Skip to main content
Question

Emergency! Must downgrade new app ASAP

I just upgraded to the new Sonos app, what an AWFUL, AWFUL mistake that was!

I need to get the APK for the previous version. Please somebody send me a link.

The new app does not allow quick easy control of the volume and EQ settings from the main volume slider. Everything about the new UI is just incomplete or missing. Although I could probably get over how psychologically jarring the new change is (I even lose the app icon now its color has changed), basic features are just missing.

I can’t accept the inability to quickly control the sound I hear from a system designed for playing sound. Not fit for function any more! It’s got to go, will downgrade and block future updates.

Sad to say Sonos, bitterly disappointing.

Where are you getting the 16.1 ipa file. Couldn’t get it from ipaarchive?

You get the build number of 16.1 from ipaarchive.  You get the actual file from itunes using Charles Proxy as I have outlined.

You go to https://ipaarchive.com/.  Type in Sonos and your country. Click download on icon, download again on the ladning page.  You should see the build number and release date:

864228318 16.1 / 78.1.51030 2024-03-04 16:03:14

Ah OK assumed I needed the actual IPA, didn’t comprehend I could get it through CP. Thank you.

I have a laptop that I can put this version of iTunes on (my main machine already has a later iTunes version and I don't want to mess with that) but can the old 16.1 Gold version and the new piece of rubbish both exist on my iPhone or do I replace the newer version?

I suggest deleting the new app and then installing the old app. If you need to have both versions of the same app on your iPhone, it's possible, but the process is a bit involved.

For background, every application on your phone has a unique "BundleID" assigned by the vendor. The BundleID for the S2 controller is "com.sonos.SonosController2," and it remains the same across all versions. To have both versions of the controller on your phone, you will need to change the BundleID of one of the apps. I would recommended changing the BundleID for version 16.1 so you can continue receiving updates for the new app. Additionally, you may want to change the BundleDisplayName to distinguish between the two apps easily.

It's been quite a while since I last did this and my experience is outdated. I believe the easiest method nowadays is to use an application called Sideloady. Although I haven't used it myself, I've read that it has an easy-to-understand GUI and works for non-jailbroken devices (which I assume you have).

Thanks, I’ll do that. I thought the whole thing wasn't going to work as the Sonos app download kept failing but then suddenly it appeared to work and i seem to have a copy of 16.1 in iTunes (a separate copy on a laptop). All I need to do now is move the app from iTunes to my phone ! Very nerve wracking 😊

Well, that took some doing but it worked! I now have a working 16.1 app on my phone which will be staying right were it is until Sonos sort out the new one with at least  working Local Library management. I just hope that Sonos don’t put up any barriers to using 16.1 until that happens

We really shouldn't have to go these lengths to be able manage our own music

Where are you getting the 16.1 ipa file. Couldn’t get it from ipaarchive?

You get the build number of 16.1 from ipaarchive.  You get the actual file from itunes using Charles Proxy as I have outlined.

You go to https://ipaarchive.com/.  Type in Sonos and your country. Click download on icon, download again on the ladning page.  You should see the build number and release date:

864228318 16.1 / 78.1.51030 2024-03-04 16:03:14

Ah OK assumed I needed the actual IPA, didn’t comprehend I could get it through CP. Thank you.

I have a laptop that I can put this version of iTunes on (my main machine already has a later iTunes version and I don't want to mess with that) but can the old 16.1 Gold version and the new piece of rubbish both exist on my iPhone or do I replace the newer version?

I suggest deleting the new app and then installing the old app. If you need to have both versions of the same app on your iPhone, it's possible, but the process is a bit involved.

For background, every application on your phone has a unique "BundleID" assigned by the vendor. The BundleID for the S2 controller is "com.sonos.SonosController2," and it remains the same across all versions. To have both versions of the controller on your phone, you will need to change the BundleID of one of the apps. I would recommended changing the BundleID for version 16.1 so you can continue receiving updates for the new app. Additionally, you may want to change the BundleDisplayName to distinguish between the two apps easily.

