Apple Music Radios stop playing

• 13 April 2023
  • 49 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi,

after the update to 15.2, when I play Apple Music Hits, it stops playing within 1-50 minutes. Everything else plays just well. Only the live radio stations.

I’ve noticed that when it stops playing, the speaker, which plays the Apple Music Hits station disappear from the Sonos controller for a second.

Does somebody else have/had the same problem?

I contacted Sonos support, however, they weren’t able to help me with that. I believe we tested everything (wired, wireless connection, router restart/update, restart all speakers, delete/re-add Apple Music service, ...).

Any idea?

Thanks,

Jakub

Corry P 8 months ago

Hi @jakudo et al

We now consider this issue resolved (as of 26th June). If you still experience this issue, I recommend you get in touch with our technical support team for assistance.

View original

49 replies

Are you referring to this Apple radio station, if you can confirm, I will start it playing here and let you know in an hour, or so, if it stops playing on my setup.

Meanwhile it will also be helpful to know a little more about your local network setup…

• Make/model of router, or WiFi mesh based system - If using the latter, are you running the Hubs in router mode, or bridged to the existing main router?
  • Wifi and SonosNet channels in use - If they are fixed or auto-selected?
  • The channel-width in use by your routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band (20Mhz or 40Mhz)
  • Are you running all on your WiFi or SonosNet signal - how close is the wired device to your router?
  • What’s near to your speakers that might interfere with their connection?
  • If using WiFi access points or extenders (details of their configuration)?
  • Network switches on the local network (if managed or unmanaged)?
  • Any other information you think may assist, such as Zigbee channels in use etc. baby monitors, dect phones. ISP download/upload speeds etc.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi,

no, the one you shared is only playlist (endless playlist). The one I’m talking about is a live radio station called Apple Music Hits.

Sometimes it stops playing few seconds after I start it, sometimes, after several minutes or an hour.

Answers to your questions:

• Make/model of router, or WiFi mesh based system - UniFi Dream Machine Pro, with UniFi AP
  • Wifi and SonosNet channels in use - If they are fixed or auto-selected? - tried everything - WiFi - SonosNet (all channels)
  • The channel-width in use by your routers 2.4Ghz WiFi band (20Mhz or 40Mhz) - 20 MHz
  • Are you running all on your WiFi or SonosNet signal - how close is the wired device to your router? - as mentioned before, tried both WiFi and SonosNet. When on WiFi, the speakers are 1-6 m far from the AP
  • What’s near to your speakers that might interfere with their connection? - there is nothing interfering the signal. Except Arc, which is bellow the TV, all other speakers are far from another electronic devices
  • If using WiFi access points or extenders (details of their configuration)? - WPA2...don’t know exactly, what would you need to know
  • Network switches on the local network (if managed or unmanaged)? - Switches are managed, local network
  • Any other information you think may assist, such as Zigbee channels in use etc. baby monitors, dect phones. ISP download/upload speeds etc. - no Zigbee, sometimes baby monitor, but not during the day, only night. Speed 100/100, ping 3-9 ms

I’m 100% sure that the problem is not related to my network or the positions of the AP or speakers. I have Sonos speakers for several year, play only Apple Music, most of the time the radio station Apple Music Hits and I have never had a single problem with that. The problem occurred after I updated Sonos to 15.2. I haven’t changed anything in my house, in the Network setting or anything else. I only updated the Sonos system, so it must be related to that.

Okay I’ve started playback of that station - I’ll let you know if it stops 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate that.

@jakudo

I started the HITS station playback at 17.35hours and it stopped playing at 17.58 hours - so it’s probably something to do with that particular station, that’s my guess, at least …or we’re just both unlucky. 

Here’s a diagnostic report: 1898221719 FWIW.

