Skip to main content
Answered

CD-player with USB via PC & Windows media player to Sonos Play 5 - solution?

• 10 August 2023
  • 3 replies

Is it possible to connect my CD-player with USB-connection via PC & Windows media player to my Sonos Play 5?

I have no problem to stream music on my PC to Sonos Play 5. 

The CD-player shows up on the media player, but I can not stream the music to Sonos, like I can with local music albums on the PC.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

There are some option.

• Rip the CD using media player or similar to your music directory, and play from there.
  • Use a Cable from the Headphone out to the Play 5 Line In when playing the CD.

I’ve not seen a way to stream Windows Media Player to Sonos.  Although there may be someone along who has another answer.

Personally, I prefer ripping. You’ll need to learn how to use a program, but this will be a one time chore requiring a few minutes. Once ripped, the CD will be instantly available in the future. Depending on the computer speed ripping a CD will only require a couple minutes. In my opinion the only down side of ripping before playing, is that if a friend brings a CD, it’s not quite an instant ‘drop-in and play’ experience.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

I do not think what you want is possible. Having files on a hard drive on your PC is different from having files on a CD-player connected to your PC. There's no way another Sonos device will connect to a USB on a CD-player.