Skip to main content

I have searched enough and saw people who asked ‘how to turn off’ questions got a weird ’low power consumption’ answer with no further explanation. 

I dont want a new task in my life 5x times a day (multiply with 3x device) to plug off arc, sub, one sl power cables.

What’s the logic behind this? Stability issues? Why does a company prefer forever (low or not) energy consumption?

I dont want a new task in my life 5x times a day (multiply with 3x device) to plug off arc, sub, one sl power cables.

If you are using all devices daily, leaving them on all the time may have a small energy use/cost, but eliminating that will be offset by reduced service life caused to the units by a daily power on/off. No one knows how much that offset will be, but it will be there.

That reduced life, by the way, is not a unique to Sonos thing, but something suffered by all electronic kit.

So to watch TV you would want to first walk over to the sub, each surround and the Arc to turn them each on? Ain’t no-one got time for that, as the meme says.

So is it just me? Nothing weird with no turn off button? Is everyone happy with forever energy consumption or plug it off 15x & plug it on 15x

So is it just me? Nothing weird with no turn off button? Is everyone happy with forever energy consumption or plug it off 15x & plug it on 15x

Given the energy cost of manufacture and distribution, it is questionable whether you are saving anything for you or the planet if you powered off fully every day.

I don’t understand your point about extra tasks.  Sonos speakers enter low power mode automatically shortly after play is stopped.

Stability is the other reason.  Every time you power off and on, your router has to provide a new IP address, and that is an opportunity for your router to get it wrong.  Possibly more importantly, Sonos was designed to run on its own mesh networking protocol, SonosNet.  There are still advantages to doing this and many of us still run SonosNet systems.  Taking parts of the system out of action requires reconfiguration and potentially sub-optimal performance.

Once IP addresses are reserved, I find that power cycling has no effect on stability/Sonos net. And Sonos net very quickly adapts automatically to different units being powered on at any given time.

IMO, a more accurate reason could be that as a US product, energy consumption issues were not a design priority, and adding a hard switch would also add costs. In any case, the energy saved by power cycling daily would be compensated - more or less - by the shortening of unit life via daily power cycling. So there is much less to be saved at the end of the day by the 15x activity that the OP refers to than may be seen in power bills. How much less - no one can say accurately.

What is missing is the ability to have standby power consumption per EU norms - 0.5 watts or less. The design requirement of the radios to be always on and polling must be coming in the way, but I understand that the latest units have a much lower standby power consumption than my kit of Connect/Connect Amp/Play 1 units that date back to 2013.

IMO, a more accurate reason could be that as a US product, energy consumption issues were not a design priority, and adding a hard switch would also add costs. In any case, the energy saved by power cycling daily would be compensated - more or less - by the shortening of unit life via daily power cycling. So there is much less to be saved at the end of the day by the 15x activity that the OP refers to than may be seen in power bills. How much less - no one can say accurately.

In my view the shortened life perspective is a non issue because of the change in Sonos support policy with s1/s2 🤷‍♀️ But many will see this different.

I agree there isn’t a lot of savings for an individual with a few speakers. Looking globally and the number of Sonos speakers out there, that’s a lot of speakers that could be consuming less electricity and that would be a good thing.

I refuse to move to S2 because I refuse to junk Sonos kit that is working fine since 2013. And I power cycle those of my 5 zones that don't see daily use. Both actions make sense to my wallet.

Do you turn off your TV at the wall when not using it? How about your WiFi router? Your clock radio? I doubt it.

Consumer electronics, by law, has to use only a certain amount of energy when in low power mode. Laws are different in the US vs EU, but the basic idea is the same.

Do you turn off your TV at the wall when not using it? How about your WiFi router? Your clock radio? I doubt it.

Consumer electronics, by law, has to use only a certain amount of energy when in low power mode. Laws are different in the US vs EU, but the basic idea is the same.

I don’t but then again my TV uses 0.5 watts in standby but the Sonos Amp connected to it uses 7.3 watts. I turn the lights off when I leave a room, do you? 

Touche!

There is one thing - that comparing the standby status for a TV may not be apples to apples when compared to that of a networked player like Sonos. There is far less to be done in a TV to move from standby to ON in the time expected by users of today compared to what has to be done for Sonos, because of which more things need to remain ON in Sonos even when in standby mode.

Sonos is a wireless audio system. If you have to turn it on every time you enter the room, it would just defeat the purpose of the system, especially if you like to use voice control to start playing music, like I do.

Sonos is a wireless audio system. If you have to turn it on every time you enter the room, it would just defeat the purpose of the system, especially if you like to use voice control to strat playing music, like I do.

I’m not following you, can you explain more?

Sonos speakers do not have a standby mode.  They have a low power mode.  A speaker may not be playing but still participating in SonosNet.  And of course, if you powered off your wired device in a SonosNet setup then the whole system would disappear.  

Even in WiFi mode, Sonos uses direct routing between devices where that would optimise performance.

I have already mentioned that every complete power off and on gives your router a chance to screw up IP addresses.  As a multi-device system Sonos is more vulnerable to IP address conflicts than single devices.

Controller devices latch onto a particular speaker (called the ‘associated product’) with which to communicate.  The system is designed to operate as a unified entity, not to have bits regularly removed and added back in, forcing reconfiguration and potentially sub-optimal performance..

The comparison with a standalone device like a television seems to me totally inappropriate.

@Bumper Can you tell me how my post is unclear to you? I like to have music start without hesitation when I enter the room and group speakers that are in a different part of the house. This is impossible if you have to start up the system manually every time you want to use it. Very 1995 in my opinion....

And I would seriously consider not turning off the lights when I left a room if it was going to take more than 3 seconds to put them on again when I returned.

The answer is for Sonos to find ways to minimise standby power consumption while still remaining available for play as it does today; perhaps all radios in each unit except one can be turned off. 0.5 watts in standby mode may not be possible but something better than today ought to be.

Hopefully these aspects get as much attention as the controller eye candy changes.

And I would seriously consider not turning off the lights when I left a room if it was going to take more than 3 seconds to put them on again when I returned.

Lol. Fair point. But it would also depend on the time I was to be away. Even if it took 15 seconds, I would turn them off for a long absence or even just overnight. Except perhaps for the one in the bathroom in such a case:-).

The TV standby is easy, power down all but the remote control circuitry and put up with long slow boot times. Which is why many brands offer a much higher power quick boot mode that keeps the CPU alive.

On Sonos there ins’t a remote control circuit as such, so all they can do is switch to low power mode.

You can duplicate the TV low power mode by simply adding a remote controlled smart power switch. Boot time will be a PITA but you’ll save all but a fraction of a watt for the smart switch. Old school you could just use a power strip. :-)