It's been quite a while since I last did this and my experience is outdated. I believe the easiest method nowadays is to use an application called Sideloady. Although I haven't used it myself, I've read that it has an easy-to-understand GUI and works for non-jailbroken devices (which I assume you have).

Thanks, I’ll do that. I thought the whole thing wasn't going to work as the Sonos app download kept failing but then suddenly it appeared to work and i seem to have a copy of 16.1 in iTunes (a separate copy on a laptop). All I need to do now is move the app from iTunes to my phone ! Very nerve wracking 😊

Well, that took some doing but it worked! I now have a working 16.1 app on my phone which will be staying right were it is until Sonos sort out the new one with at least  working Local Library management. I just hope that Sonos don’t put up any barriers to using 16.1 until that happens

We really shouldn't have to go these lengths to be able manage our own music

...and AlexPermit, I forgot to say thanks 😊

You’re welcome!  I’m happy to hear it worked.

I presume that now I have the ipa file, putting it back on the phone would be very easy (I have iMazing) if I DO accidently let the app update? 

TBH, if they sort local library searching, I’ll put up with the rest of the app as I’ve not has some of the issues that others are seeing with connectivity etc, but the old app is a breath of fresh air by comparison (and that’s something I never thought I’d say). 

I presume that now I have the ipa file, putting it back on the phone would be very easy (I have iMazing) if I DO accidently let the app update? 

TBH, if they sort local library searching, I’ll put up with the rest of the app as I’ve not has some of the issues that others are seeing with connectivity etc, but the old app is a breath of fresh air by comparison (and that’s something I never thought I’d say). 

Yes it should be easy.  I have also added the ipa file to Imazing’s local library to be triple sure. I’m only afraid that I (or my wife) will accidently update the firmware. I’m not sure what that would do to the old app.

I also agree about the old app.  As Joni Mitchell said, “you don’t know what you’ve got till its gone”.

Take a look at the SonoPhone app - it’s better than S2 was in many ways.

Take a look at the SonoPhone app - it’s better than S2 was in many ways.

I’ve got both the Sonophone and Sonopad apps and they both work flawlessly for finding and playing local library files, but, of course, they don’t do any of the things the Sonos app can do around controlling your system.

Hey!

Just did this for kicks and to make sure I have a backup copy just in case and tossed it into iMazing. It does indeed say 16.1, but the icon is still black, at least under the Windows iTunes display…….same for anyone else?

The file size is def smaller then the new one, and opening it up an Pacifist suggests that it’s the App from March, so I assume it worked.

--Brian

Hey!

Just did this for kicks and to make sure I have a backup copy just in case and tossed it into iMazing. It does indeed say 16.1, but the icon is still black, at least under the Windows iTunes display…….same for anyone else?

The file size is def smaller then the new one, and opening it up an Pacifist suggests that it’s the App from March, so I assume it worked.

--Brian

Mine has reverted to the gold icon on the phone but was black in iTunes, so seems to be Ok. Certainly works exactly as you’d expect on the phone (and as it did before the nightmare began). I wonder how long it will be before Sonos stop 16.1 working? 

Well that didn't take long 😡

What’s your firmware? All of mine are still on 16.1.1, build 78152020.

I’ve got both the Sonophone and Sonopad apps and they both work flawlessly for finding and playing local library files, but, of course, they don’t do any of the things the Sonos app can do around controlling your system.

Good to hear @ainsley002! A little added color for anyone considering this route: you can install  the Sonophone app side-by-side with the new Sonos app and both will work. That gives you the stability and functionality (plus reduced frustration) of Sonophone while you play with the (slowly improving) new Sonos app.

16.2 as I’d already done that update, unfortunately. I presume that's the problem although it did work fine for almost a whole day !  Just caught up, I imagine. 

Good to hear @ainsley002! A little added color for anyone considering this route: you can install  the Sonophone app side-by-side with the new Sonos app and both will work. That gives you the stability and functionality (plus reduced frustration) of Sonophone while you play with the (slowly improving) new Sonos app.

