Answered

Apple podcasts?

• 23 January 2018
  • 25 replies

Will we be able to play Apple podcasts on Sonos?
icon

Best answer by Keith N 23 January 2018, 22:45

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hi there, chantelmcp. Thanks for posting and welcome to the Community. You can already listen to Apple Podcasts on Sonos. Check out this helpful article on how to stream podcasts from your phone, computer or the Internet.
Hi, I am trying to use Sonos to play apple podcasts also, but the link in the previous thread doesn't work. I get this error "Customer Portal is not enabled for this interface." Please help.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi, I am trying to use Sonos to play apple podcasts also, but the link in the previous thread doesn't work. I get this error "Customer Portal is not enabled for this interface." Please help.

Hi mardisbagley,

We recently switched over to a new domain so some of our old links no longer work. I've updated the original link and you can also find that guide here.
@Jeff S, Thanks for the reply. I discovered that I have to download the podcast to the device using the native Apple app then find it in the Sonos library, "on this iPad". A bit laborious, but everything works fine now.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
@Jeff S, Thanks for the reply. I discovered that I have to download the podcast to the device using the native Apple app then find it in the Sonos library, "on this iPad". A bit laborious, but everything works fine now.

I'm happy to hear you got things working. Let me know if you have any further questions or issues.
Userlevel 1
Is there any future in which you can simply stream podcasts from Apple without having to download to your device?? This is really clunky, time and data consuming too
Userlevel 2
I just want to echo that I would really want fully streaming Apple Podcasts.

Yes, it works if you follow the steps described in the link. But it's kinda janky.

One of the main reasons I purchased the Sonos system was to easily listen to Apple Podcasts in the morning when I'm in a rush, and it sorta negates the point of it if I need to go into the podcasts app and manually download the daily podcasts before jumping back to the Sonos app to play them.

Also, it often stops playing in the middle of the podcast episode and jumps to the next one. This doesn't happen for any of the streaming services I used on sonos. I'm assuming it's because it needs to stream from the podcast app downloaded files on my device and the connection can drop in the middle. It happens pretty often and is relatively annoying.

I've actually reverted back to my non-sonos Bluetooth speakers when using Apple Podcasts as a result of this --- which is pretty sad.
Userlevel 1
I just want to echo that I would really want fully streaming Apple Podcasts.

Yes, it works if you follow the steps described in the link. But it's kinda janky.

One of the main reasons I purchased the Sonos system was to easily listen to Apple Podcasts in the morning when I'm in a rush, and it sorta negates the point of it if I need to go into the podcasts app and manually download the daily podcasts before jumping back to the Sonos app to play them.

Also, it often stops playing in the middle of the podcast episode and jumps to the next one. This doesn't happen for any of the streaming services I used on sonos. I'm assuming it's because it needs to stream from the podcast app downloaded files on my device and the connection can drop in the middle. It happens pretty often and is relatively annoying.

I've actually reverted back to my non-sonos Bluetooth speakers when using Apple Podcasts as a result of this --- which is pretty sad.
Userlevel 1
I am in the exact same boat. Primarily purchased to listen to joe rogan on my apple podcast. I use "tunein" to find the podcast, but at any given time I jump out of it, it will start the podcast from the beginning, very annoying. Debating if it's worth keeping this device.... 😞
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I am in the exact same boat. Primarily purchased to listen to joe rogan on my apple podcast. I use "tunein" to find the podcast, but at any given time I jump out of it, it will start the podcast from the beginning, very annoying. Debating if it's worth keeping this device.... :(
I suggest trying PocketCasts
Userlevel 2
Hi!

I noticed in the most recent updates when I try to use the "on this phone" Podcast option I get the UIAlert message saying that this functionality doesn't work well anymore and will be discontinued.

Understood. Now, what would my option be if I want to keep using sonos to listen to my apple podcasts from my phone? The error message says I should use apple air play to do it and sends me to the support page (https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1230?language=en_US).

I don't own one of the supported devices and I'm not about to start ripping up my ceiling/walls to swap them out. If I were to purchase one of the supported devices (e.g., Sonos one or Sonos Beam) can use airplay to send it to that Sonos One device and then have that device send the audio to my non-airplay Sonos Connect powering the speakers in my ceiling?
Yes, group an Airplay device with the other room(s) and they will all play the Airplay source in sync.
It’s very sad that Sonos has discontinued this support. I have many SONOS play:1 and play:3 speakers throughout my house and used the functionality every night.

