Answered

App loses connection to devices when logged in!

• 10 December 2022
  • 44 replies

I’ve been struggling with the Sonos S2 app. All works fine with the app until I log in. At that point, all of my devices become unavailable. If I log out, close the app and go back in, my devices become available again. Clearly there’s something in my profile that’s completely screwed up. I’ve tried countless times to reconnect the devices, but the app always fails once I log in. It seems like I have to delete my account and recreate it, but that may be extreme (and might mess up my registrations).

Of course, despite my system working fine when I’m not logged into the app, I lose access to all of my services unless I’m logged in.

How do I fix this?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 10 December 2022, 23:22

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Badge

Good morning.

InterestingJonas that you replicated the problem too.

RC, your response got me thinking and trying to replicate your experience. However one thing I emphasise at this point is that I think it is the phone, not the App that is the issue. The App is working fine on my laptop and PC.

This morning I switched on the Beam’s power and used my phone to open the App which I noted was logged into my Sonos account. I could see the Beam and play music. I then signed out of the account  and found that I could still see the Beam and play music. Then the App lost contact with the device with Account, System and Services greyed out. I then noted the message on the App that my phone was connected to the Network, but the Sonos device wasn’t. Then I had to attend to some other matters before returning to try and fix it.

The phone now just says “Unable to connect to Sonos”. I opened the App on my PC and it shows that the Sonos Beam is connected. I played some music to confirm this. This replicates the analysis of the Sonos Tech in finding out whether the App or the Sonos device was created the problem. Yesterday the Tech checked my Router settings and confirmed that the Beam was connected even though my phone says not. I also opened the App on my wireless connected laptop and played some music.

I agree that the App on my PC and Laptop does not indicate whether I am logged into my account or not, but I have full access to manage the App and services.

As for the TV I had that working on the Beam just by plugging in the ARC HDMI and activating the Viera App on my TV as well as choosing Cinema Surround for sound out. Seems that the Beam is just a “dumb” device for the purpose of TV sound with the HDMI connection providing the necessary connectivity.

So I am even more convinced that the issue is the device hosting the App that is the problem; my Samsung A12 phone. That said I think it is probably a latent WiFi connection issue causing intermittant dropout on the phone. I suggest checking the connections to your router if you have not done that yet to check that your devices are connected with the WIFI network regardless of what the App on your phone is saying.

Aplogies for the lengthy analysis, but I hope it helps others with this problem as well.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Narravic , thanks for detailing your experience. I have tried with multiple devices. I tried with my wife’s iPhone, my iPhone (different model) and an iPad. Sure, they are all Apple products but still. For me, launching the app while not logged in works perfectly on all three devices. Logging in on any of those devices will show the system still there for a bit but then, it vanishes partially. Lately, the sub (for some reason) shows as connected but all others do not. Mind you, my arc is wired so the sub is actually going THROUGH the arc (and it does show WM 0) but the sub shows connected but not the arc. It is too linked to the “logging in and out” to make me think that it doesn’t have to do with the app/phone directly. If I log back out if the app, all works fine again. It is highly reproducible. In that other thread, it says that this new feature is being rolled out in phases so I think I got the new feature (unluckily) but not everyone may have it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I just double checked with my tablet (xiaomi) and it seems to work wheres both my galaxy s21 and my wife's iPhone demonstrates the problem explained above 🤔🤔🤔

Are you logged in to the Sonos account on your xiaomi tablet? Same version of the app. Also, give it a few minutes — sometimes it works for a short time for me. Going to a different app and coming back typically does it :). Curious to know if some devices actually work logged in.

Badge

RC, I have replicated the problem you have by resetting the App on my phone and opening it and following the prompts to connect to an exisitng system. I can see the system and play music. So it looks like I can play the services that have been set up but not add new ones without logging in.

Does this mean your experience is that the App stays connected while not logged into the account? That the drop out only happens after you log in? Hence your ealier comment that logging in seems to cause a conflict between the Sonos network and the WIFI network?

