Answered

Does playing music by using Alexa strip Dolby Atmos mixing?

• 3 February 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi there, 

I noticed a difference in how songs are displayed in the Sonos app when I play a playlist on Amazon music directly from the Sonos app vs telling Alexa to put a playlist on.

I have a playlist with all Dolby Atmos songs on Amazon and when I play it by selecting it from the Sonos app it displays Dolby Atmos in the app. When I tell Alexa to play that same playlist though and check in the app the Dolby Atmos titling isn't there. 

Is this just a visual or display glitch of some kind? I'm not sure if it's just in my head but I do think I hear a difference between the music being played directly from the Sonos app vs Alexa. 

Would it be possible for this to be fixed somehow? 

icon

Best answer by Mr. T 3 February 2023, 20:22

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7

You are correct there is a difference in the audio being played.

You will receive Dolby Atmos playing Amazon Music from the Sonos app, or by requesting using Sonos Voice Control.

Using Alexa will only obtain the stereo version of the track.

This is not an error, but how the Alexa integration with Sonos works, so it is not technically “broken”. Blame Amazon for that.

I appreciate the clarification. I'll take up a ticket with Amazon. It doesn't make sense for them to be passing stereo versions. They need to fix that. 

oh boy… this is why 99% of technology is waisted. Either Apple will come up with something better and bury this tech or Dolby will need to make their services work more flawless… hurry up peeps its already 2023, the time is NOW 🎸