Answered

trueplay for Android?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

135 replies

When you purchased, I'm assuming you got a zone or two and a CR100 or 200. Was the smartphone app an option for you at the time?
When you purchased, I'm assuming you got a zone or two and a CR100 or 200. Was the smartphone app an option for you at the time?

No it was not yet an available option and I would not have paid much attention to it even if it was. I started with 6 zones and 3 controllers to test things out and then expanded from there. I'm sure I would have gone in a different direction if there was no dedicated controller at that time. I certainly didn't picture a future where Sonos would be so vulnerable to the shortcomings of third party hardware.
Upstatemike, I think you need to understand that just because you personally are able to drop thousands of dollars on dedicated controllers you are a vanishingly small minority in the market. The majority of people could never contemplate that and would much rather just have a free app. Those are the people driving the market, not you.

I can only suggest you replace your Sonos with a system that provides you with a hardware controller if you feel that strongly about it.
Cheap droid devices are less than the price of most of the Sonos-provided controllers.
Or even low spec iPod Touches.
I can only suggest you replace your Sonos with a system that provides you with a hardware controller if you feel that strongly about it.

I probably will move on at some point but that was not the point here. I was only pointing out that a dedicated controller provides better opportunities to introduce new functionality without the unintended consequences caused when you become too dependent on third party hardware that has issues that are outside of your control.
I was only pointing out that a dedicated controller provides better opportunities to introduce new functionality without the unintended consequences caused when you become too dependent on third party hardware that has issues that are outside of your control.
But, as already noted, this ignores the counter-argument that one's then hostage to reduced R&D investment, higher component cost, and (over-)extended life cycle due to being a small player in a commoditized mass market of such touchscreen devices. I was originally a fan of the CR100, less so of the CR200 (notwithstanding its touchscreen faults), and IMO Sonos made absolutely the right decision to ride the wave of smartphones and tablets.
Badge
Back to the original point: (currently) no TruePlay functionality in the Android app.
Possible options to rectify this shortcoming:
1. SONOS built or spec'd controller. SONOS would already have considered this. Given the damage to their until then flawless reputation plus the ROI (Return On Investment) probably being -ve this is a non-starter.
2. Commission one or several top segment Android device operators to include a "standard" microphone and audio codec into their product will cost the proverbial arm and a leg and would fail the ROI test. Also other manufacturers would bleat "cartel formation" leading to financial and reputation damage. Thus a non-starter.
3.A SONOS TruePlay tuning microphone with the( necessary audio codec?) included in the Android controller. As mobile phones (and tablets?) have a jack plug wired for both incoming and outgoing audio for hands-free phone calls and as it should be easy and cheap to build a suitable microphone into a really small jack plugged device. OK, OK, so Apple doesn't need it but you do want TruePlay don't you? Slightly clunky solution but workable.
4. SONOS are already working on an elegant solution which they will release when it is ready. This is probably the real world solution currently in progress.
NeillJ, best post I've seen on here in ages, I wish everyone here was as logical as you!
Bluetooth has pretty indifferent audio quality, and BT microphones tend to be aimed at the human vocal range. Can you identify any quality microphones with a decent frequency response covering the entire audible spectrum?

I think quality is not that important. The microphones that Apple uses in their product are not exactly high quality microphones either. More important is that Apple is only using 12 different microphones across all their products. This allows Sonos to compensate for non-linear behavior. As long as Sonos can identify the microphone, they can make it work. This is also the main reason why Sonos is not supporting Android. You can find thousands of different microphone types in Android devices. It is easy to measure the 12 Apple microphones, it is impossible to keep up with the Android microphones.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
NeillJ's response is excellent.

Solution 3, a Sonos microphone to plug into an Android device would be acceptable, if somewhat clunky, as Neli points out.

What is important is that Sonos address the issue without delay.

NJSS
Without delay? You mean rush some half-baked badly thought out idea to market that doesn't work properly? I'd rather they took their time and got it right.
World Phone Market Share 2015

IOS:: 11.90 %

Android: 84.60 %

You would think that Sonos would find a way !!!
Somebody needs to read the thread.
I had read the thread - my reply still stands.
I had read the thread - my reply still stands.