Has this question been directly addressed by Sonos support?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Correct. My app stays fine as long as I don’t log in. I can see the system, play music, etc. Unfortunately, login in is required for things like trueplay tuning which is something I can’t do anymore for example. System is fully functional without logging in which is the most frustrating since I don’t get why I would need to log in for anything locally. I would be a happy clam if I didn’t need to log in for anything on an existing system. I am still waiting for a call back from Sonos support. I’ll probably call them tomorrow if I don’t hear by then. I am at least glad that others can replicate my issue. I am more and more convinced that it is not me and really an issue with sonos. I hope it is taken seriously soon. 

Badge

RC: Perhaps you can clarify the need to log in at all. You say in your last post that the system is fully functional without logging in but then go on to say you ...” don’t get why I need to login for anything locally”. What is this need to log in?

As far as I can see all I need to log in for is any changes to services which I can do on my Laptop or PC. 

Using the system to play music from streaming services that have been set up can be done without logging in. Right? Sound for TV is independent of the App. to that is not an issue.

Appreciate your further comments. Thanks.

Badge

I found this Youtube video which may help (includes True Play setup for Apple products as well).

It is lengthy but he covers detail that is important. The creation of a Sonos Mesh net seems important for a stable network of Sonos devices. He recommends a Sonos Boost ($149) where you have a lot of devices in various rooms. And he stresses the importance of having at least one Sonos device wired to your router (could make it a Boost).

He does not deal specifically with an App connection problems but covers the set up process in detail. It may provide you with clues to the source of problems.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@Narravic : yes, I do have my arc hardwired which creates a sonos mesh network for the other devices. The connection is highly stable as far as I can tell (no sound drops, etc). To answer your question as to “why I need to log in”, TruePlay is one such reason: you cannot run a TruePlay calibration without being logged in. You also can’t check for updates from the phone. There are basically a bunch of things that you can’t do on the phone without being logged in. It doesn’t impact my day-to-day that much (as you mention, I *can* play movies and music without being logged in) but I feel that for a system that prides itself on its software and for something that costs a pretty penny, it is somewhat frustrating to be only partially functional :).

I am working with Sonos support as we speak though so I am hopeful that something good will come out.

Thanks,
Romain

I am having this issue currently.  Hopefully Sonos will fix it.   I think this is solely an issue with the app.  Hopefully the next update will fix this 

Badge

Kpati,

I have noticed for some time now that while the initial message that the App is not connected continues, if I just wait the App will connect whether logged in or not to my Sonos account. However I have not tested how stable the connection remains. 

I have the same issue. If I log into my account then all the speakers ‘disappear’. Do we have resolution yet?

Badge

Jon,

The issue seems to have just wasted away. Yours is the first query in a month since I last posted.

I have found that if I just want to check the status of my devices I don’t need to log in to my account. I can also access the radio and other streaming services  that have been set up without logging in.

Can you tell me why you need to log into your account? 

I need to log in to be able to pair two speakers. 

I’m not seeing any difference to my devices, whether I’m logged in, or out, of the Sonos App - are all your Sonos devices listed in your online Sonos account, that’s when using the same email/password credentials as stored in the App and are you connected to the correct Sonos Household? If you perhaps have created a duplicate HH within the same account, you might just need to revert to the correct Sonos HH.

If you’re not sure how to go about correcting the HH issue, then I would perhaps speak direct to Sonos Support via this link: https://support.sonos.com/s/contact and kindly ask them to look into the matter from their side.

I have been in contact with Sonos support. They have advised this is a known issue they are working on to resolve. Logging into ones account can cause this to happen. The actual cause it, it appears, unknown. I have only ever had one account and one set of creds for the account. It has only recently started happening. The only ‘fix’ for now is not to log into the account. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

You need to log in to do a bunch of stuff. For example: updating firmware, doing the trueplay setup, etc. Issue still here for me even after latest app update. 

I agree, I can’t use tuning etc. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Updated to 15.1.1 today and it seems to work!!! I was able to log in and update the devices as well. So far nothing seems to have dropped. Crossing my fingers but if you were having issues, at least 15.1.1 seems to have fixed it for me for now so give it a shot. No other change in network or anything. 

It seems to work! I had to remove nd reinstall on my iPad as it would fail on updating but then all works. On my iPhone it let me sign in and update. On both I am now signed in and can see all speakers. I can now auto tune.