Skip to main content

can't update

Running Sonos 2 on a PC. Also access system on iphone.

I don’t play my system all that much. After a break, it never works. “Check for Updates” gets me error 1101 repeatedly. I have unplugged and re-plugged my 4 Connects (strangely, one has a yellow light now, instead of white). I have restarted Sonos several times on both my computer and iphone. I am on the correct wifi network.

The system was working a few weeks ago. I haven’t changed anything in my house.

This happens a lot and I’m really sick of it. What good is a sound system that constantly breaks down?

Please advise...

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

When you say Sonos 2, I assume you actually mean a system running the S2 operating system?

As explained in the FAQs, an error of 1101 suggests some disconnect between your speakers and the update server. This could be any of a multitude if things. Unfortunately, there just isn’t enough information in you post to be overly comfortable in suggesting one over another.

So, a couple of random suggestions, which may or may not help. You didn’t mention a reboot of your router. I’d certainly try that, and then set up reserved IP addresses for all of your Sonos devices in your routers DHCP table.

But I’d definitely recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge +2

My system is working now. BTW, I am running Windows 11, and Sonos 2 version 15.4, on a Dell XPS15.

I unplugged and re-plugged my xfinity modem/router. Nothing changed.

I unplugged the Connect that had a steady orange light. Nothing changed.

I checked Norton 360 - the firewall is set to allow Sonos.

I was still getting the error 1101 when I tried to check for updates on my computer. So I tried it on my iphone and it told me Sonos is up to date so I stopped exploring that.

Next problem - on my computer, Update Music Library Now is still grayed out. So I did it from my phone and it worked (I can see new songs have been added). However, it is still grayed out on my computer.

So at the moment, I don’t think I need to do anything else. While I prefer to handle things from my computer (bigger screen), it appears that I need to use my phone instead. I wonder if this is true for other computer users...maybe the iphone app is just alot better than the computer.

Thank you very much for your help!

If it is greyed out on your computer, that means (most likely) that the version of the controller running on your PC doesn’t match the version running on the speaker(s).

I’d reboot the PC without having it load any virus protection, and either download a new version and install it, or try updating the current version. 

Have you closed and re-opened the PC controller? If not close the PC controller. If it still will not update, uninstall the controller and re-install. Nothing critical is stored in the controllers.

Badge +2

Bruce -- I believe you are correct.

I went to Help » About My Sonos System and found that the PC controller is using verson 15.4 and my Connects are using 15.6.

The Check for Software Updates button produces the same Error 1101 as before. I have performed all the suggested cures for that error.

I am terrified of upsetting my Music. I rarely use a music service. All my music is stored on my PC. I use iTunes. I have created lots of great playlists. It’s a bit of a mess, with music stored in many locations involving 2 users (someday I will figure out how to clean it up). but right now Sonos is able to find all my songs just fine.

Under Help, all the possibilities seem to be available, including Reset Controller. Also, the Sonos app is listed in Installed Apps on my computer, and can be uninstalled there.

PLEASE be very specific with the steps I need to perform. I would rather leave it as-is than upset my Sonos!

Thanks!

@buzz hit the nail on the head already. There is essentially no reason not to completely delete the existing PC client, and just install a fresh one from the Sonos download page. You will not ‘lose’ anything. 

Badge +2

This is exactly what I was afraid of.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Controller. Great - nothing in Manage is grey out anymore.

But now I cannot play any of my music in Sonos. When I click on a song it says “unable to connect to” the specific folder.

I have 3 music folders listed in Music Library Settings - this did not change when I reinstalled. But now Sonos can’t see them.

What’s wrong? Please help!

Uninstalling/reinstalling the Sonos controller should have no affect on your library. It sounds like you need to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Badge +2

Thanks - I will call them tomorrow.

Where is your music stored?

Badge +2

It is all over the place...2 users, lots of Music and iTunes folders and subfolders, a real mess. Until the reinstall of the controller, Sonos could find all the songs.

I wonder if this is a good time to reorganize it into one big folder but I don’t know what such a new folder should look like. I can see in iTunes that I have 894 songs, 5.14 GB.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Big isn’t usually an issue, total track count and excessive meta-data are more likely to be an issue.

Sonos folks can see your library data (you and we can’t) and could comment on the consolidation idea.

Badge +2

Update:  I had a nice chat with a person in Support but she was not able to help me much. I am now looking into re-organizing my very messy iTunes. I am hoping it is possible to have all my music files stored in one iTunes location on my computer. I am thinking that would make things much easier for Sonos. We’ll see what help I can get from the iTunes Community.

Badge +2

More advice needed, please…

The reply I received from iTunes so far is no help. It is a complicated procedure to “Make a split library portable” and is way beyond anything I can handle.

Since Sonos can’t play about half of my songs, what if I went to Manage>>Music Library Settings and removed the paths I have listed there? And then added them back? Kind of a re-install.

Could that cause further problems, such as losing songs or playlists or album info? I wouldn’t be making changes to iTunes.

If I do this re-install, when I am putting in the paths, how deep into the subfolders do I go? Should the last folder in the path be the one that actually contains the song files? I can find the path for each song in iTunes. For example, one from each of my Users:

I apologize for my lack of tech skills!

Badge +2

Update:

I removed the folders in Music Library Settings and then added them back. I haven’t checked all my music but it looks like at least most of it will now play through Sonos!

But...I may be looking for a new system.

My Sonos Connects are paired with my 22-year-old Bose system of built-in speakers in several rooms in my house. And one of the Connects isn’t working. Even before the recent problems, it was finicky at best...I often have to reboot the Connects, my Wifi, my router, and also the Bose equipment. A real pain. I am thinking I need to go looking for something reliable.

Thank you for your help!