Answered

Adding a folder from another computer on my local network to Music Library.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

In the Sonos Music Library Settings, I put in the correct path to a network folder, but it doesn't work. It asks for username and password. I put in my Microsoft account username (email address) and password. After about an hour of the spinning circle, it fails. No feedback. What can I do?

The folder is shared correctly. I can access it using File Explorer. I don’t know why it isn’t working because I get no feedback, aside from saying it doesn’t work.

I’ve had this problem before. I’m sure I can figure it out eventually. I’m just bored with it at the moment. This is almost the only thing about Sonos I don’t like.

icon

Best answer by controlav 4 March 2024, 14:21

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

@Didymus

Please try using Sonos controller app for windows on the pc with the share and add the folder from there to your Sonos music library. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Sorry. I should have mentioned that I was using the Sonos controller on my computer.

@Didymus,

Perhaps ensure your network profile is set to ‘private’. See this link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/configure-windows-10-network-and-security-settings

Also ensure the netbios name of the PC is not longer than 15 alphanumeric characters and remove any spaces, or special characters and perhaps see if these things resolve the access to the shared folder. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Ken,

Thank you for the suggestions. I checked the network profile, and it is set to private.

The NetBIOS name of the PC is two alphanumeric characters. It came that way, and I didn’t rename it.

Is it possible that I’m not using the proper protocol to enter my username and password? The University is pretty fussy about how you hold your mouth while you are entering your credentials. Maybe Sonos is fussy too. It was over a decade ago the last time I had to do this. I remember it wasn’t easy.

Ken,

Thank you for the suggestions. I checked the network profile, and it is set to private.

The NetBIOS name of the PC is two alphanumeric characters. It came that way, and I didn’t rename it.

Is it possible that I’m not using the proper protocol to enter my username and password? The University is pretty fussy about how you hold your mouth while you are entering your credentials. Maybe Sonos is fussy too. It was over a decade ago the last time I had to do this. I remember it wasn’t easy.

I don’t know, but it does sound like it maybe ‘local network’ related, or perhaps a permission on the folder/tracks themselves. It maybe best to reproduce the share issue/error and then immediately submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Where is this “other folder”? If it is on a Windows PC, install the Sonos app on that PC and add the library that way, this will use SonosLibraryService instead of SMB file shares and is a lot more likely to work oob. After this you don’t need to explicitly run the Sonos app on it again, the service will run headless.

(I doubt that Sonos can handle MSA authentication over SMB, which is what you are trying to use for that share).

If you must use an SMB share, I recommend adding a local account to the PC and creating a read-only share with that account’s permission, and using that for Sonos. You really don’t want your MSA credentials being stored on your Sonos devices.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I’m not familiar with the acronyms, but I guess that the S stands for Sonos and the MS is Microsoft. My ignorance is not important because your suggestion that I install the Sonos app on the PC connected to my media source was the answer. Simple and easy. I should have thought of that. I also should have done that 15 years ago. I would never have had all the troubles I mentioned earlier. Thank you!

SMB

MSA

PC

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

I’m not familiar with the acronyms, but I guess that the S stands for Sonos and the MS is Microsoft. My ignorance is not important because your suggestion that I install the Sonos app on the PC connected to my media source was the answer. Simple and easy. I should have thought of that. I also should have done that 15 years ago. I would never have had all the troubles I mentioned earlier. Thank you!

Actually 15 years ago it wouldn’t have helped - the SonosLibraryService feature was introduced, um, maybe five years ago.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Thanks again. I just had a shock. The link stopped working. I don’t log into the media server much. It just sits there. Serving media. I logged in and found that Sonos needed an update. I guess it gets a bit floppy if it doesn’t get updated. I’m on an Alpha version. All I had to do was update and add the library again. A little annoying, but far from a real problem.