Will Sonos support Google Cast for Audio?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

162 replies

It's possible that Sonos' hands are tied. They appear to have a great relationship with Google, and allow the Google Music app to cast to Sonos devices. They are also improving relations with Apple and Amazon, implementing Apple Music and Amazon Prime Music, neither of which support Google Cast, and probably never will.

How does Sonos go about adding native support for Google Cast without adding support for (the vastly inferior) AirPlay and risk offending Apple? Would Apple and Amazon pull their support if Sonos appeared to favor Google?

Not merely a technical challenge, I think.
If in the case of CC:
1. Multi room play in sync works as well as it does with Sonos
2. Music play is as stable as it is with Sonosnet
then Sonos has an existential challenge as an independent operation, for the first time in ten years. CC then suddenly expands the competitive scenario for Sonos by orders of magnitude, to include the makers of all kinds of active speakers at price points from 2 digits all the way to 5 digits. Not just the Bluesound and few others of today.
I also see no reason why Google can't do something similar and yet more innovative given that it is now ten years down the line, than what Sonos has done with Sonosnet, if something is needed to be done for stable music play.
Interesting times ahead, and good news for all home AV users.
We can have some fun here putting out our views on what Sonos management can do to counter this threat, and I suggest the following should be ruled out straightaway:
1. Praying the Google is unable to achieve multi room and stable music play
2. Sell the company while the value remains high
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Maybe SONOS will finally reduce the price on the grossly overpriced Connect.
I expect to see that happen if Google does a good job of the multi room upgrade promised before end of 2015. If it does, and if audio streaming it delivers is close to being as stable as that on Sonos net, Connect pricing is blown out of the water, and then that becomes domino number one. Reducing price to 2 digit levels may be vital for not just Connect sales but for sales of the entire product line.

However, there are those two pretty significant "ifs".
I installed my first CC at my daughter's new home yesterday. She is on a budget and doesn't need multi room music that is in sync, and is presently quite content with a Rotel stereo amp that drives a pair of speakers each in two adjacent rooms, with a front panel A/B/A+B switch, that was in use at my home before I moved to Sonos.

And fortunately, her CC can be located just about 5 feet away from the WiFi router.

Connect was too rich for her budget, and CC was launched at just the right time for the right price from her point of view.

Findings:

I have found the sound with dynamic setting on, 2 volts, to be just as good as from Sonos or a CDP. With the setting off, the sound levels drop and the sound becomes congested. However that may be just a function of the signal level dropping to 1.4 volts, leading to a big drop in sound levels.

I would also say that the 1.4 volts is a compressed setting and the 2 volts, what Google calls high dynamic range, is normal. I have my 2 volts selected signal going into the analog aux input of the Rotel, but cheaper kit/boomboxes may find that too hot to handle without clipping and hence may need the 1.4 volts setting that is all they can handle. That's my theory, at any rate.

But listening and using the CC has proved to me that Google hasn't oversold the device. And while the USD 35 seems a steal, it now seems too much when the gadget is handled, it is like a small plastic hockey puck. But that doesn't impact what it delivers, which is excellent quality sound source, worthy of any downstream appliance one may use it with. IMO, even via analog route.

The promised multi room upgrade will take it to the next level - provided that WiFi reach and range don't get to be deal breaking issues.

CC was up and running in the same time that Sonos boxes are - five minutes from unboxing.

For people with significant Sonos investments, and at least one unit with a line in jack, CC seems to be a worthwhile add, preferably added in the room where the WiFi router is located - for those people that must have the native app access to their service of choice. Cheap way to get off the "Why won't Sonos do this" complaint threads. It does not make sense to me because I am fine with the Sonos versions of the interfaces.

For Sonos, time to reflect certainly.
Userlevel 1
Badge
they released the new play:5 without google cast or bluetooth support, brilliant strategy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Google cast would be a software update and way to early fit that. Bluetooth. Why would they add Bluetooth now. They never did before.
Still no answer from sonos 😞
Still no answer from sonos :(

Sonos seldom comments on future products or features.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3
Big news.

Google adds multi-room synch support today along with 96KHz/24bit lossless.

