Answered

Apple Music Playlists Not Accessible in Sonos app

• 22 February 2024
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

My entire Apple Music Library is accessible on my Sonos app except my Apple Music Playlists.  I can access my recently added songs, artists, albums, songs... but not my playlists.  Anyone have a solution beyond the obvious troubleshooting like reauthorizing account and deleting the Apple Music service and reinstalling?  I have called the support line, spoke with a representative, went through all the obvious troubleshooting (listed above), and still can’t get my playlists to populate.  This is a new issue, they were accessible before.  

To add… I spent an hour on the phone with Sonos customer support and after all the troubleshooting, we were unable to resolve the issue.  The message I get when trying to access my Apple Music Playlists is:  “We’ve run into a problem.  Try again.”

It seems very odd that I can access EVERYTHING in my Apple Music Library EXCEPT the Playlists.  I can even access recently added songs that have been added within a few minutes.  

Any advice is appreciated.  

Moderator edit: combined posts

icon

Best answer by controlav 23 February 2024, 14:52

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

There are two known issues with Apple Music playlists that cause Apple to give that error when trying to list them in the Sonos app:

1. If you have one of the new collaborative playlists
  2. If you have two playlists with the same name

Apple need to fix their SMAPI server. Suggest contacting them to urge them along.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Original thread for reference:

Userlevel 3
Badge

There are two known issues with Apple Music playlists that cause Apple to give that error when trying to list them in the Sonos app:

1. If you have one of the new collaborative playlists
  2. If you have two playlists with the same name

Apple need to fix their SMAPI server. Suggest contacting them to urge them along.

Hi controlav - thanks for your reply.  I appreciate the insight.  However, none of my playlists are the new collaborative types and none of my playlists have the same name.  I have about 80 playlists in total, ranging from a handful of songs to several hundred songs, the largest being about 1,000 songs.  Most of them are in the 200 - 500 song range.  Is there a new limit on how many playlists / songs it allows, and if you exceed that it just prevents ANY of them from showing up? I say NEW limit, because all of my playlists were showing up in the Playlist folder a few months ago. 

Another interesting note - my recently added music is accessible, including songs, albums AND RECENTLY CREATED PLAYLISTS.  The recently created playlists do not show up in the Playlist folder, but they do show up in Recently Added folder.  But the Recently Added music folder only goes back so far, so only a handful of playlists that I recently created are accessible through that folder.  So it’s not a matter of accessing a playlist, as long as it’s recently created.  It’s an issue of the new and older playlists not showing up in the Playlist folder.  This is a relatively new issue.  The playlists were all accessible a few months ago.  So what has changed?  Thank you.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Another interesting note - my recently added music is accessible, including songs, albums AND RECENTLY CREATED PLAYLISTS.  The recently created playlists do not show up in the Playlist folder, but they do show up in Recently Added folder.  But the Recently Added music folder only goes back so far, so only a handful of playlists that I recently created are accessible through that folder.  So it’s not a matter of accessing a playlist, as long as it’s recently created.  It’s an issue of the new and older playlists not showing up in the Playlist folder.  This is a relatively new issue.  The playlists were all accessible a few months ago.  So what has changed?  Thank you.  

I already replied in the main thread, but you asked “what has changed”? Well clearly the playlist code, Apple added collaborative playlists to their main db around the time this problem started showing up in their SMAPI db. While you may not have one, you likely have something else “unusual” in a playlist that is crashing Apple’s (apparently fragile) code. If you don’t tell them, they aren’t likely to know about it.

Userlevel 3
Badge

I already replied in the main thread, but you asked “what has changed”? Well clearly the playlist code, Apple added collaborative playlists to their main db around the time this problem started showing up in their SMAPI db. While you may not have one, you likely have something else “unusual” in a playlist that is crashing Apple’s (apparently fragile) code. If you don’t tell them, they aren’t likely to know about it.

Thank you, I’ll try calling Apple again.  I tried once, but gave up quickly because the representative I spoke with seemed like an airhead.  I’m hoping I can get it sorted soon, but I have a workaround in the meantime.  My playlists do show up in the Recently Added tab.  So it’s not a matter of my playlists being accessible on the Sonos app, it’s a matter of them showing up in the Playlist tab, as opposed to the Recently Added tab. My work around will be to create a new playlist on iTunes with a new name and drag and drop the playlist(s) that I want accessible into the newly created playlist(s), and they will then show up in my Recently Added folder.

Everybody may know this, but Apple smart playlists do not show up anywhere but on Apple devices.   For me, Sonos and Alexa do not load smart playlists.    I have several folders of manual playlists, which do show up on non-Apple devices.