Answered

Trueplay brings stereo pair out of balance

• 6 November 2022
  • 90 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have a strange problem. In one room I have 2 sonos five in stereo. After trueplay is done, they are out of balance. I have to slide the balance 5 points to the right. If i toggle trueplay on off, it is very noticeable. with trueplay off balance is in center 🤷🏻‍♂️ Anyway to fix this without using the balance control? 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 13 November 2022, 18:40

View original

90 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You could try Trueplay again, but stay more at your preferred seating position.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

You could try Trueplay again, but stay more at your preferred seating position.

I have tried multiple times, with iphone 12 pro and my Ipad, but the results are always the same. Left speaker is louder then the right. Very annoying… If I turn off trueplay, they are back in balance 🤷🏻‍♂️

There might be value in engaging with Sonos customer support, after submitting a system diagnostic.

If you physically swap the FIVE’s, does the problem move with the speaker?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

If you physically swap the FIVE’s, does the problem move with the speaker?

No, it’s still the left speaker which is louder 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Is there anything odd about your room symmetry?

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Is there anything odd about your room symmetry?

I don’t think so, but it have a lot of windows 🤷🏻‍♂️

This is an issue which everyone has I think. There was another thread about it. I have 2 x One’s in a stere pair and it is the same story. The right one is noticeable louder than the left one. When I toggle Trueplay on/off it goes back to normal but when I change to next song the problem is still there…. It is very annoying.  

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This is an issue which everyone has I think. There was another thread about it. I have 2 x One’s in a stere pair and it is the same story. The right one is noticeable louder than the left one. When I toggle Trueplay on/off it goes back to normal but when I change to next song the problem is still there…. It is very annoying.  

Thank you for letting me know. Wonder if Sonos is aware of it, and if there will be a fix?

Why not submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. And you’d find out if your issue is the same as the other one or not, and possibly if they’re working on a fix. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Why not submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it?

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution. And you’d find out if your issue is the same as the other one or not, and possibly if they’re working on a fix. 

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Will this work in Norway, and is it possible to talk to someone who speaks Norwegian?

I think so, but I don’t work for Sonos, and live in the US, so I’m not overly familiar with their Norwegian support. However, giving them hard data to look at, and contacting them with a diagnostic number so they know what they’re looking at and for, certainly makes some sense to me. Especially if it turns out to be something completely different, and yet shows up as a similar issue. 

I’m having a similar issue with my stereo fives. Even without Trueplay on, the left speaker is louder. 

I also trueplayed them in a 5.1 system and the right speaker does a different pitch to the rest?

I’ve sent a diagnostic report 710738009. 

Also I’ve noticed that if I put the channel slider to the right and turn Trueplay on and off. There is no change. But on the left there is. Trueplay isn’t doing anything to my right speaker. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’m having a similar issue with my stereo fives. Even without Trueplay on, the left speaker is louder. 

I also trueplayed them in a 5.1 system and the right speaker does a different pitch to the rest?

Also I’ve noticed that if I put the channel slider to the right and turn Trueplay on and off. There is no change. But on the left there is. Trueplay isn’t doing anything to my right speaker. 

Oh!!! Maybe this is the case for to. I have to investigate a bit more. But I can confirm that the balance problem is there befor trueplay, but not so noticeable as after. I thought at first that they were in balance without trueplay, but I have realised they are not.

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Ok, I have tested a bit more, and you are 100% correct 👍 truplay does absolutely nothing to the right speaker. I made a diagnostic report: 1680480534. I have no clue how to proceed, but seems like I am not alone, and hopefully Sonos can fix it through a firmware update. Thank you for letting me know. 

The process for proceeding is to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. They’ll need the number of that diagnostic, so that someone can look at it. 

I’ve just finished on the phone with customer support. They ran numerous diagnostic checks and can’t find a issue?

They checked the speaker and said it’s working fine, I’m not sure what’s causing this. 

Sonos are not aware of it, but I can find a few people saying the same thing on the community. Hopefully it’s a simple update to rectify and eventually not a problem with the actual speaker. 

I have to send a video through email showing the difference in sound between each speaker in a stereo pair, so SONOS can have a look at it. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I have now been in contact with Sonos. It was a known software issue, and they were working on it. So hopefully it will be fixed soon 🤗

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’ve just finished on the phone with customer support. They ran numerous diagnostic checks and can’t find a issue?

They checked the speaker and said it’s working fine, I’m not sure what’s causing this. 

Sonos are not aware of it, but I can find a few people saying the same thing on the community. Hopefully it’s a simple update to rectify and eventually not a problem with the actual speaker. 

I have to send a video through email showing the difference in sound between each speaker in a stereo pair, so SONOS can have a look at it. 

Strange, I was in contact with Sonos Norway and they said it was a known software issue 🤷🏻‍♂️🙈

I’ve was on the phone for nearly 2 hours and the person I spoke to had no idea. They spoke to a few other people too. 

I’ve just separated my fives totally and then grouped them together and the sound from both is pretty much identical. So this would suggest a software issue. 

it’s very frustrating though. Because it makes it sound like a speaker is faulty. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

I’ve was on the phone for nearly 2 hours and the person I spoke to had no idea. They spoke to a few other people too. 

I’ve just separated my fives totally and then grouped them together and the sound from both is pretty much identical. So this would suggest a software issue. 

it’s very frustrating though. Because it makes it sound like a speaker is faulty. 

Were are you located? Strange they told me it was a known issue, and those you spoke to wasn’t aware of it. I have turned trueplay off and just adjusted the equaliser. Not optimal, but it have to do for now. 

I’m in GB. 

I have the same problem with my 2 sonos five. I disabled trueplay while waiting for a fix.

I’ve the same issue since 14.18 for a pair of ones (with mini-sub) and a pair of fives. 

One way did help, and that was to factory reset the speakers, log out of the sonos app and join them into a new network group - though it only worked with the fives and not the ones. And since updating to 14.20, the fives have reverted back to being biased on the left. 

I’d managed to escalate the issue with Sonos and was informed it’s a known issue which they’re looking into. Till then was advised to just turn trueplay off, which i have as even just changing the balancing is insufficient as there’s disparity between treble on them. 

Sonos claim - “At this point, this is an apple issue since sonos only gets then sound profile that the iphone sends"

But this doesn't make much sense to me as to why it’s an apple issue, plus I’ve tried with an ipad, iphone 12 & iphone 14 all running different OS versions. 

At one point I’ll get round to replying to their email and questioning this. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Having the same issue. The speakers sound terrible using Trueplay. I’ve just posted having not seen this.