Skip to main content
Question

Can't play music on multiple units

Hi,

Since the app update I can no longer play music on more than one unit at the same time. I have a Roam SL and an Era 100..and also an IKEA Symfonisk shelf speaker. Before it worked well to just add a unit and then the music would play on that as well. 

Now I get “Can’t connect, try again later”.

It works perfectly fine to play on the units one by one and updating them has also worked.

I can create a Group but playing using it won’t work. And not playing on one unit and trying to add another.

Is there anything I have missed? or is this to be considered due to the new app?

I have tried restarting router, disconnecting devices and so on...yet nothing has worked.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

I have exactly the same problem. Waiting for a fix. 

The app update that was just released solved this for me!

And then it stopped working again… basic functionality…sigh

I still have this problem and getting sick and tired. Did anyone get to resolve this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I still have this problem and getting sick and tired. Did anyone get to resolve this?

And just to check, you’re using the grouping screen to play on more than one speaker (selecting each with a tick and pressing Apply)?

Badge

Not sure if this is the same or a different problem, but I can play on multiple speakers, but not have diff music playing in diff rooms. As we use Playbars and Beams as part of our system, if the TVs are on, we can’t play music on other speakers and when we turn the other speakers on, we can’t use the sound bars! Seriously rubbish. 

Not sure if this is the same or a different problem, but I can play on multiple speakers, but not have diff music playing in diff rooms. As we use Playbars and Beams as part of our system, if the TVs are on, we can’t play music on other speakers and when we turn the other speakers on, we can’t use the sound bars! Seriously rubbish. 

Do you see all your players (Sonos Rooms) in Settings/System in the Sonos App? …and are they in the ‘About Your System’ area of the App too? I’m just trying to establish if you may have perhaps split your System into different Sonos Households somehow?

I have no difficulty playing both TV and Music audio to multiple Sonos Rooms at the same time here, but not sure why you’re encountering these issues?

Badge

Do you see all your players (Sonos Rooms) in Settings/System in the Sonos App? …and are they in the ‘About Your System’ area of the App too? I’m just trying to establish if you may have perhaps split your System into different Sonos Households somehow?

I have no difficulty playing both TV and Music audio to multiple Sonos Rooms at the same time here, but not sure why you’re encountering these issues?

Hi Ken, I can see all of the speakers, playbars etc, group them, separate them, but it will only allow one group or one speaker to play at a time. It pauses the sound on the others. If I am watching TV and my hubby turns on the music upstairs, the TV mutes! I have to use the TV speakers instead, which is an awful sound compared to the Beam. I’ll try deleting everything and setting it all up again, as someone else suggested this, when they had the same issue. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Boltie

What music service are you streaming from? It may be a tier of subscription that only allows one stream at any one time?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I might be wrong but I think they’re saying if they watch TV on one group of speakers (which would be the TV sound not a streaming service) they can’t listen t music somewhere else on another group of Sonos speakers… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Ah, okay… You're right. All too much for my little brain at this time of day!

@Boltie,

I can’t say I’ve ever come across the problem where TV audio stops playing due to music playback in a different room. It’s not happening here in my own setup - My only thoughts are to check your room grouping in the Sonos App and if using Amazon Alexa, also check any Alexa ‘enabled’ groups are not auto-grouping your Sonos rooms by having them set for playback in a single Alexa group.

If the problems persist however and you can’t resolve the matter, then my thoughts are to go onto reproduce the issue seen and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to help you to resolve the matter.

Badge

Thanks Ken, I’ll try that.