I hope this helps.

Hello Corry P,

Is this workaround permanent, or will it be back as it was in the future?

Hello Corry P,

Is this workaround permanent, or will it be back as it was in the future?

It’s not a workaround and there is so much confusion on this topic it’s not funny! This is not helped as you have realised, by the Mac app still having old wizards in that no longer function, and will never function again. 

Sadly, at the same time as Sonos released the new app, they also stopped support in the speaker firmware for connecting to SMB v1 network shares, and also retrieving files via HTTP services. 

The SMBv1 issue only really impacts people with older NAS devices that don’t support SMB v2 or higher. 

The HTTP support is the one that stops the app wizards working. Sonos created code that they installed on your PC/Mac that could talk to the speakers using the HTTP protocol to ‘share’ your music over the network, but not via normal shared folder. The wizards will still happily try and set this up (bonkers I know) but will eventually fail as the speakers no longer support it… 

So the only option left, is to share a folder on your Mac/PC over the network and use the 3rd option to connect the speaker to that share. If you’re using a recent version of Mac OS or Windows, the SMB thing is a red herring as both will support SMBv2 or higher. 

The slight issue using a proper network share has over the Sonos HTTP method is that for some people their music folder is already on a shared cloud folder (One Drive/iCloud) and then you can run into issues sharing an already shared folder. In that case, you do need to relocate your music folder to your actual hard drive. 

Or, buy a NAS. 

Hi @Submarine 

Or, to put it another way: SMBv1 is unsecure and has been removed as a result. Microsoft (who wrote it) no longer advise it’s use. The Sonos Desktop controllers have been depreciated for some time (several years now), and will no longer be available once the new mobile app reaches functional parity. They will be replaced with the new Web App that allows access from any device rather than just those platforms specifically supported, and will never require updates (a common complaint about the Desktop app was that every time someone opened it - less regularly than the mobile app - an update was needed). As the Web App does not require an install to a local machine, this will no longer be the case, and the SonosLibraryService that got installed along with the app and provided HTTP sharing access will no longer be available. As a result, the only method that will be available to speakers to connect to a device to get music files will be via local file sharing (SMBv2/3 on S2 systems).

Although there are currently some teething issues - to put it mildly - the end result will be an improvement, overall.

The first two options have not been removed from the desktop controller because we are currently putting all our resources into improving the mobile app - far more people use it, and for sources other than Music Library.

There are no plans to go back to the previous way things worked.

I hope this helps.

My macOS is SMBv3.

Hi @Submarine 

Or, to put it another way: SMBv1 is unsecure and has been removed as a result. Microsoft (who wrote it) no longer advise it’s use. The Sonos Desktop controllers have been depreciated for some time (several years now), and will no longer be available once the new mobile app reaches functional parity. They will be replaced with the new Web App that allows access from any device rather than just those platforms specifically supported, and will never require updates (a common complaint about the Desktop app was that every time someone opened it - less regularly than the mobile app - an update was needed). As the Web App does not require an install to a local machine, this will no longer be the case, and the SonosLibraryService that got installed along with the app and provided HTTP sharing access will no longer be available. As a result, the only method that will be available to speakers to connect to a device to get music files will be via local file sharing (SMBv2/3 on S2 systems).

Although there are currently some teething issues - to put it mildly - the end result will be an improvement, overall.

The first two options have not been removed from the desktop controller because we are currently putting all our resources into improving the mobile app - far more people use it, and for sources other than Music Library.

There are no plans to go back to the previous way things worked.

I hope this helps.

So does that mean eventually the Web App will fit on a phone?

Hi @MoPac 

What kind of phone is not Android or iOS and therefore does not have a native app available? The Web App is intended for devices that cannot run the Android or iOS app - like my Chromebook, for example, or PC/Mac. I do understand that at present you may be looking for an alternative to the mobile app for your phone, but that is not the intended purpose of the Web App, and likely never will be.

Note that the restriction is merely aesthetic - you can tell Chrome or Safari (other browsers may vary - I don’t know) to load the desktop version of the Web App webpage and it will show, but it will be small and likely unsuitable for a small screen - unless you open it on a tablet or a folding phone, I suppose.

I hope this helps.