Makes those Connects even more absurdly expensive.

http://techcrunch.com/2015/12/10/google-fires-at-sonos-adds-multi-room-support-to-chromecast-audio/
Userlevel 1
Some news from the German Multi-Room market.

The German company "Raumfeld" (part of Teufel) announced Google Cast for all their products coming in Spring 2016.
(https://www.raumfeld.com/google-cast.html) *Website unfortunately in German.
No news yet on Sonos supporting Chromecast audio?? Come on SONOS, what are you waiting for!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
For the record - Sonos has never mentioned adding Chromecast audio support. We have speculated that it will be the service for them to add that makes the most sense (and they do need to add some type of casting).

Take that as good or bad but Sonos has never made mention of it. Unlike those like Denon HEOS who announced they were adding ... to only go a year and then tell their buyers that they now were not doing it.

Exactly the kind of thing Sonos tries to avoid - making any false promises.

If or When Sonos does announce a casting ability ... it will happen! And would mean they have confirmed it will work and would be well in development before they would make any mention of it.
But it's time for Sonos to make a statement. Sony, LG, ... are supporting Google Cast. Even more are supporting Spotify Connect. And I'm sitting here and am still waiting. Just a yes or a no, so that I know whether I can buy my next Sonos product or have to switch to a different product.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos will not saying anything if they are planning to support . .. they will only say something when support has already been developed and being implemented.

Example: HEOS announced Google Cast support over a year ago .... to only a year later say they couldn't do it.

Sonos would never do that ... they always wait until its ready and happening.
I find it hard to understand why people will choose to sacrifice the features needed for stable wireless music play - that Sonos does better than the named competition even today - to obtain what seem largely to be eye candy. And some convenience. I see it as a nice to have, but I can't see any sense in jumping ship because it isn't there.

What's the use of a better/slicker UI if the stability of the music coming out of the speakers is to be compromised?
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Some people, not me, are in love with the native app for their service.
I understand that bit; I just happen to think that no icing however good it may be, can make up for defective cake - defective here defined by lower music play up time. Cakes have first to be equally good for icing to decide the choice.

I am sure no one sits gazing at or playing with the native app when no music is coming out of the speakers, it can't be that good.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I agree
Userlevel 3
Badge
I don't think GoogleCast for Audio has to imply a bad playback experience, however, since it is also based on the audio playback device streaming the music itself, just like Sonos already does. Its more of a control mechanism for telling the device(s) what next to stream. Now, if we were talking about that garbage called AirPlay, then yes, I agree the experience would be bad since that's a really poorly designed protocol that depends on the sending device (mobile/etc) to push audio at the playback device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I have a good friend and neighbor who wanted to add audio from his computer and phone to his crestron system. I told him to add a Sonos to it. His installer talked him in to AirPlay because he could use the Spotify app he had been using. He had it for a month and kept complaining about how audio drops out all the time.

One night I brought one of my connects down and swapped out the airport express.

Needless to say after using a week he went out and bought a connect. Not only has he not had any more dropouts but he said sound quality is amazingly better.

However. Native Google casting gives you both. Flexibility and pulling music direct from Internet vs via device.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Google casting from native apps means that sonos does not have to keep up with changes so much, as long as the native app keeps casting it will send music to sonos or a CCA. Instead of sonos trying to catch up/fix things like bbc iplayer or audible etc
Eutopia would be that you could group CCA and sonos together......
Userlevel 3
Badge
Instead of sonos trying to catch up/fix things like bbc iplayer or audible etc
This would still be an issue. The device has to support the underlying streaming technologies used by services, such as Sonos implementing HLS for the new BBC streams. But now that the work is done, in theory any HLS-based service should now be supportable on Sonos.
He had it for a month and kept complaining about how audio drops out all the time.

Native Google casting gives you both. Flexibility and pulling music direct from Internet vs via device.

I am sure that it isn't just Airplay - many other CC compatible makes have similar issues with up time. Once CC does the pointing trick, those devices have to then keep the music playing without drop outs and none does this better than Sonos and very few do it as well.

Sonos supporting CCA would certainly be a good thing to have, no doubt - I just think it doesn't make sense to switch because or till it doesn't.