Answered

Accessing my Music Library from my new phone

• 21 January 2024
  • 5 replies

I have bought a new phone and all my apps have been moved over to the new one. However I can’t summon up my Music Library (which is on my PC) when I go to access Sonos (two). The path to my iTunes library is correct on Sonos on the PC but on the new phone it isn’t (for some peculiar reason) and I’m trying to change it to the correct one without success. As a result, when I search for (eg) an artist, I get nothing of my own collection, just suggestions from Spotify and Tuneln. (I don’t subscribe to Spotify and I’m not familiar with the other one!)

What I’m doing is in Music Library Setup. ie “Add New Share”. I have entered the path ( to the relevant folder on my PC’s external hard drive) and now it wants a username/password “if required”. Well there’s no username/password to access my files on my computer other than a password when I switch the computer on. But pressing ‘OK’ results in no response. I tried with my Apple (ie iTunes) username/password which shouldn’t be needed as I’m only accessing the files on my computer - but in any case there was no response again when pressing ‘OK’. So I’m stuck!

icon

Best answer by AngelasHusband 22 January 2024, 21:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Note if you’re trying to resolve the share from your mobile controller device, the share needs to be an SMB protocol share. Windows uses SMB v2, or higher and you need to setup the share, ideally with a PC user and password. If however you setup the share from the Sonos PC App you can setup a ‘http’ share instead, which the Sonos library service will share for you (this is a service installed by the Sonos desktop App on the PC) - the latter is probably easier to do and whichever way you do the setup, all the controllers (mobile & desktop) will see the same network share.

So my thoughts are, to use your PC to setup the local library share, rather than your mobile device and ensure the local network connection is set as private, rather than the default public network, as mentioned in this Sonos support link:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/configure-windows-10-network-and-security-settings

It should then work from ALL your controller devices that are connected to the same Sonos Household.

If your problems persist it might be a firewall issue … see this link (and the links off) to resolve those issues…

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/access-denied-error-when-using-music-library

If your issues still persist after all your troubleshooting, then it maybe best to submit a Sonos system diagnostic report from within the Sonos App, note it’s reference and then contact/chat with Sonos Support Staff via this LINK and see what the Staff can perhaps suggest to resolve the matter.

Thank you for your reply, Ken.

I have tried your first solution but couldn’t get to the end (allowing Sonos though Windows Defender) as I have Norton protection, so went to the second link, only to find that one of the firewall settings in Norton that was supposed to be changed is ‘read-only’ . Anyway I still have the original problem.

We have 3 mobile phones: my wife’s Samsung, my old iPhone and the one with the problem, my new Google Pixel. I have been able to select music from my library, held on my computer’s external hard drive on both of the other two phones and curiously, having paused and then closed Sonos on both of these I’m able to unpause and continue playing the song using Sonos on the pixel phone. What it won’t do is display my music library!

What it puzzling me is that the path to the folder containing all my music (held in sub-folders) as displayed on my PC is different to that on the phones, Curiously “ANDY-2018” as shown below on my old Apple iPhone is shown on Norton as being the name of my computer. It’s also there on the equivalent screen on the pixel phone. I’m confused! It’s all worked fine in the past, it’s just that the Pixel phone won’t display my music library.

ANDY-2018 …is just the name of your PC 

iTunes Media (and everything in it) …is the name of the shared folders

So I don’t see the shared computer or path names as being the issue. I would look closer at what’s perhaps blocking the access to the share on your Pixel Pro.

Is the Pixel device running any security software, firewall, VPN client service etc?

I did also find this support link in relation to Norton Firewall …

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/configure-norton-360-to-work-with-sonos

I’m not convinced though it’s a PC/Norton firewall issue, more likely a Pixel Pro phone issue, or setting… er… that’s what I’m personally thinking.

I’d be tempted to remove the hyphen from the computer name. I seem to recall some threads in this forum that suggest the Sonos Linux kernel was having difficulties with some ‘special’ characters. 

Thanks again.

I’ll focus on the pixel phone. It’s brand new, bought just before Christmas and all I’ve done is take it to Tesco, our mobile supplier and got him to copy apps over from my old iPhone.

Regarding the computer name, I don’t think there can be a problem with the hyphen as things have worked fine previously (and I’ve been using Sonos for quite a number of years.

Having written the above, I think I’ve cracked it! Looking in ‘Settings’ on the phone I came across “Music and Audio Permissions”: for Sonos this was set to Not Allow. Having changed this to Allow (and done the same for “Nearby Devices” whatever that’s supposed to mean) I now do seem to have items in my Music Library appearing! I’ll do some more checks but it’s all looking good.

Andy