Skip to main content

Hello all,

I've had my a Sonos system for over 10 years and I love it.  My wife and I recently relocated and bought a new home.  Unfortunately, the new house is wired with a Legrand On Q system.  The Legrand system is just ok, barely.  The Legrand system sounds pretty poor compared to Sonos.  Legrand also offers far fewer streaming options compared to Sonos  The structured cabling tech who installed my system for the builder was here today explaining the Legrand system to me.  He didn’t know of a way to hook my media server to the Legrand system, or how I might incorporate my existing Sonos.

I’m thinking the Legrand will be ok for listening to music in the kitchen and living room, but I’d like to have my Sonos system in my media room where I can play files from my media server through my McIntosh amp.  I have a set of smaller Sonus Faber speakers hooked to the Mc and they could definitely be helped by my Sonos sub.  Here’s the Sonos equipment I own:

Bridge

Connect

Connect amp

Sonos Sub

Play 5 speaker

Any ideas or input for configuring this mess would be greatly appreciated.  To be honest I haven’t kept up with Sonos features and options in the last five or six years, so I’m behind the times.

Thanks!

Rick

I took a quick look at the OnQ site, since I know nothing about it, but didn’t find a ton of information.  There should be RCA, optical, or coax audio input somehwere, and you should be able to then connect your Connect into that system.    

I would assume they are using passive in ceiling speakers?  Then they must terminate to an amp somewhere.  You could take those speakers and plug them in to your Connect:amp, but I’d be careful to make sure the speakers are 8 ohms.  I’ve seen builders put in very cheap speakers before.

If the OnQ system can accept a “Line Level” input source, such as a CD player, use CONNECT as your source for the OnQ system. CONNECT:AMP will not be very useful to integrate with the OnQ controls. CONNECT:AMP would be used to drive a regular pair of speakers.Depending on the physical wire routes, the most practical arrangement may be to use CONNECT for feeding the OnQ and purchase a PORT (replaces CONNECT in the SONOS line) for your McIntosh system. BRIDGE is not required, but it can be useful if you don’t have a network port near a SONOS player.

Thanks guys.  I think I’m going the Port route.  Thanks again for the input!

I’m in the same spot. OnQ (intuity 44891 controller) isn’t great for ease-of-control, source options, multi-source zone control, and several other things and I’d like to by-pass it entirely if need be to use Sonos. However, it would be great to use any of the components here that I’ve already paid for.

I have 4 zones in my home. All are amplified and controlled through LeGrand complete with manual wall controls at each zone. It would be great if I could use what I have to continue amplifying my 4 zones but allow me to control them separately via my sonos app. In a perfect world I would also still be able to use the wall controls but if I have to forgo them to be able to use sonos, so be it.

Worst-case I know I can purchase a Sonos Amp for each zone and be done with Legrand entirely but again, would rather not if I can maintain individual zone control.

I’m in the same spot. OnQ (intuity 44891 controller) isn’t great for ease-of-control, source options, multi-source zone control, and several other things and I’d like to by-pass it entirely if need be to use Sonos. However, it would be great to use any of the components here that I’ve already paid for.

I have 4 zones in my home. All are amplified and controlled through LeGrand complete with manual wall controls at each zone. It would be great if I could use what I have to continue amplifying my 4 zones but allow me to control them separately via my sonos app. In a perfect world I would also still be able to use the wall controls but if I have to forgo them to be able to use sonos, so be it.

Worst-case I know I can purchase a Sonos Amp for each zone and be done with Legrand entirely but again, would rather not if I can maintain individual zone control.

A single Port will give you a single stream of audio.  For 4 different streams, you’d need 4 ports.  I don’t know OnQ enough to know what it’s audio input capabilities are.  You would be able to select  music with the Sonos app though.

Volume is a bit more complicated.  You do have the option of sending line level volume with a Port, so that the only way to control volume is with wall controls.  Or you could allow volume control with the Port, which can be convenient, but confusing when the app is at high volume but the wall control is muting  (so you hear nothing)...or vice versa.  You should be able to pull the wall controls out, but then you have a hole in the wall to deal with.