Question

Alarm function in app update 9th of May 2024

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Sonos have neglected to include an alarm function in the app update as of 9th May 2024. very disappointed. Also a number of music services have been affected. I am sure this is an oversight - but with no communication from Sonos or announcement, it does not build confidence. Also - to cut off older systems and speakers is terribly bad form. Hopefully the Sonos event on the 14th will have everything resolved? Can we get some reassurance from Sonos customer service please?

139 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The alarm is just one of many feature missing in action. The new app is not fit for purpose and has been release way to early.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I think the alarms are still there if you added them previously, you just can’t update them 🤣

My alarm went off this morning at the usual time but it was the beeping, not the radio station it should be playing. Also, there was no way to stop the alarm from the app like previously, the app showed nothing playing 😒

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

This has been posted so many times already.  Yes the alarms are missing from the new updated app.  They have not been removed from the underlying OS, but they are not present in the revamped UI.  I read somewhere (can’t remember) that are scheduled to be replaced in a June app update.  

Userlevel 4

Bring back the old App, the new version is a retrograde step. Terrible UI and loss of much favoured functionality.

Shame on SONOS..

Userlevel 3

Beyond frustrated about no alarms. This helped my children. Me, all of us, throughout the day to tell us many different times to get things done. Why would you remove the alarms???

Userlevel 3

I have an alarm set that I can’t turn off! This is ridiculous. I have to unplug that device when I don’t want the alarm to go off.

Userlevel 3

This is extremely frustrating.   All my previous alarms are there but can't update it change till June?!  I need to simply unplug the speaker until then as I need the ability to adjust regularly.  

The updated app is an immediate disappointment,  the UI is not intuitive, my system has not been found several times when opening,  speakers are slow to react.  I do not want to be a forced beta tester and not why I purchased Sonos.  Very disappointed.

Userlevel 2

I am also very annoyed about not being able to use my alarms anymore, as for turning them off if you have the speakers in home assistant it does let you turn them on or off still.

Userlevel 3

An absolute joke. Do they not think these things through before releasing. I always use the alarm and now you can't even change or use it. 

Userlevel 2

The UK has a public holiday before June - am I supposed to just unplug my speakers before you fix an obvious error?

Terrible update that needs to be rolled back and actually beta tested first

Userlevel 3
Badge

Alarms - missing

Widgets - missing

Most of the streams - "something went wrong"

UI - horrible, confusing and disorganized

Why Sonos publishes this kind of crap and totally beta level software into production without any warnings. All my devices updated automatically new version into use and now there are features like alarms that I can't reach or manage at all.

Even though the old app was a joke too, one could still access all functionalities when the app agreed to cooperate sometimes.

Userlevel 3

This is very frustrating. My alarm is set for very early in the morning and now I can't change it. So will be woken up and have to go into the Sonos app every single morning and press stop to end the alarm as there is NO ALARM function in the update. Are we seriously going to have to wait until June for this to be fixed.

Userlevel 3

I think the alarms are still there if you added them previously, you just can’t update them 🤣

My alarm went off this morning at the usual time but it was the beeping, not the radio station it should be playing. Also, there was no way to stop the alarm from the app like previously, the app showed nothing playing 😒

Same thing happened to me!!!!

Userlevel 3

How could they forget the alarm!!???

Mine woke me up at 06:30 and I was not going to work!!!

Userlevel 2
Badge

The alarm function is a major fail with the new app however I have found a “workaround” by using the app on my laptop and editing the alarm that way. I did have to reset it first but it worked this morning…. Let’s see if it works tomorrow too!! I hope they do sort this out soon. 

Maybe this will perhaps help some users that are having an issue with an existing alarm. It requires either a PC, or Mac, with the Desktop controller installed (available HERE)

See below:

Sonos app for macOS or Windows

1. Click Alarms from the bottom of the Select a Music Source pane on the right side of the Sonos app.
  2. To edit an existing alarm, click the name of the alarm, then click Edit.
  3. Set your Time, Room, Music, Frequency and Volume settings.
  4. Click OK to save the alarm
Userlevel 2

This is very frustrating. My alarm is set for very early in the morning and now I can't change it. So will be woken up and have to go into the Sonos app every single morning and press stop to end the alarm as there is NO ALARM function in the update. Are we seriously going to have to wait until June for this to be fixed.

I have the same problem - the alarm is still working. It’s frustrating!

Userlevel 3

Is there a way to downgrade the app?  What a useless update. Do they want me to go buy HomePods?

Userlevel 2

Is there a way to downgrade the app?  What a useless update. Do they want me to go buy HomePods?

I want the old app! 😭

Userlevel 2

First I want to thank Ken G for the work around using. Desktop pc or Mac. I will give it a try when I get home. 

Want to second the others regarding the absolute sloppiness of this release. I change my alarms nightly. I suffer from narcolepsy and require multiple alarms at varying volumes to wake up. I am a nurse with a varying schedule and all of sudden I am stuck until Ken G comes up with a possible work around.

Sonos your alarm option was the best. It is very clear from this community post. Please listen and get this fixed ASAP. MY iPhone is simply not enough to support my needs. If you have no intention to continue with the alarm option please let us know so we can seek other options. In the mean time I am hoping Ken G’s fix works at least for me to turn off my existing alarms. 

I am hoping this was a go live glitch and not intentional. If it was intentional, the fact you did this without any announcement is very inconsiderate.
kindly

Ken B. 

Userlevel 3

If you only have iPads and iPhones, no alarms at all. So dumb. I’m really irritated. These speakers cost hundreds of dollars each, many of us have several of them, and Sonos just yanked a bunch of basic stuff. 

If you only have iPads and iPhones, no alarms at all. So dumb. I’m really irritated. These speakers cost hundreds of dollars each, many of us have several of them, and Sonos just yanked a bunch of basic stuff. 

There’s an iOS App in the Apple Store called ‘Soro’ (it’s an iOS ‘shortcuts’ plugin for Sonos). I’m not affiliated to the App or its developer, but do use it myself and it will allow you to create, edit, delete your Sonos Alarms. You perhaps may want to explore/research that App and its features. It links into the Sonos API.

Screenshot attached, just for info.

Userlevel 3

FFS Sonos - did you not pay attention to how many people were pissed off when you shifted the Alarm menu from the home screen of the app and hid it back under System? There are only 3 things I want to do with Sonos - manage the speakers, play music and set and change ALARMS. Complete fail

Userlevel 3

I highly encourage everyone to hit them where it hurts - go and put in a 1 star app rating

Userlevel 3

There’s an iOS App in the Apple Store called ‘Soro’ (it’s an iOS ‘shortcuts’ plugin for Sonos). I’m not affiliated to the App or its developer, but do use it myself and it will allow you to create, edit, delete your Sonos Alarms. You perhaps may want to explore/research that App and its features. It links into the Sonos API.

Screenshot attached, just for info.

Ugh. $8 to turn on an alarm I paid for already.