The Sonos Brexit and pragmatic ways past it

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

570 replies

First of all, I will join some of my predecessors  in this thread in thanking Kumar for creating it. Happy to see we can still have a reasonable discussion on here, despite the main thread and almost every other thread on this community being hijacked by vitriol, some of it justified, some of it either genuinely misinformed or malignantly trolling. You would think Patrick Spence is personally going to go into peoples homes, smash legacy devices to bits and spit customers in their faces... First world problems much?

Second, I will apologize that I don't completely fit the description in the OP, as my system does not consist of mainly legacy devices and I would like to see further updates to my newer ones, but I still have to resort to this thread as it seems the only place to turn currently :). So even though I might stray off the original topic, it's not my intention to hijack this thread, I am just trying to have an actual conversation without being shouted down or drowned out.

I already posted a rather futile message in the main thread asking for some discussion or maybe even speculation before Kumar opened this one, I will reiterate and expand some of my points here. 

One of the points I raised was if we would see the first time that Sonos would respond, or even alter or reverse their course based on the outcry, given the fact that this has seen much more publicity, also in the mainstream media, than the CM100 or “on this iPhone” issues. We have seen a partial answer to that question in the letter from the CEO, which has at least brought some nuance.

One can now keep hoping that more adverse reactions will lead to the next step - that for those that stay back, modern products in legacy systems will keep marching ahead, albeit with features that will not be available to the legacy products - but grouped multi room play across the entire system will be possible. If Sonos were to find a way to get to this place, there will be no legitimate reason for any complaints.

A case then, for the protests to continue; outside of this thread though:-).

I sincerely hope this may happen. It seems that this should be technically feasible, but that Sonos is shying away from the effort involved in favor of freezing a system and pushing the Trade-up program. They may well decide that the bad publicity will hurt them more in the long run, then a decision to invest more resources into rethinking the software. I read on here once that each player model already downloads its own tailored image of the firmware, so though the firmware level is the same, it is not bit-for-bit identical on each device. I am not an IT developer, but it seems to me this could be a good starting point to think about also splitting firmware levels across devices without breaking the system.

As to options after May, I am not sure yet. I own two (currently) legacy devices, a stereo pair of Play 5 gen1s, formerly used in my main living room area, but since moved to my office, where they serve, by way of the line-in, as extremely overqualified PC speakers. Given this one-sided use case, I wouldn't mind splitting my system, because I did grow very accustomed to voice control and i would like to have my remaining “modern” devices to be on the bleeding edge.

On the other hand, I may well trade-up to at least one Play 5 gen2 as my “PC speaker” and use the other one  together with a trade up on my - next-in-line? - Play:3 to get stereo Ones for the bedroom. While I have seen good points for staying legacy, in my situation that just doesn't feel right with a system that consists mainly of “modern” devices.

The Play 5s are the only units I own with a line in (not counting the optical on the Playbar), so working with external solutions like Echo's, or CCA-like devices is not a solution to me to provide multiple streams to multiple rooms, nor do these ecosystems provide me with the ease of use I find in Sonos. They feel like a band-aid to me, and they will most certainly feel like a hassle to my SO, for using a system that represents such an investment.

And then, the future. When will this happen again? Will this be the ongoing reality now that Pandora's box has been opened? If they figure out a way to split firmware levels like described above, maybe not.

Based on the information about internal memory circling here, it seems that the Play:3 and Play:1 will be next. But how soon? I saw mention of the fact that 64 MB of memory is only a marginal improvement over the 32 MB units that are now left behind. Yes, to today's standards and the current 1 GB used, it is marginal, but from the perspective of the now “legacy” units, it is a 100% increase. If the functionality that was relevant to these units could be maintained until now within the constraints of 32 MB RAM and ROM, you would think that a 100% step up would allow for significant breathing room until the next devices (64 MB) will reach their limit. Of course, growth is not linear in this context, so I am not saying it will take another 10+ years. Also, it is predicated on the assumption that Sonos will keep doing everything in their power to not leave hardware behind, which takes us back to the original question if this is an occasional measure, or the setting in motion of a new practice.

And an aside - I am pretty sure that this action by Sonos is not going to help them in the case against “evil” Google. Google is savvy enough to have picked up on this firestorm and will look to how best it can be exploited in its defense, if that is in any way possible.

I am afraid that you are right...

Let's see how this unfolds. I cannot say I was not disappointed when the message came, but my sympathy for the brand remains and I would love to keep using it and trusting it to work like I want to.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

One can now keep hoping that more adverse reactions will lead to the next step - that for those that stay back, modern products in legacy systems will keep marching ahead, albeit with features that will not be available to the legacy products - but grouped multi room play across the entire system will be possible. If Sonos were to find a way to get to this place, there will be no legitimate reason for any complaints.

