Skip to main content

New BT router. Now no operating Windows S1 controller!

All parts of the Sonos S1 system working, except the CR200 controllers, which now display the BBC Sounds and Qobuz Music Services, but cannot access either. S1 mobile apps working, but what a drag they are - sucking the life out of the battery and never with you when you need a controller!

However, back to the Windows S1 Controller. It states it cannot see my (existing) system. I have tried all the suggestions: restarting the router, restarting the Bridge (I do not use WiFi to connect), uninstalling and re-installing the Windows Controller. On set up of the re-downloaded Controller, set up states the “app” is ready, however the Conroller continues to state it cannot see my system.

Any advice gratefully received that does not include ditching the Controllers and solely using the mobile and iPad apps, or using WiFi to connect (it needs an ethernet cable to the nearest speaker, which being a Play 5 is not easy to situate to connect by cable).

Reboot/reconnect everything on the network. It’s essential after a router replacement, to obtain fresh, unique IP address info.

You may get lucky by simply waiting a day for leases to expire, but it’s better to take deliberate action.

Thanks for reply - I see the same topic in other parts of the Forum, but like the original posters, I am a savvy user, not tech savvy!

How do I re-connect/reboot? I have switched off everything connected, including the ethernet cables and restarted, still no Windows S1 controller however. If I go into the router using the IP address all the Sonos devices are shown connected to one of the Ethernet ports on the router. Beyond this, I do not know precisely what to do, without risking losing something else!

Is the Windows computer on WiFi? If so it will see the new router as a new network, and is likely to have defaulted it to a ‘public’ network. See https://support.sonos.com/s/article/813

It’s possible BT have supplied you with a Router with old firmware, in the Router interface try disabling 5GHz Wi-Fi and see if that helps.

I’m not sure how that matters. The OP has a wired/SonosNet system.

Ratty - thanks again for your earlier reply. By reading other posts, I changed the network setting on my PC from Public to Private and the S1 Windows Controller started up, recognises all the devices including the NAS for my Music Library and allows playing to all or any Sonos speaker. Why a new Network defaults to Public, I do not know and if explained, I probably would not understand anyway!

Like others I am happily stuck with an S1 system with dedicated Sonos Controllers, which are gradually being made redundant, in the main rooms - not everone goes around the house with a mobile stuck in their pocket.

Thanks again - appreciate your major contributions to the Community Forum.

Good to hear.

By the way, I see you mentioned a Bridge. Their power supplies have a tendency to gradually lose voltage as they age, giving rise to intermittent connectivity problems. The Bridge also contains the earliest version of SonosNet wireless tech. If I were you I would pre-emptively remove it. If it’s not convenient to wire a player, and you don’t want to put the Sonos onto your WiFi (“wireless” setup), then your old Bridge will earn you a 30% discount off a Boost.

Why a new Network defaults to Public, I do not know and if explained, I probably would not understand anyway!

Because of security. Defaulting to Private would open your device up to instant hacking when you connected to eg Starbucks WiFi.

Some Sonos apps (eg mine) check for the Private/Public setting to give you a decent error message, but Sonos engineering prefer to not do that, to generate customer confusion and keep their Support folks super busy.