Skip to main content
Answered

App update broke the system- Tech supported admitted the features are broken

After 2 hour wait finally got tech support.  The Support Rep was very unclear and confused as if the things broken, were coming across as new bug reports. Sonos product team decided they will use customers for bug testing rather than releasing their own tested product.  I have 5 Play 1s, 1 Play 3, 1 Play 5, 1 Move2, 1 bridge, 1 SUB and 1 AMP.  The Play 5 and 2 Play 1’s are used with the AMP and SUB for surround sound system.  Here are my major issues. 

1. App update broke EVERYTHING.  Had to do a complete reset and reinstall. After I got over the anger, was able to add all the speakers bad.  
  2. iOS- trying to GROUP the AMP with the PLAY 5 and 2 PLAY 1s to do surround with TV DOES NOT work.  But the MAC app allows that, so i’m able to watch TV but i have to use MAC to control everything. iOS app is useless. I tested Android app with android phone, and that app works fine.  Also, when i choose “TV” input while trying to group the AMP with any speaker, the app doesn’t allow that.  But i can choose TV input using MAC app.  So basically iOS is screwed up.  That product person couldn’t make the deadlines before release. Tech support rep tried fixing and then finally admitted it’s a problem.
  3. I had 2 Play 1s added as “surround speakers” to the AMP before the App and system broke. Now, i have to group them, before they were automatically part of the AMP surround speakers. I tried to redo this configuration by “removing surround speakers” from AMP and then re-add them, but the “remove surround speaker” feature doesn’t work- again, tech support said they know this feature is missing and wait for next release.  What a terrible product release.
  4. 1 had subwoofer added to AMP.  SUB also shows that it is still connected to AMP but not working.  And i can’t remove/re-add etc until next product release.  So i’ll be enjoying movies without the base. Thanks Sonos. You are terrible.
  5. Cannot add music library to the app.  They only want you to stream music.  Say goodbye to the music library on your computer.

Oh not to mention, tech rep got so frustrated that all these things weren’t working after 1 hr 15 min with me on the phone, she just shut down and said just wait for the next app release, i can’t do anything more and hung up.  Welcome to $5K+ spent on Sonos products where they think they are trying to ‘make it easy’ for the people, but instead break everything that was working. Worst quality control of any product i’ve ever seen released. This won’t even qualify as an alpha release.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

24 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

What you describe is really the world we live in.  All the tech companies are so insecure about their products, they feel they need to keep ``improving it``to keep up with others.  Kind of like lowes moving in next door to home depot.  WHY?

The original version of sonos was great.  I once installed a 5 amp and 2 playbar system, added a library, and  left the customer to play for the night.  When I arrived back the next day to teach her how to use it,  she was listening to elvis across the whole house.  She was 80 years old.

I install for a living,  and Sonos was a revelation.  

Now,  there isnt a single installation that goes the same or operates exactly how it should.  The network procedure is * up.  The ridiculous PIN no idea is laughable.  You need a magnifying glass to read them. WHY?

This update is a such disaster,  I wonder if they have been hacked by one of the other companies.  There is no other explanation.

I probably have installed $200k worth,  not kidding.  One can only hope they turn back the clock real click.  My phone has been ringing off the hook today for clients complaining, and needing help.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Userlevel 3

What you describe is really the world we live in.  All the tech companies are so insecure about their products, they feel they need to keep ``improving it``to keep up with others.  Kind of like lowes moving in next door to home depot.  WHY?

The original version of sonos was great.  I once installed a 5 amp and 2 playbar system, added a library, and  left the customer to play for the night.  When I arrived back the next day to teach her how to use it,  she was listening to elvis across the whole house.  She was 80 years old.

I install for a living,  and Sonos was a revelation.  

Now,  there isnt a single installation that goes the same or operates exactly how it should.  The network procedure is * up.  The ridiculous PIN no idea is laughable.  You need a magnifying glass to read them. WHY?