I sincerely hope this may happen. It seems that this should be technically feasible, but that Sonos is shying away from the effort involved in favor of freezing a system and pushing the Trade-up program. They may well decide that the bad publicity will hurt them more in the long run, then a decision to invest more resources into rethinking the software. I read on here once that each player model already downloads its own tailored image of the firmware, so though the firmware level is the same, it is not bit-for-bit identical on each device. I am not an IT developer, but it seems to me this could be a good starting point to think about also splitting firmware levels across devices without breaking the system.

What Kumar states above is how Sonos works today. For example, AirPlay 2 is only installed on newer devices.

You are correct that there is already support for device-specific firmware. What needs to be added is the ability to mix firmware versions within the same Sonos system, with the ability to accommodate differing protocols where this is required. This is 100% common practice in distributed software systems, most of which don’t have the luxury of lock-step updates.

….I much prefer the Echo which can initiate play by voice AND by phone. The latter via casting or by bluetooth.

Yes, a friend does this, streaming via bluetooth to his legacy system - although the bluetooth side seems less reliable than wifi or ethernet - as you’d expect, though

Second, I will apologize that I don't completely fit the description in the OP, as my system does not consist of mainly legacy devices and I would like to see further updates to my newer ones, but I still have to resort to this thread as it seems the only place to turn currently :). So even though I might stray off the original topic, it's not my intention to hijack this thread, I am just trying to have an actual conversation without being shouted down or drowned out.

There is no apology due as long as you are part of a constructive conversation. 

An eye for eye makes the whole world go blind... Mahatma Gandhi?

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Could you post a link to the reference document for blocking updates? The one link I can find is broken.. Much appreciateed

I have a PDF of it:

Sonos System Lockdown Procedures (To Prevent CR100 Controllers from Being Bricked)

Revision 2 – 27/Mar/2018

Step 1 : Update Sonos System to v8.4

This guide assumes that you have updated your Sonos system and ALL of your controllers/apps to the latest version that does not brick your CR100 controllers, i.e. v8.4.

Please note that currently there are no instructions for the Amazon store or the Amazon Fire tablets as I don’t have access to them. If someone can put together some instructions, then I’ll happily incorporate them here.

Important Note v8.4 : Updating your system to v8.4 forces a message to be displayed on CR100 controllers warning of their upcoming demise. It has been reported that this message is set to only appear five times, however at present no‐one knows if this message sequence is then repeated in the future. However, if you missed updating your entire system to v8.3.1/8.3.2, or have a system whose components are at different versions and you’re being prompted to update, then your only choice is to update to the current v8.4 – but you need to do this before Sonos releases the next version (end March 2018?).

Step 2 : Backup Sonos "Legacy" Programs/Apps
Do this before the end of March 2018. Sometime in April 2018 Sonos will be updating the Sonos

programs/apps with versions that, if installed, will brick your CR100 controllers.

Follow the procedures below to obtain offline copies of all the 8.4 installation programs/apps necessary to be able to reinstall them on your computers and portable devices any time in the future, independent of what's available at that time from Sonos or the app stores.

Windows Desktop v8.4 (must be done before end March 2018)

Download the desktop program from:

https://www.sonos.com/redir/controller_software_pc

Mac Desktop v8.4 (must be done before end March 2018)

Download the desktop program from:

https://www.sonos.com/redir/controller_software_mac

‐1‐

Apple iOS Sonos v8.4 (must be done before end March 2018)

There are two ways of doing this. If you have iTunes 12.7 or later installed, then you can no longer use iTunes to manage apps. If you wish to continue using iTunes 12.7 or later then you will need to use the second method. The first method involves downgrading iTunes so that you get its app management features back again.

METHOD 1 : iTunes v12.6.3 or earlier
If you have iTunes v12.7 or later installed then downgrade iTunes to v12.6.3 (instructions to do this

can be found here : http://www.valuewalk.com/2017/10/downgrade‐itunes‐12‐6‐3/).

1. Start iTunes and select "Apps" from the content list dropdown at the top‐left.

2. Log in using your Apple ID as necessary (via the Account menu).

3. Click on "App Store" (top‐middle of screen).

4. Search for the Sonos app.

5. Click on the "Download" button below the Sonos app and wait for the download to complete.

6. Verify that the Sonos app is now in your library by clicking on "Library" (top middle of screen).

The icon for the Sonos app should be shown in your app library that is now on screen.

7. Close iTunes.

8. Start Finder (Mac) or Windows Explorer (Win).

9. Copy the Sonos app package "Sonos 8.4.ipa" to a safe backup location from the following

iTunes library location:
    Mac : [User]/Music/iTunes/Mobile Applications
    Windows : [DRIVE]:\Users\[User]\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications

Important: note that all "ipa" files are uniquely tied to the Apple ID that downloaded them. If you use multiple Apple IDs in your household then repeat steps 3 to 9 above for each Apple ID, giving a unique name to each backup "Sonos 8.4.ipa" file so that you will know which file relates to which Apple ID.

