Skip to main content
Question

Emergency! Must downgrade new app ASAP

I just upgraded to the new Sonos app, what an AWFUL, AWFUL mistake that was!

I need to get the APK for the previous version. Please somebody send me a link.

The new app does not allow quick easy control of the volume and EQ settings from the main volume slider. Everything about the new UI is just incomplete or missing. Although I could probably get over how psychologically jarring the new change is (I even lose the app icon now its color has changed), basic features are just missing.

I can’t accept the inability to quickly control the sound I hear from a system designed for playing sound. Not fit for function any more! It’s got to go, will downgrade and block future updates.

Sad to say Sonos, bitterly disappointing.

66 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

UPDATE: Found the APKs and managed to successfully downgrade 🤡

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/

Thank goodness I have all my functionality working again. Blocked future automatic updates and will have to start looking at competitor systems if this isn’t sorted out before my next purchase.

Dear Sonos: READ THE ROOM.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

I forgot to say that you have to uninstall the new crap version of the app before the older better one can be installed.  But as soon as it rediscovers the system and you login everything come right back.

Userlevel 1

Does anyone have the link to downgrade to the old app when you have Apple products (iphone, iPad, etc.)?

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Sorry I don’t trust Apple because of the same sort of crap Sonos is pulling right now. I still have iMusic thing but that’s it. I hope someone can help you with a link soon, I feel your pain :(

Userlevel 6
Badge

I saw that they have disabled downgrading to S1 now as well. 

an apple link would be Gold!! This version is beyond terrible for anyone with large libraries. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

FYI https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos-inc/sonos-for-android/sonos-for-android-16-1-release/ worked for me. Make sure you turn off auto updates after installing or it will put v80 back!!  :-)

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Thank you so much folks, can't believe dealing with my Sonos Playlists not working!

Userlevel 1

I have *never* seen such a terrible “upgrade”. Playlists gone and connection to my local service (Subsonic), which I exclusively use, gone ! App constatntly loading. Not usable. I just downgraded. If they take away the old app (by making it not usable in the future) or do not fix the new one I will sell my speakers !

Userlevel 2

Came here for this. I knew I couldn’t be alone. Developers of that upgrade screwed up BIGTIME. Looks cool out of the gate. Within seconds it’s quite apparent, utter garbage….fail. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

The new app is certainly terrible. It has ruined my system. I have a library with 25,000+ songs and it no longer searches. It is unstable and playlists that combined a music service and library no longer work. It is also ugly and non user-friendly.

How can I rollback to 16.1 on an Iphone? (APK Mirror is only for Android devices).

Thanks.

No Timer; no volume button; and no way to switch to another network. Plus lots of trouble figuring out what had been intuitive on every Sonos app over the nearly 20 years I have been using Sonos and upgrading $$$.  
CAN YOU JUST DO WHAT COKE DID TO NEW COKE AND GET RID OF THIS APP IMMEDIATELY.  WHY CAN’T YOU JUST REVERT BACK TO THE 2023 VERSION.  

THIS APP IS JUST AWFUL 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Briarcliff 

No volume button? What do you mean? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

How can I rollback to 16.1 on an Iphone? (APK Mirror is only for Android devices).

Unfortunately, there is no iOS methodology for rolling back an app. Even an iOS backup doesn’t help, as it stores a simple ‘pointer’ to each app … during a restore from backup, the latest version of each app is pulled from the app store.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Unfortunately, there is no iOS methodology for rolling back an app. Even an iOS backup doesn’t help, as it stores a simple ‘pointer’ to each app … during a restore from backup, the latest version of each app is pulled from the app store.

Actually there is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Actually there is.

Okay. Go on?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Actually there is.

Okay. Go on?

To downgrade the Sonos app to version 16.1 (build number 864228318), you'll need a Windows machine, iTunes 12.6.5, Charles Proxy, and an application to install the IPA file onto your device, such as iMazing or AppManager.

First, download and install the old version of iTunes (12.6.5) on your Windows machine. This version of iTunes allows you to download an IPA file from the App Store. Next, set up Charles Proxy and use it to set a breakpoint on the API call that downloads an app. Thien override the iTunes API call with the version number of the old Sonos app. Once you have the old Sonos IPA file, use an application like iMazing or AppManager to install the IPA file onto your device.  I use IImazing but I expect most people would prefer AppManager.

Do a goole search on  “Downgrade Apps on AppStore with iTunes 12.6.5 & Charles Proxy site:github.com” for very well-written and detailed instructions. The only other advice I would add is to use 100% scaling on your display when running Charles Proxy. That application does not work well with a scaled display.

Is that helpful?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Actually there is.

Okay. Go on?

