Adding my music library.... or not !!

Hi,

Having spent time (a lot !) on both ‘chat’ and Remote access i am still unable to add my music library ? It started off as “error 1002” and since my last Remote Access use, is now “computer is not responding” although i am sat using it, and made sure that the external drive is awake ?? so far I have: toured my new Windows 11 PC, with the help of remote access, set up the various firewall options as outlined here. Checked the ports 445 & 3445 (they’re ‘listening’). Set up a music folder on the desktop, which did not work. Reset my Sonos System. All to no avail. The nice person on remote access was also at a loss, although when using the same service last year on my old PC, Remote Access sorted the issue very swiftly. Cannot add the service via any of the tablets or phones, so I’m really stuck.! I have read nearly every article or reply on here, and i am no further forward. ANY help would be gratefully accepted. or…. the system will end up in a skip somewhere 🙂.

Thanks in advance.

John

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

20 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Have you tried to add the library from the computer using the Sonos PC app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Also, Are there other people that sign onto that PC?

@John Crawley,
I would start with first setting up a ‘shared folder’ on your C Drive - drop a few tracks into that and add it using the IP address (& path) rather than the computer netbios name and just see if that works - ensure the network profile is set to ‘private’ rather than ‘public’ too and if problems persist temporarily disable any firewall(s) in situ (if necessary).. 

See this link too:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/813

Once you have things working then setup the library on the connected USB drive as a shared folder and then change the Sonos App/library to use that share instead, but either use the netbios name of the PC which ideally should be no more than 15 alphanumeric characters only, or if using the IP address of the PC, then I recommend reserving it’s address in the Routers DHCP reservation table… although there is an option to set that in the PC’s network adapter iPv4 properties (not recommended).

Dont forget to re-enable your firewall/security afterwards, but ensure Sonos is able to bypass the firewall in use as explained/outlined in this link:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/688

I have the pc app installed (just re-installed it...for the 3rd time). And i am the only only user of the pc. It’s setup using the standard ‘pin’ to access it, with no other sign in options required. Just re-checked all of original comments, and still cannot add the library although the ‘1002’ error code is back :-)

I have the pc app installed (just re-installed it...for the 3rd time). And i am the only only user of the pc. It’s setup using the standard ‘pin’ to access it, with no other sign in options required. Just re-checked all of original comments, and still cannot add the library although the ‘1002’ error code is back :-)

1002 is some kind of network connection error - do you have the PC wired or wirelessly connected. I have seen users who have both type of connections inadvertently enabled and that can cause that type of network error, but the error can appear for a variety of other network connection reasons too.

Are you using the netbios name of the PC in your library path or it’s IP address? If using the name, what is its actual name?

Hi Ken. Thanks for your input. There are several things that i should clarify. … 1) I have been called a luddite ! 2) I am quite aged 3) I understood some of your words...the shorter, the better ! however with my limited pc knowledge i can tell you that it is a bog-standard pc. Wirelessly connected to my router and with 2 external 2tb drives connected via usb 3. I changed my pc name earlier, via the menu option but i tend usually to leave well alone. Remote Access and myself ‘shared’ the folders although that led nowhere.and i am assuming that I’m using the netbios name rather than the IP digits. Usuall stuff works, but this is becoming a challenge.

Cheers.

John

John ensure you don’t use any special characters/spaces in the computer name and keep it to no more than 15 letters or numbers, just to be on the safe side.. but that’s only one aspect you may need to consider. Maybe read through some of the support pages on the topic, to assist you here are some links to get you started:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/257

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4879

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/4928

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2401

Hi Ken. Thanks for taking the time with this. I have been through the links and i have addressed all of the stages and completed them. I have found no issues or adjustments that i have made or considered and everything seems to be OK. My pc and router are side by side on my desk, the signal is great the drives are also local (they are plugged in and awake, i am currently playing my music through my desktop speakers, so i know that is functioning as it should), the firewall settings are in order. The only thing i did not do prior to migrating to my new pc, was remove the library from the old pc. But as that is now ‘dead’ then little else can be done. I’ll just keep working on it ! Lucky it’s raining outside. :-)

Did you reset up the connected drive library folders as network shares across the LAN on the new PC - this might just be a folder/file permission issue, which is why I suggested earlier to try a local ‘temporary’ folder share setup on your C Drive to begin with, just to see if that works… just ‘copy’ a few tracks into that and see.

If that does work, then you likely just need to look at the USB library folders ‘owner’ and share (access/read/write) permissions on the USB drive and take ownership and re-share them using the new PC - just right click on your library folders to see their ‘properties’ and share permissions etc.

So maybe just start with the temporary C Drive share first to see where you get with that.

Tried the local C drive option. The folder can be found, just never added due to the messages i posted previously. I am not sure whether i need to specifically ‘share’ the folder ? Remote Access and me tried that earlier today, but it did not work.

Tried the local C drive option. The folder can be found, just never added due to the messages i posted previously. I am not sure whether i need to specifically ‘share’ the folder ? Remote Access and me tried that earlier today, but it did not work.

Have you tried uninstalling the App and reinstalling it - it’s available to download here:

https://support.sonos.com/s/downloads

Just to rule that out and perhaps reinstall it as ‘administrator’ - on reopening choose to connect it back to the ‘existing’ Sonos system rather than creating a new one.

Yep !… done all of that earlier 😀

Yep !… done all of that earlier 😀

Have you spoken to Sonos Support? If not, perhaps give them a call via this LINK and see if they can suggest some things to perhaps try.

Hi Ken,

Thanks for all of your help. I have now completed the circle from trying to add my music library (details as before), spoken with Sonos, used remote access, twice, and i am no further forward !! I have changed my router options so that I’m now using my Mesh system. That seems ok inasmuch as i can now use my phone/tablet to play music…. but only if they reside on that particular unit. Strange that the music played does appear on my S2 PC controller, but as for adding a library...no such luck. I think that I’ll just live with the fact that i need to access music from my phone or tablet. Once again, thanks for all of your help and advice.Cheers.

John

Just adding my complaint here.  I suggest that Sonos put out a warning that it will not work with Windows 11.  I notice that many have the problem and level 3 support can’t fix it.  For the record this is my error message when I try to add my music.:

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

This problem seems different from the problem in the thread above. Have you contacted Sonos?

I was replying to the post about not being able to add the music library.  I see lots of posts here about problems doing this, mostly with windows 11 and Sonos support up through level 3 with no lasting solutions. I have not contacted Sonos but have noticed no recognition of the problem on their support site.

I have the same issue with Windows 11 not being able to add a music library on an internal SSD.  All the usual steps taken, private network, local admin account, sharing everything, firewall on/off. I get the serverstack error - registry setting added. I have the names of 6 sonos support reps who tried to help me, remote access etc. I was told my case was referred to "engineering " about a week ago. Sonos works fine with TV, streaming services, radio...just cannot connect to any shared folder...beyond frustrating.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I got tired of fighting the Windows issues long ago and picked up an inexpensive NAS, network attached storage, for my music library.

I hear you...its a said state of Sonos affairs when you have to throw your hands up in defeat over something that should be straight forward. I am biting my tongue…I may have to look at that as it appears to be the only solution I have available to me today. I have not given up and will keep pushing...an iPad and bluetooth speaker kept Christmas alive as a stopgap. Thanks!