Skip to main content

Organic growth - with your existing customers - is often considered preferable in business. So why did Sonos choose to abandon S1 users (besides keeping S1 wheezing along)? Yes, fanbros, I understand that Sonos’s adding additional features like Alexa compatibility required additional memory and, so, change, but why not communicate with, and try to incorporate, your existing customer base into the process?

Alexa/Google voice assistants work with S1.

All of the original Sonos S1 ‘player’ devices still continue to work today via the S1 App. Some of those working computerised devices are more than 16 years old.

Sonos offer up-to 30% discount to existing users via their trade-up program.

Compare that to the likes of other computerised hardware manufacturers in todays marketplace and I think the answer is S1 users were not abandoned at all. Sonos have displayed an open invitation to all to stay aboard their innovative forward moving train. The rest is really up-to you.

It's been 2 freaking years, it's time to let it go.

As @jgatie says, not worth resurrecting a discussion in which all the arguments were done to death an age ago.

(This also seems to be the trolls’ go-to topic, although this particular thread may not be trolling.)

Sonos choose to abandon S1 users (besides keeping S1 wheezing along)?

I chose to not go ahead with S2, but my S1 system is working as well as it was when I bought it in 2011; indeed with the Trueplay added later, it is actually a better system now - so wheezing along is inaccurate. Given the option available within the world of Sonos of using a split system, or by going outside it, there are plenty of options there for customers of today; the whole S1/S2 issue is one only for that set of people that bricked their S1 products in a hurry to move to S2, before Sonos changed the need for such bricking and thereafter, this is a trivial matter - IMO.

I chose to not go ahead with S2, but my S1 system is working as well as it was when I bought it in 2011……..

Well, not really, is it? You can’t buy a new piece of kit and have it work with the rest of the system, which you could in 2011...

; indeed with the Trueplay added later, it is actually a better system now -

To Apple users only...

this is a trivial matter - IMO.

I wouldn’t say that it’s trivial that old and new kit can’t work together. Understandable, perhaps, but not trivial to those affected.

this is a trivial matter - IMO.

I wouldn’t say that it’s trivial that old and new kit can’t work together. Understandable, perhaps, but not trivial to those affected.

Those really affected are the ones that bought S2 knowing that it will not work with S1. Since I had other options, I did not do so, so this does not affect me. For those that must have more Sonos kit in addition to what they have that will not move to S2 and that they want to stay with, there is the well supported option of running split systems with units that can also be physically reorganised in a way that the fact that they cannot all be controlled via one app, or play together as one big group isn't that big a deal. 

In an ideal world S1 units would work on S2 with S1 limited functionality but Sonos says that is not possible technically and there is no point that I see in second guessing that assertion, which then has to be taken for what it is, at face value; in which case, the title thread of S1 users getting screwed by Sonos is not justified.

I don’t care if some people continue to believe Sonos screwed them.  My point is that nobody has come up with a new argument one way or the other in two years.  

It is the most done of done deals.  It won’t change.  Let’s move on.

Please. Were 227 pages of posts, from almost 2.5 yrs ago now, not sufficient?