Question

Cannot connect existing speakers to new wifi network since update

• 7 June 2024
  • 8 replies

Is the reason I cannot add my Sonos One speakers on to my new Wi-Fi network because of this horrendous ‘upgrade’? Using my iPad and / or phone, it just says it cannot find them to connect. Been on hold to Sonos Support now for 2hours 25 minutes and counting…

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Does the new network have a different name and password? If so, are you able to change them to your old SSID and password? This would allow all your devices to reconnect without having to change everything. This will only work if you have not reset your speakers.

Are you able to connect a speaker directly to your main router?

Have a look at this article:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

I just moved houses and am having the same difficulty.  I have four sonos one speakers and cannot connect any of them to wifi. 

I have tried

• Hard-wiring the speakers (per these instructions)
  • Factory resetting the speakers
  • Updating the firmware on all the speakers

Despite this, I cannot update the wifi details.

Does the new network have a different name and password? If so, are you able to change them to your old SSID and password?

I wonder if Sonos is able to change their app behavior to the old app behavior so that updating the wifi information works.

Are you able to connect a speaker directly to your main router?

Have a look at this article:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/connect-sonos-to-a-new-router-or-wi-fi-network

I have tried wiring the speakers to the router, but the app is not smart enough to just use the wired connection, so it fails to find them.

I have tried factory resetting the devices, but that only works if they are wired, and if they are wired it does not prompt for wifi information during setup.

Even one Factory Reset is usually a waste of time because this does not resolve fundamental issues. The frustration is that it may accidentally, temporarily work around something. I don’t recommend Factory Reset without further consult.

Likely there will be an update on Tuesday morning that may resolve this issue. Until then you can work with SONOS phone support.

Here is some additional information. Note that a Factory reset of all system units will trash your SONOS Playlists and music service registrations. The local library index, if any, will also be trashed, but this can be rebuilt.

Thank you for all your replies. I spent over 4 hours to Sonos on phone (1 hour actually speaking to someone) and she tried everything,  resetting one of the two speakers, connecting speakers to router with ethernet cable, delving into the settings, and a dozen other things - nothing worked. She's escalated it to level 2, but I've heard nothing.  The WiFi is fine, everything else works off it. I'll look at your responses and perhaps find someone I know tech savvy and pay them in booze to sort it. 

Same problem here. This isn’t new and has existed for at least the last 18 months but as I have come to notice with Sonos, fixes are never quick - if they come at all!

Every time Sonos put out and update, this completes and then the whole system stops responding to voice commands, reports “no internet connection”, and requires several restarts to get it back on to the same WiFi network that it used to download and install the update. it makes no sense and is clearly a failure in the update install process that they they’re not not addressing.

Last time I had to reset the whole system, all speakers, amp etc. then reconfigure and setup voice services again. This time it’s updated this evening and it’s offline again.  it is absolutely ridiculous that the user experience is so poor on what is not a cheap system and is suppose to make your life easier with the assistants etc.

It would be so easy to recommend this system, when it works it’s great. However, unless you’re comfortable playing with tech support, which most are not, you find yourself unable to recommend Sonos as that’s exactly how you’ll end up!

Sonos, please stop focussing on flashy apps and gimmicks and get the product stable. If you don’t get a grip, your return customer numbers are going to start to fall off a cliff and you’ll become the new Nokia!

That Sonos charges what they charge for what I could have bought 2 or 3 times the amount of bluetooth hardware for… you would hope they had their poop in a group when it came to backwards compatibility!!!

That I changed to a faster provider and put in a new router should be just a matter of going into settings and changing the network I’m on and the associated password. That’s STANDARD PRACTICE in most app-controller software!!!!!

This stinks to high Heaven Sonos !!!!!!!