So at least we know that there’s no technical reason WHY Sonos can’t bring that functionality back to their App. If another App is doing all of it before their App, they can’t say its impossible :-P

16.2 as I’d already done that update, unfortunately. I presume that's the problem although it did work fine for almost a whole day !  Just caught up, I imagine. 

That’s unfortunate.  Your assumption about 16.2 is probably correct.  Strange it gave you a grace period before complaining.  It makes me wonder if the system somehow “phoned home” to discover the “incompatability”.  Did you turn off “check for updates” in the Sonos App when you originally installed it?

I’m guessing you already tried closing the Sonos App then restarting it.

What Alex said: 16.2 feels like a “pusher” to get people on the new 80.x software? Because that 16.2 came out like the next day after the new App launched right?

What Alex said: 16.2 feels like a “pusher” to get people on the new 80.x software? Because that 16.2 came out like the next day after the new App launched right?

Good detective work @AlexPermit and @CronoCX! FWIW, I’ve been running the v16.2 firmware with a mix of v80.x apps (iOS, iPadOS) and v16.1 apps (Android) and have not been nagged to update … yet.

My impression was the v16.2 firmware re-introduced the ability to edit alarm settings. YMMV.

So messy. Ugh. It makes me sad that people can’t just do the simple thing of hearing music on their system. It’s a big thing for me. I’m also helping a friend with an issue that I’ll be posting about today. It’s crazy how broke things are :-(

That’s unfortunate.  Your assumption about 16.2 is probably correct.  Strange it gave you a grace period before complaining.  It makes me wonder if the system somehow “phoned home” to discover the “incompatability”.  Did you turn off “check for updates” in the Sonos App when you originally installed it?

Yes, updating off and several restarts tried. Now I have the 16.1 .ipa file I might try deleting 80 off the phone and putting 16.1 back on just to see what happens

Yes, updating off and several restarts tried. Now I have the 16.1 .ipa file I might try deleting 80 off the phone and putting 16.1 back on just to see what happens

Did you have 80 on your phone when you were running 16.1 and came accross the update message? 

Good detective work @AlexPermit and @CronoCX! FWIW, I’ve been running the v16.2 firmware with a mix of v80.x apps (iOS, iPadOS) and v16.1 apps (Android) and have not been nagged to update … yet.

My impression was the v16.2 firmware re-introduced the ability to edit alarm settings. YMMV.

That is quite telling.  I can’t imagine Sonos would have introduced a 16.1 block on IOS but not on Android.  Then again, I can’t imagine they would have released v80 in the state it was in 😁

Good detective work @AlexPermit and @CronoCX! FWIW, I’ve been running the v16.2 firmware with a mix of v80.x apps (iOS, iPadOS) and v16.1 apps (Android) and have not been nagged to update … yet.

That is quite telling.  I can’t imagine Sonos would have introduced a 16.1 block on IOS but not on Android.  Then again, I can’t imagine they would have released v80 in the state it was in 😁

To be clear, I meant the 16.2 firmware, not the Sonos App. 

@AlexPermit Yeah. I can’t believe they did either. Yesterday I was helping a friend who has been plagued with issues since his accidental update and it was the first time I’d used the new App and wow it’s garbage top to bottom. I find it more confusing to use than the old one. And the persistent “now playing” pop up is annoying as hell. 

To be clear, I meant the 16.2 firmware, not the Sonos App. 

@AlexPermit Yeah. I can’t believe they did either. Yesterday I was helping a friend who has been plagued with issues since his accidental update and it was the first time I’d used the new App and wow it’s garbage top to bottom. I find it more confusing to use than the old one. And the persistent “now playing” pop up is annoying as hell. 

I had a brief encounter with it, and I agree.

I take it from your post you are the “local tech support” in your circle of friends 😀 What would they have done without you around 😨

If you happen to have a spare IOS device laying around and was willing to put in the time, it would be interesting to see if you get the same problem @ainsley002 has.

Did you have 80 on your phone when you were running 16.1 and came accross the update message? 

No, I deleted 80 and rebooted the phone before putting 16.1 back on.