Unfortunately the mods did not let me post my instructions.  To be more specific, it seems they blocked it.

There is well written documentation on github regarding how to downgrade apps on the appstore.  It does not require a jailbreak.  

Moderator edit: nothing was blocked - the system thought your previous post was spam due to all the numbers

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Moderator edit: nothing was blocked - the system thought your previous post was spam due to all the numbers

Thank you for that.  

Here is a version of my instructions without alot of numbers:

You need to install iTunes 12.6.5 on a Windows machine and adjust its settings to prevent updates. Then, install Charles Proxy and set up a Root Certificate to intercept the app download request. Once set up, create a breakpoint in Charles Proxy to intercept the download process, allowing you to download the desired older version of the app (IPA file).  You will need the build number for the old version, which can be found in ipaarchive.  Finally, you can install the downgraded IPA file onto your device using Imazing (which I did) or AppManager (which is probably what most people will want to use).

Where are you getting the 16.1 ipa file. Couldn’t get it from ipaarchive?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

You get the build number of 16.1 from ipaarchive.  You get the actual file from itunes using Charles Proxy as I have outlined.

You go to https://ipaarchive.com/.  Type in Sonos and your country. Click download on icon, download again on the landing page.  There will be a list of versions.  You should see the build number and release date for the version you want:

864228318 16.1 / 78.1.51030 2024-03-04 16:03:14

You get the build number of 16.1 from ipaarchive.  You get the actual file from itunes using Charles Proxy as I have outlined.

You go to https://ipaarchive.com/.  Type in Sonos and your country. Click download on icon, download again on the ladning page.  You should see the build number and release date:

Ah OK assumed I needed the actual IPA, didn’t comprehend I could get it through CP. Thank you.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

You go to https://ipaarchive.com/.  Type in Sonos and your country. Click download on icon, download again on the ladning page.  You should see the build number and release date:

Ah OK assumed I needed the actual IPA, didn’t comprehend I could get it through CP. Thank you.

You’re welcome.

Technically, you are downloading the app through iTunes and using Charles Proxy (CP) to "trick" iTunes into downloading a specific version of the app.

You need to be logged into iTunes with your Apple ID when downloading the app because, when the app is first opened, you will be prompted to enter the Apple ID used to "purchase" it. This requirement is why a generic IPA file won't work as it does with APK files on Android. On iOS, the IPA file is tied to an Apple account.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I have a laptop that I can put this version of iTunes on (my main machine already has a later iTunes version and I don't want to mess with that) but can the old 16.1 Gold version and the new piece of rubbish both exist on my iPhone or do I replace the newer version?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I have a laptop that I can put this version of iTunes on (my main machine already has a later iTunes version and I don't want to mess with that) but can the old 16.1 Gold version and the new piece of rubbish both exist on my iPhone or do I replace the newer version?

I suggest deleting the new app and then installing the old app. If you need to have both versions of the same app on your iPhone, it's possible, but the process is a bit involved.

For background, every application on your phone has a unique "BundleID" assigned by the vendor. The BundleID for the S2 controller is "com.sonos.SonosController2," and it remains the same across all versions. To have both versions of the controller on your phone, you will need to change the BundleID of one of the apps. I would recommended changing the BundleID for version 16.1 so you can continue receiving updates for the new app. Additionally, you may want to change the BundleDisplayName to distinguish between the two apps easily.

It's been quite a while since I last did this and my experience is outdated. I believe the easiest method nowadays is to use an application called Sideloady. Although I haven't used it myself, I've read that it has an easy-to-understand GUI and works for non-jailbroken devices (which I assume you have).

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I suggest deleting the new app and then installing the old app. If you need to have both versions of the same app on your iPhone, it's possible, but the process is a bit involved.

For background, every application on your phone has a unique "BundleID" assigned by the vendor. The BundleID for the S2 controller is "com.sonos.SonosController2," and it remains the same across all versions. To have both versions of the controller on your phone, you will need to change the BundleID of one of the apps. I would recommended changing the BundleID for version 16.1 so you can continue receiving updates for the new app. Additionally, you may want to change the BundleDisplayName to distinguish between the two apps easily.

It's been quite a while since I last did this and my experience is outdated. I believe the easiest method nowadays is to use an application called Sideloady. Although I haven't used it myself, I've read that it has an easy-to-understand GUI and works for non-jailbroken devices (which I assume you have).

Thanks, I’ll do that. I thought the whole thing wasn't going to work as the Sonos app download kept failing but then suddenly it appeared to work and i seem to have a copy of 16.1 in iTunes (a separate copy on a laptop). All I need to do now is move the app from iTunes to my phone ! Very nerve wracking 😊