Now unless I replace these speakers with the new Sonos speakers I cant play podcasts ??
You do not need to replace them. You can buy one Airplay capable Sonos device and group the others with it.
You do not need to replace them. You can buy one Airplay capable Sonos device and group the others with it.

Well, if I want to listen on a Play 1 in my kitchen it does not work.
I could group my Play 1 with my ONE in the living room, but then you hear the podcast in the living as well. And I cannot hear other music on my ONE. :-(

Very annoying and sad that the scrapped the "on my iPhone" function!
What I do is send AirPlay 2 signal to my Sonos One, then group my PLAY:1 to the Sonos One, then turn down the volume to zero on the Sonos One, and just use the volume on the PLAY:1 to listen to the podcast.
What I do is send AirPlay 2 signal to my Sonos One, then group my PLAY:1 to the Sonos One, then turn down the volume to zero on the Sonos One, and just use the volume on the PLAY:1 to listen to the podcast.

Yes, but is this convenient?
Before the killed the function "on my iPhone" as a source - I could easily listen podcasts on all my SONOS easily.

And ironically SONOS sponsors podcasts...

-> I want the function back "on my iPhone" as it was also really useful when I visit friends with a Sonos (without Apple Airplay function)
Sure, it’s convenient.

I’ve also used PocketCasts, since it has a Sonos component, and I do this almost every day to listen to baseball games on TuneIn Premium.

It isn’t difficult at all.

I haven’t listened to music or podcasts on my Play 1’s for almost a year because I primarily use them to listen to podcasts. Every time I had listened to podcasts they would cut out and with no skip ahead / back seconds button, id have to restart then manually scrub to find the spot I was at. Then in another 5 minutes I’d have to repeat the process. 
I have sent multiple support requests and have had countless email conversations with tech support on how to fix this problem. It always came down to a problem on my end. “You should update your (brand new) router” was my favourite suggestion.
I decided to give Sonos another chance (because, after all, I spent over $800 on these stupid paper weights) and now find that, unless I download another podcast app - then go through and re-subscribe to the 50+ pods I listen to - or PURCHASE ANOTHER Sonos which MAY OR MAY NOT work,  I’m out of luck because there is no more “on my phone” function. 
I guess these things will remain collecting dust throughout my house… unless I finally follow through with punting them off of my balcony like I’ve envisioned so many times.  
Poorly executed, Sonos.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The play from my iPhone is a feature Apple took away, or rather hobbled.  Sonos for their part have included Airplay 2 on all later products to try an offset this issue.  If you purchased any later Speaker, such as a One SL you could stream  via airplay  and group to any other speaker in your house.

And yes it’s annoying but that’s tech in the 21st century.

I called Sonos tech support today because I was following their web page instructions on how to play an Apple Podcast on Sonos. Bottom line is I can’t play Apple Podcasts on my Sonos 1 speakers unless I subscribe to Apple Music. At least this is what their Tech Support told me. Even on the Sonos Tech Support web page there is no mention about Apple Music and the fact that I have to subscribe (pay) to Apple Music. I am not about to pay for Apple Music in order to play Apple Podcasts. It would be more informative for everyone to mention this fact on the Sonos Tech Support page.

If anyone has any more advice I would like to know. 

Can I ask if you have a Sonos PLAY:1, or a Sonos One? Your post implies both.

I have Sonos Play:1. Thanks

Ah, I gotcha. Yea, it’s a difficult situation. There’s just not enough “horsepower” in the PLAY:1 in order to receive and process an AirPlay 2 signal.

There’s a couple of options, none of which I suspect will make you ecstatic.

You could switch from Apple Podcasts app to using the Pocket Casts podcast app. They’ve already built a plugin for Sonos using the Sonos API, and the iPhone app and the Sonos app both communicate with Pocket Cast’s servers to keep both devices in sync. 

Since I’m a dedicated OverCast user myself, I went with the other option, and picked up a Sonos speaker that could receive and process an AirPlay 2 signal, and then just group it with my PLAY:1s to get the audio where I want it.

Both option have their benefits, and issues. Unfortunately. But I’m pretty happy with the second one, although it cost me some money, because now I can play anything at all (including TuneIn Premium) from my iPhone to my Sonos system. Your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the advice. I think I’ll just stay with my AirPods on iPhone to listen to Podcasts until there are easier and better options.