Answered

Chapter lists on audible

• 1 June 2023
  • 5 replies

Is there anyway I can see the chapter list on Sonos app when i am listening to a book though audible? 

Currently I just have to press the skip or rewind buttons to find a chapter which is annoying if you need to go back say 20 chapters for the kids.

Just want to be able to hit chapter 4 and go etc.

Just seems such a long winded approach 

icon

Best answer by Corry P 5 June 2023, 11:20

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @Jboyc 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

Is there anyway I can see the chapter list on Sonos app when i am listening to a book though audible? 

Not as far as I am aware, but there is a workaround - you can use the Audible app to play to Sonos:

Once the user is signed into the Audible app, a list of free or purchased books will appear. Tapping on the book title will download this book to the Device. To play the book, tap on the book title, then select the Now Playing bar at the bottom of the screen.

IMG_7269.PNG

Control

Upon selection, the book will appear along with controls for starting playback, adjusting volume, scrubbing, and skipping backward and forward 30 seconds. There will also be an option to Connect to a Device.

IMG_7267.PNG

Connect to a Device

Selecting "Connect to a Device" will allow you to choose the Sonos product to play Audible content to. If you wish to play to a group, you will need to click "Edit" at the right. This will direct back to the Sonos app to select groups.

IMG_7263.PNG

Authorize

Selecting a Sonos device will prompt an “Authorization Required” dialog box. Select "Ok" to log in with your Audible credentials to listen on Sonos. You will only need to do this once. image.png

Other Features

When controlling a Sonos device, the Chapters feature is available. Note that Speed, Sleep Timer, and Bookmark features are not available for Sonos systems and owners cannot change playback speed.

IMG_7265.PNG

Select Chapters

Selecting the Chapters icon at the bottom of the app will allow the user to view and select chapters.

IMG_7266.PNG

I hope this helps.

Currently I just have to press the skip or rewind buttons to find a chapter which is annoying if you need to go back say 20 chapters for the kids.

Just want to be able to hit chapter 4 and go etc.

Just seems such a long winded approach 

Hi there! I understand the frustration of not being able to view chapter lists on the Sonos app while listening to Audible books. It's definitely a feature many users would appreciate.

What is up with Sonos and the lack of basic features and functionality? I own $3000 worth of Sonos products and I can’t see the Audible chapter list in the Sonos app? Weak. Furthermore, I just found that streaming music through Amazon Music HD or UHD produces drop outs. I’ve spent countless hours trying to figure this issue out, rebooting, disconnecting and reconnecting the entire system including my router and modem and bought a boost only to discover the same issues exist. For the premium that Sonos charges for their products, they should be fixing these issues rather than relying on other users to help solve their problems. The simplest of features, a chapter list, is not available. Wild. And streaming HD music from the worlds largest music streaming service is an issue? Unacceptable. 

Sonos is a TV set for the ears. Any missing features, such as chapters, inside a stream, are part of the stream, and the responsibility of the generating company (Audible). Just as you wouldn’t blame LG for issues with HBO.

Also, Sonos, being a network connected device, relies on a robust network to receive information. If you’re experiencing dropouts, you should submit a diagnostic to Sonos, who may be able to see the cause in the data, and help you fix the connection issues. Switching to a BOOST doesn’t fix connection issues that are outside of your home, it just moves the Sonos connection from your personal WiFi to a parallel WiFi system created by Sonos. 

Yes, the issues you’re experiencing with connections are unacceptable. You should contact Sonos and seek assistance. And you should contact Audible, and tell them that not sending chapter information to Sonos is equally unacceptable. Be proactive!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

What is up with Sonos and the lack of basic features and functionality? I own $3000 worth of Sonos products and I can’t see the Audible chapter list in the Sonos app? Weak. …

The simplest of features, a chapter list, is not available. Wild. Unacceptable. 

The options provided by Audible is entirely up to Audible. Sonos just present the content they get from the third party services. If you would like a chapter list, ask Audible to provide one on their SMAPI endpoint.