This update is a such disaster,  I wonder if they have been hacked by one of the other companies.  There is no other explanation.

I probably have installed $200k worth,  not kidding.  One can only hope they turn back the clock real click.  My phone has been ringing off the hook today for clients complaining, and needing help.

Since you’re in the business of installing these things, what systems do you know that are like Sonos  and recommended?  I’ve had enough of downhill ride with Sonos and the extremely difficult way they allow management of speakers, whether for TV to music.  I’ve been there with Sonos when it was first introduced and my brother in law was even CFO of Sonos.  Not the same company anymore. Any recommendations? So i can sell this unusable system. 

Consider Heos. I’ve just added 3 Denon products, Playbar550, Speaker 350 and Home Sub. Waiting on 2nd 350 to create surrounds.  The Heos app goes far above and beyond the SONOS crAPP which has been failing me the 5 years I’ve had my units (Playbar, Play1s, Sub, Play5 and Roam).  I’ve disconnected the Playbar, 1’s and Sub…. they are going out the door.  Keeping the Play5 in my bedroom now… initially it was to drive my turntable, and bridge it to the other pieces…. Denon & Heos has made that incredibly easier now [for me].  Not saying there weren’t bumps to start, or to come but, a completely better, frustration free, scenario.  On top of that, Denon was immediate to respond, and the rep who helped via email, actually phoned me, unsolicited from California to discuss and help resolve minor hiccup (which was an issue of misunderstanding on my part of linking Sub to Playbar and my WIFI SSID).  *Bear in mind I have no choice but to use a WIFI network as the router is upstairs in my landlords part of the house, and not about to ask him to send wires down here… enuf for him to deal with with 3 kids.  He & the family have been too good to me since I’ve moved here, in may ways. 

The Play5 and Roam are the only units I’ll keep. That much I was able to get sorted on a new account after transferring ownership over… which created another nightmare on my original account but, meh, those items registered to that account are headed out of here eventually.  They’re disconnected and sitting in front of my new soundbar… looking embarrassed and ashamed for the parent company that has seeded them and now  rendered them orphans, all because SONOS DEVELOPERS DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CREATE A WELL FUNCTIONING APP TO CONTROL THE SYSTEM, OR THEY JUST DON’T CARE BECAUSE SONOS IS PROBABLY  HEADING TO BE A PAY FOR STREAMING A SERVICE OF THEIR OWN.   The Heos app gives my full access to my HUGE library of my own music. I don’t use pay for streaming services;  TuneIn and Soundcloud in their basic form is sufficient outside my own collection nearing 95,000.

Bottom line… good hardware from sonos… bad company, practices and above all utter lack of respect for clients as far as the horrendous crAPP they’ve produced and continue to do nothing about to remedy over the 5 years I’ve been constantly frustrated and had to fuss with to listen to an LP.  Moving on in part for complete disgust of their greed. 

PS, the topic of your post hits it best.. it’s not about particular features of an app, it’s about integrity and functionality of the hardware, driven solely by their app. 

Userlevel 3

Consider Heos. I’ve just added 3 Denon products, Playbar550, Speaker 350 and Home Sub. Waiting on 2nd 350 to create surrounds.  The Heos app goes far above and beyond the SONOS crAPP which has been failing me the 5 years I’ve had my units (Playbar, Play1s, Sub, Play5 and Roam).  I’ve disconnected the Playbar, 1’s and Sub…. they are going out the door.  Keeping the Play5 in my bedroom now… initially it was to drive my turntable, and bridge it to the other pieces…. Denon & Heos has made that incredibly easier now [for me].  Not saying there weren’t bumps to start, or to come but, a completely better, frustration free, scenario.  On top of that, Denon was immediate to respond, and the rep who helped via email, actually phoned me, unsolicited from California to discuss and help resolve minor hiccup (which was an issue of misunderstanding on my part of linking Sub to Playbar and my WIFI SSID).  *Bear in mind I have no choice but to use a WIFI network as the router is upstairs in my landlords part of the house, and not about to ask him to send wires down here… enuf for him to deal with with 3 kids.  He & the family have been too good to me since I’ve moved here, in may ways. 

