Does anybody have a Samsung Galaxy S24 and is using a SONOS WiFi speaker?

• 23 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi all, 
I want to buy a Samsung Galaxy S24 but first I need to find out if something is possible.
As described here:

I have a SONOS Five​​​​​​ connected to WiFi.

I know that some phones don’t let me control the SONOS volume unless I am currently in the Spotify or Sonos app. 
But Ideally, I could always control the SONOS Volume with the hardware buttons (even when it’s locked, for example)

I know this problem doesn’t apply to iPhone.

Can anybody w a Samsung S24 take one minute to test this out for me?
I’d be eternally grateful.

More details: Here’s the problem that I am facing with some other Android Devices:

If I change the volume when the phone is locked or I am outside the Spotify or Sonos app, it just controls the phone ringtone volume. So every time I have to adjust the volume, i need  to unlock the phone, open one of the 2 apps, and control the volume. this does take up a lot of time because i need to adjust the volume very frequently.

I already adjusted the settings as shown in the following articles

Control Sonos volume with a mobile device’s hardware buttons

Control Sonos from the Android lock screen

Moderator edit: combined posts

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dani.w_nders 

Thanks for your post!

I don’t have a Samsung Galaxy S24, but I can tell you that the use of a phone’s hardware volume buttons to control Sonos volume when the Sonos app is not open and active has been removed from all Android and iOS devices - it doesn’t matter which phone you opt for.

To be clear, neither Google (authors of Android) nor Apple want their hardware buttons to be used in this way, and as such, we were forces to make the change, or face our app’s deletion from the respective app stores.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Cheers @Corry P - sad, but obviously your hands are tied. Thanks for letting me know.

when was that change made?

And any chance I would be able to find an apk for android where I can install the old version of the app, bypassing the play store? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @dani.w_nders 

when was that change made?

I’m not sure where to find this info, to be honest. Possibly July 2023.

And any chance I would be able to find an apk for android where I can install the old version of the app, bypassing the play store? 

No - your speakers and app must be on the same software versions for full functionality, and there is no way of downgrading the speaker’s software. Therefore, providing older versions of the app would be largely pointless.

I did come across the following information, however, that you may find useful:

Hardware volume controls will work when the Sonos app is open and playing audio. If lock screen controls are enabled, the volume buttons will control Sonos even if the app isn’t active, as long as music is playing. The controls will not be available when:

• Viewing the home screen
  • Another app on the device is playing music or video
  • Connected to a Bluetooth audio device
  • A screen reader is enabled
  • Headphones are connected
  • The cell phone has an active call

I hope this helps.