Skip to main content
Question

Cannot access Music Library via new app

Hello

I am trying to add my remote music library (on external G-Tech drive) via the new app, or if not that, add iTunes. I cannot access either at present, only Deezer.

I have (I think) done everything i am supposed to do - followed all the instructions. I have added the music folder via sharing as suggested. I have typed //computer name/sharename. Every time I try to add a folder it rejects my username and password. Why? I have used the user name and password for my computer that I always used to use when adding anything to Sonos. I then tried my email address and Sonos account password. Neither of these work. 

Any advice would be appreciated. I have spent hours and hours trying to sort this out.

12 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

It is easier to use a PC when adding a shared drive to Sonos. The mobile app still has issues with local libraries. 

Also, make sure you have the correct SMB version enabled on the drive. Sonos no longer supports SMB v1.

I have been trying to find what SMB is on my drive for months, ever since all this started, without success. 

Anyway, I have suddenly realised I can download all my music onto YouTube Music and play it via that on Sonos.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I have been trying to find what SMB is on my drive for months, ever since all this started, without success. 

If you use a PC look here:https://www.ionos.com/digitalguide/server/configuration/windows-smb/

I use a Mac, but thanks anyway!

Also, I thought it was all about whether or not your computer uses SMB v1. or not (I have the latest Mac update). I use a G-Tech Drive but cannot find whether that uses SMB v1 or not.

Anyway, what the heck is SMB? Why is considered so dangerous that Sonos shut it down?

Badge

Followed the online directions for MacOS but not getting it to work here either (with the new version of the app).  I can enter the share info but the “Add” button is always greyed out.  It says that I might have to “check back later or try adding your music folder again”. I’ve done that several times but it always fails after ~20 minutes of no feedback.  Is this thing even working?  Some sort of feedback about what is happening or what error is being encountered would enable rational thinking about how to fix it.  This “may have to check back or try again later” isn’t helpful.  Is there any way to tell what is happening here?

I have verified that another Mac on the same network can connect and see the share using the same username/password.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
sorry for the snapshot, i could not send this after i wrote it.  

Badge +20

Mac as a NAS… If it’s on the internal storage of a Mac, then it can deal with APFS fine but if you have your music on an external drive connected to your Mac then it has to be either  Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or HFS+.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Mac as a NAS… If it’s on the internal storage of a Mac, then it can deal with APFS fine but if you have your music on an external drive connected to your Mac then it has to be either  Mac OS Extended (Journaled) or HFS+.

Hi Belly M, i'm not sure if this was directed my but i have a Windows system, no Apple or MAC here.  

Badge +20

Hi Belly M, i'm not sure if this was directed my but i have a Windows system, no Apple or MAC here.  

To the OP who has a Mac, your issue is not the same, you have an SMB version issue with your Router. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

To the OP who has a Mac, your issue is not the same, you have an SMB version issue with your Router. 

Thanks for the reply.  There is no SMB problem, i've checked that already and before the update in May i was happily using that music on the router.