The Play5 and Roam are the only units I’ll keep. That much I was able to get sorted on a new account after transferring ownership over… which created another nightmare on my original account but, meh, those items registered to that account are headed out of here eventually.  They’re disconnected and sitting in front of my new soundbar… looking embarrassed and ashamed for the parent company that has seeded them and now  rendered them orphans, all because SONOS DEVELOPERS DO NOT KNOW HOW TO CREATE A WELL FUNCTIONING APP TO CONTROL THE SYSTEM, OR THEY JUST DON’T CARE BECAUSE SONOS IS PROBABLY  HEADING TO BE A PAY FOR STREAMING A SERVICE OF THEIR OWN.   The Heos app gives my full access to my HUGE library of my own music. I don’t use pay for streaming services;  TuneIn and Soundcloud in their basic form is sufficient outside my own collection nearing 95,000.

Bottom line… good hardware from sonos… bad company, practices and above all utter lack of respect for clients as far as the horrendous crAPP they’ve produced and continue to do nothing about to remedy over the 5 years I’ve been constantly frustrated and had to fuss with to listen to an LP.  Moving on in part for complete disgust of their greed. 

Thanks, didn’t know about the HEOS app. Knew about Denon but seems they now have a good competitive product to SONOS.  I was looking at AUDIO PRO multihome speakers too.  The >$5k i invested in Sonos bc i thought i couldn’t get away from them. But now so anymore. 

Userlevel 2

SONOS is now the talk of NY Times! Congrats! (ouch)

Userlevel 3

SONOS is now the talk of NY Times! Congrats! (ouch)

An article out on this debacle of an app? I can’t find it.

Badge

…. and thank you too @akg3333 for giving me voice here too.  aka, kind of rant.  Still learning the ins and outs of the Heos app (the fact that Marantz and other notable companies  produce product using it alone should give one reason to consider) , and considering I’m still not fully set up as it was in my Sonos world but, the calm it’s been bringing is appreciated.  No question of doubt the Sonos hardware sound fantastic -- but,  now there are many other options.  I’ll probably have to eventually disappear from this profile when I close this account, and pick up on the other account for the units I’ll keep  -- so perhaps  hairy_chacha will see you again on the other side.  Happy listening until. 

thanks for sharing.  It’s becoming more obvious that accountability and transparency are not high on the Sonos top tier or vested leadership’s  list of strong points.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

Heos sounds interesting, I’ve totally lost all faith in Sonos.

I just want play my iTunes library around the house

Userlevel 2

The new app is an absolute pile of s**t ! Half the time I can't connect,  I have four Sonos products and If the app problems aren't resolved soon the whole lot is going to CEX for trade and I will use the cash to buy Bose , I have been loyal for at least 7 years but enough is enough 

Userlevel 2

Sorry!  I noted above the NY Times had an article about the current app dumpster-fire.  It was in the WASHINGTON POST. 

my bad.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/05/17/sonos-new-app-update-problems/

and is it any wonder… planned for May 28 release.  

Piece of * forces an update.  * up everything, just before company is showing up.  Chat is now shut down.  Should have known that sonos is a piece of * when they make their customers provide technical support.

I’ve had issues before with Sonos after updates, but this latest update takes the cake - too many issues to describe …the app just doesn’t work anymore and honestly the new design/layout makes no sense - I can’t find the most basic functions that use to be so easy to access. All I can say is they need to issue a bug fix/patch ASAP cause it’s to the point all I can do is play music on one of my Play5s using AppleMusic.

They screwed up and still won’t admit it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2024/05/17/sonos-new-app-update-problems/

I’m furious with Sonos - the updated app has created a lot of nice black bricks (that used to be speakers) for me that can no longer be used as designed.  App shows no music in queue despite the fact that speakers are playing (my husband can control from his PC; otherwise we’ve lost all ability to use our thousands of dollars’ worth of Sonos equipment).  Cannot play anything, stop anything, or control volume unless hubby and his laptop are at home. I even downloaded and paid for an alternative app, which wont’ work as designed either because you still have to manage the system using the crap app from Sonos.

