Answered

Can I play groups of albums in album order, not track order? (Sonos controller v 16.1)

• 22 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I like to queue up all albums of a composer (or artist) to play so I can work and listen uninterrupted. If I select a composer and click “Play all” the controller adds all the tracks to the queue but sorted in track order not by album, mingling the movements of each composition among other works.

Is my only option to add each album to the queue, one album at a time? I’ve saved a few such queues but am hoping not to have to build up a long list of saved queues if there’s a simpler solution.

icon

Best answer by buzz 22 April 2024, 23:56

View original

2 replies

Try using the library’s Folders view, rather than Album view. You can add a folder to the Queue and preserve the album and track order for each album. I have a folder for each artist and within the artist’s folder, each album is in a folder.

Here’s an example;

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thank you, Buzz!

I’d completely overlooked the Folders option in the top level of the music library. This will work for the bulk of my music that’s in the iTunes folder.

If that’s as helpful as it sounds I may end up reorganizing my music so that everything’s in the iTunes folder. Until now I’ve organized the music folders in my file system by source: iTunes, Amazon Music, Bandcamp, etc., though I catalog all these folders in the iTunes app so I can browse everything by composer or album.

For my usual listening patterns I’d group album folders by composer rather than artist.