I’ll just add that my speakers did not disappear, as mentioned in the initial report from @jakudo - it simply appears the station live stream just suddenly stopped for whatever reason, but it is just a first initial attempt at playing the station and so will need to give it further attempts on speakers positioned at other locations here in the Home and will report back.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Good to know that I’m not the only one. I’ve send several reports to Sonos Support and spent dozens of minutes with them on call, however, the weren’t able to find the solution. To be honest, they tried to blame everything else (my wifi, positions of the speakers etc) but not Sonos itself (or perhaps Sonos and Apple connection).

When I said that the speaker disappeared, I meant that it disappeared only for a second or so. I saw that on Sonos app on my iMac. When that happened I had to choose the radio station again. I try to record that and post it.

Thanks for trying that! 

The next play of the HITS station was started at 18.44hrs and it suddenly stopped playing at 19.17hrs on a completely different speaker - diagnostic: 466941547

So if others see/encounter this issue, then perhaps it’s the actual Station.

I hope the above assists at least.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

thanks for testing. I’ve also tested it on different speakers. Always the same result. I will send the diagnostic files to the Sonos Support, perhaps, it helps them to figure out what went wrong.

Thanks!

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

just a short follow up - here is a screen recording of the Sonos app to see what happens when it drops out the music.

I’ve contacted Sonos again to see what is going on.

I have the exact same issue with Apple Music Hits. Also if I had two rooms grouped while playing, it will ungroup them…

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

yes, that’s the same issue. Perhaps try to call their support and tell them that you also have the very same issue.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same issue here. 
i thought it was the WIFI but also happens with the wired speakers. 

With the paired stereo speakers, I know when it is about to drop because it stops in one speaker first and later the next one; once happened that music kept playing in just one speaker for long time  

It randomly stops every X time. Sometimes can be playing for hours and sometimes stops every 5-10’. 

Before I was playing the radio the whole day without interruptions. 

it is very annoying. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes, exactly. First I thought that it is on Apple Music hits, however, today I played Apple Music 1 and Apple Music Country and it happened also with those stations.

Apple Music Hits drops out the music within few minutes (about 1-30 min today)

Apple Music 1 and Appel Music Country is much better - it keeps playing for about 2 hours and then it drops out.

I didn’t have any issue with that until update to Sonos 15.2.

Sonos Support told me to call Apple that it is their problem, and Apple told me that it is Sonos problem :D

If you can, try to call Sonos Support and tell them that you have the very same issue. Perhaps it might force them to investigate it...

I have recently started having this problem.  A temporary work around is to airplay the radio station.  I also think that the airplay work around demonstrates this is in Sonos’ court to address.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes, Airplay is a work around. Hopefully, they will fix that soon. I like to play it directly from Sonos :)

Userlevel 2
Badge

C’mon Sonos… guys this is really annoying. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Diagnostic 194780872 sent. 

Usually, after sending a diagnostic, you would call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. The only Sonos folks here in this community forum are moderators, Sonos Support doesn’t hang out here. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Called the support. They are useless and provide senseless solutions. 

I.e.: they want me to activate wifi in the speakers even if they are wired. 

Hopefully we can get a fix soon because it is clearly not a WiFi problem. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Yes, exactly. They tried to find the problem everywhere else but their speakers :-/

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Also been noticing this, even when I play from Alexa. The audio sometimes becomes really strange and then drops out. The speaker stays on the app, and simply asking Alexa once more to play the station will bring it back. For sure this was never an issue before, and something has totally happened since the last update

Userlevel 2

@jakudo ...I am having the exact problem you originally stated. I for weeks have tried all the same troubleshooting steps and even called into Sonos support (they were no help). I can confirm that all your findings and conclusions while troubleshooting are 100% correct.

Hopefully they (Sonos) comes out with some guidance on helping us solve this very annoying problem! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Today I called again customer service. 
after many tests, they conclude that not much left to do so, they have derive this to the engineers. and, the potential solution will come within a new update. 

I’ve also mentioned that we have this topic open. Therefore, if some of you calls customer service, try to comment the operator about this thread.