Sonos Engeeniers are trash. 

Uninstall app 

Go to play store or app store disable app updates

Open browser 

Type apk123 sonos 

Look for previous version 

Open file 

Install it 

Once installed Open click on settings and disable automatic updates 

Note keep the apk file on phone in case you uptade this trash by accident 

Now the issue at hand it has been like 20 or 25 days since and these  inept sonos executives won't roll it back? 

Fix it and then laucn it Ignorants 

I have spent thousands of dollars I'm different properties

Sonos used to be plug and play 

Now thinking about selling everything 

I will disparage this company with facts 

If they don't like it let's got to court 

If you get stuck DM directly 

Note my name is directed to Sonos 

New update is unworkable!  We love our music system around the house but after investing almost €2000 on the system it is now virtually unusable!

Very disappointing and no effort to resolve the issue??? 

john

Piece of * forces an update.  * up everything, just before company is showing up.  Chat is now shut down.  Should have known that sonos is a piece of * when they make their customers provide technical support.

It would be nice if the community code of conduct included the manufacturer fixing the F N system!!  John

I usually don’t like to post or comment when I’m emotionally charged about something as it can come across as, well emotional and not objective and productive. But I think everyone is emotional about this disaster. Like many others, I have invested in SONOS for many years, (Play5, 2x Play1, 2x Play3, Sub, Beam, 2x Move) lauded the convenience and experience to others, and I now feel like I’ve been stood up at the wedding alter. 
The app quality has been going down for a few years but this is now just criminal. Yeah, like class action lawsuit criminal.
Update the app and remove all sorts of functionality. Android app just does not work. The Apple app kinda works, but not continuously. The only way I can still use any of the speakers is if I use the PC client. And the old version at that - I refuse to update to the new version and think that may be the only reason I can still use them at all. Having to go to my office to control any of the speakers is not what I paid for. (I simplified my network, everything on 2.4Ghz, etc. so that is not a part of the equation for any of this.)
Sonos has a community of customers that have been marketed to and stated functionality that can be enjoyed with the products, and then they have basically created nothing but expensive bricks in people’s homes and businesses.
I can’t even fathom what was/is going through the leadership’s minds. This is one of the worst customer betrayals I can ever remember reading about much less experiencing. 
But the fact is that I, like many people, still have all of these speakers in my house. (I even had outlets specifically installed on the high walls when remodeling our kitchen for the Play3’s) I may never buy another Sonos product again, but I still expect to be able to use what I have for a long time still so… Sonos - fix your %$^&. 

Same here. App update and now my system can’t be found. Works on my iPad wand desktop with old app. so frustrating. Our entire house system over 30 speakers is useless!! 

oved SONOS and kept buying more and more products. They updated the software and my system is almost a brick. It has become hard and frustrating to use.

I am about to put it all on ebay and look for a plug and play system that works.

It is unusable. Please give us our old software back. It worked just fine!!!!

Badge

I started with a couple of Sonos 5s back in 2017. They worked so well, I eventually added 6 more devices. Then about 1-2 years ago, the app just became a turd. It’s a struggle to get it to work. I fight with it for several minutes just to get something playing. It appears there is a communication error between the device I’m running Sonos app on and whatever it communicates with. I have to select a playlist or a volume again and again because it keeps resetting to previous values. 

It has always had a second rate UI that prefers a lot of icons and graphics over functionality and accessibility. But I can deal with that if it works. 

The whole system worked really well for years. Very responsive. Only brief delays when changing things on the app. 

Now it’s painful to use. 

Plus I have a feeling these speakers will become unusable prematurely as Sonos EOLs them. Didn’t think about that when buying them :)

No more Sonos for me.