Try understanding the words then, your reply is nonsense. The reason they haven't done android yet is clearly explained. If anything the figures you quote reinforces the reason why android is so difficult.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
reading comprehension issues

market share because of so many manufacturer devices instead of just one.

no trueplay because of so many manufacturer devices instead of just one.

They go hand in hand.
Yes LHC , I understand the issue of the varying devices. Somewhere there is a solution. But my decision would have been to get people working on the largest market share first by concentrating on just those Android devices that met their requirements for commonality.

Total world Iphones: 151 million units - Total world Samsung Android phones : 300 million units,- Other Android manufacturers: 460 million units. I understand where you are coming from.

This is just MHO
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos even said they tried to support at least a single manufacturer like Samsung ... but even then even on the same model phone they found variances in the microphone.

It seems the only solution non-ios is going to require a microphone (a plug in one or using built in one like in the new Play:5).
Why do I think if bestday were an iDevice owner, his "decision" would be to get the easiest implementation out to the public first, and work on the hard one later? Just a hunch.
I think that there would be significant market push back if there was a cost associated with an Android solution. Market research would be required to sort this out. When the CR200 was on the market there were numerous outraged voices shouting all sorts of nasty comments about being forced to purchase a high priced controller when their iDevice was already sitting in their pocket. In this context the controller is "free". I doubt if SONOS could have charged a small fee for their controller App without incurring market push back.

I know many customers would gladly accept a cost for a microphone accessory, but I don't know the fractions.

There are a couple options to explore:

First, it may be possible to use an existing PLAY:x to calibrate the Android microphone. However, one would need to exercise great care when positioning the Android microphone relative to the PLAY:x. This may turn out to be too "complicated" for the average user. In addition to researching the technical details, one would need some market research about the "complicated" part.

Second, the new PLAY:5 includes two microphones. This opens the possibility of using a PLAY:5 to calibrate an Android microphone or using a PLAY:5 to calibrate other PLAY:x units. Again, there are some "complicated" aspects with this approach.

Third (bonus option), dealers could provide a calibrating service for Android devices. The dealer would strap the Android device into a jig and develop a custom calibration curve for the specific customer owned device. I don't know if dealers would welcome this opportunity or grumble about the extra work -- and someone must foot the cost of the jig. I'm not sure how a Best Buy, TARGET, or web store could fit into this scheme. Actually, a very inexpensive jig (possibly 3D printed -- at home) and a new PLAY:5 could be strapped together to build a calibration facility.
Yes, as I've pointed out several times, ELAC has done it by first having the user calibrate the phone's mic by placing it in the near field while test tones are played. Simple enough for a sub, but might be a more complex process for full range speakers, requiring the customer to move the phone nearer to the mids, then the tweeters, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Just have a Sonos "Trueplay" tuning party. Don't bring a bottle - bring an IOS device. Get all your Plays tuned AND have a party
I can accept the reasoning that there are too many Android devices to make the True Play run the way they want. Makes sense.

However, what doesn't make sense is that there is "no" Android devices supported. No one is expecting Sonos to come out with a new feature and support a wild amount of devices.

It would make far more sense, if they released True Play for the select top tier Android phones on the market (which probably number around the same, as all of the iDevices currently supported). This is the same as the PC market, where you need a certain level of hardware to run certain programs. Some is supported, some is not.
I can accept the reasoning that there are too many Android devices to make the True Play run the way they want. Makes sense.

However, what doesn't make sense is that there is "no" Android devices supported. No one is expecting Sonos to come out with a new feature and support a wild amount of devices.

It would make far more sense, if they released True Play for the select top tier Android phones on the market (which probably number around the same, as all of the iDevices currently supported). This is the same as the PC market, where you need a certain level of hardware to run certain programs. Some is supported, some is not.

If you actually read the responses you'd know that even on a single model of android phone there can be any number of different microphones used, the android manufacturers don't standardize on type, they just use whatever they can get their hands on.