Answered

Correct order to reestablish sonos system on S1 app

• 20 November 2022
  • 4 replies

Every time I lose power or have issues and I have to reset cable model and wifi network sonos loses my system and it is frustrating and takes forever to get up an running. When I have to reset wifi network what are the exact steps need in order to get S1 app to recongize my system speakers.  I have 12 old legacy sonos speakers and it is such a pain in the ass.

Tell me order: unplug all speakers wait 10 seconds, do i power down booster

icon

Best answer by Corry P 22 November 2022, 12:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Michael_53 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Generally, for a best-possible refresh, I’d recommend the following:

1. Turn off all Sonos devices and your router
  2. Once router has been off for at least 30 seconds, turn it back on
  3. Once WiFi has returned, reapply power to any Sonos products that are ethernet-wired to the network. Wait for solid white lights. If no Sonos products are ethernet-wired, skip this step
  4. Reapply power to wireless Sonos units
  5. Wait a couple of minutes before opening the Sonos app

However, you should not need to do this - regardless of any power outages, your Sonos system should rebuild itself - at most - a couple of minutes after the router has finished booting up. As you have issues, however, you will probably find it beneficial to reserve IP addresses for your Sonos products in the router’s settings to ensure no other devices take them and cause conflicts. How exactly you go about doing this, I can’t currently say, but searching the internet for “IP reservation” and the model name of your router should yield results. Alternatively, you could contact your ISP for instructions, or get in touch with our technical support team, who have tools at their disposal that will allow them to do it for you, via remote access to a computer.

When you say “power down booster”, are you talking about a Sonos Boost (which just counts as an ethernet-wired device in the steps above) or a WiFi Booster? If it’s the latter, we recommend turning it off and keeping it off - we don’t support their use, and it could quite easily be the cause of the issues you describe. A mesh WiFi system would serve you better, though if used in conjunction with your current router should be placed into Bridge/AP mode, also to prevent IP conflicts.

I hope this helps. You may also find my article of help:

Thanks for the info.  Yes, I meant Sonos Boost for “powering down booster”.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Michael_53 

Ah good - that keeps things a bit simpler, at least. And you are very welcome!

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

@Michael_53 - Also worth mentioning is to keep the Boost at least 1m away from the router to minimise cross-interference.