METHOD 2 : iTunes v12.7 or later

iTunes v12.7 or later no longer allows you to manage apps. As such we will use a third‐party program to download the Sonos app.

1. Download and install the FREE version of iMazing from https://imazing.com/. The free version allows you to backup and restore individual apps.

2. Connect your iOS device to your computer (USB) and start iMazing. iMazing should detect your iOS device and display details about it.

3. Left‐click on your device in the "AVAILABLE" list on the left.

4. You should now see options appear to the right such as "Back Up", Restore a Backup" etc.

Left‐click on "Manage Apps" from this list.

5. Sign In to your Apple account, using your Apple ID, by clicking on the "Sign In" button at the

top‐right of the window.

6. In the Manage Apps window, select the Library tab.

7. Scroll down the list until you find the Sonos 8.4 app. If it is not there, then you'll need to add

to your library as follows:

‐2‐

1. Click on the "Add from App Store" button.

2. Type "Sonos" in the search box.

3. Click on the download icon to the right of the "Sonos Controller" v8.4 app.

4. When the download is complete press the Done button. The Sonos v8.4 app should now

be shown in your library.

8. You can now either:
a. Copy the Sonos app package "Sonos 8.4.ipa" to a safe backup location from the following

iTunes library location:

OR, while you're still in iMazing:

1. Right‐click on the Sonos app in the Library list and select "Export .IPA"

2. A dialog box will pop up for you to select which folder you want the file saved to. Once

you have selected the folder, click the OK button.

3. The program will now have saved the Sonos 8.4 installation file in that folder, named

"Sonos 8.4.ipa"

Important: note that all "ipa" files are uniquely tied to the Apple ID that downloaded them. If you use multiple Apple IDs in your household then repeat steps 3 to 9 above for each Apple ID, giving a unique name to each backup "Sonos 8.4.ipa" file so that you will know which file relates to which Apple ID.

Google Play (Android) Sonos v8.4

1. Simply download the Sonos Controller v8.4 for Android from here:

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/sonos‐inc/

2. Then you may optionally block the Sonos app from being automatically updated as follows:

(thanks to stevecomp3 on the Sonos forums for pointing this out)

1. Open the Google Play store.

2. Press the three bars at the top left, then select “My Apps & Games.”

3. Press on “INSTALLED” tab and you’ll be taken to a list of your installed apps.

4. Scroll down the list until you find “Sonos Controller for Android”. Press on this app,

being careful to NOT press on the UPDATE that may be to the right of it.

5. This will bring you to the apps’ store page. When here, press the three dots at the top

right of the app’s page and untick the box that says “Auto‐Update.”

‐3‐

3. Alternatively, you can stop ALL apps from automatically updating as follows:

1. Open the Google Play store.

2. Press the three bars at the top left, then select “Settings”

3. You’ll have a selection of options. Press the one that says “Auto‐update Apps” – it

should be near the top of the Settings options.

4. You’ll now be presented with a selection of different options for auto‐updating apps.

The options listed will depend upon various factors but may include to have auto‐ updates run as normal, disable them, or have apps auto‐update only when you’re on WiFi. Select “Do not auto‐update apps”.

Step 3 : Block Sonos System from Updates (and optionally from the Internet)

1. Within the Sonos app (Android & iOS), select the option to NOT automatically check for updates.

2. [Android Only] Block the Sonos app from auto updating:

1. Open the Play Store App

2. hile you can shut down ALL updates, you can also find the specific installed app (in this case Sonos) and using the menu icon in the upper right corner you can elect to disable the auto‐Update ONLY the specific program.

3. Set any desktop versions you have installed to also NOT automatically check for updates.

4. On your router do the following:

1. Block TCP port 4444 (typically under Firewall settings)

2. Block access to the following two URLs (typically under Firewall settings):

update.sonos.com

update‐firmware.sonos.com

3. Block internet access for ALL of your Sonos hardware [optional].
      On my router I can do this under Parental Controls Time Scheduling and can block the MAC address for all of my Sonos gear from accessing the internet 24 hours a day. This does mean that you'll lose access to all streaming and internet radio services via your Sonos system. Not doing this means that you'll be completely reliant on the above blocked port and blocked URL to protect you from updates.

‐4‐

With the above protections in place, this should mean that even if an updated Sonos app tried to connect to the system, then all that would happen is that it would report that the system needs to be updated but that it is unable to do so.

‐5‐

How to Install “Legacy” Sonos Apps on iOS and Android

To install your saved “legacy” Sonos apps on new iOS or Android devices at any time in the future then follow these instructions. Note that the success of this is dependent on the “legacy” Sonos apps still being able to work with whatever version of iOS or Android that is on your device at that time.

Apple iOS

There are two ways of doing this. If you have iTunes 12.7 or later installed, then you can no longer use iTunes to manage apps. If you wish to continue using iTunes 12.7 or later then you will need to use the second method. The first method involves downgrading iTunes so that you get its app management features back again.

METHOD 1 : iTunes v12.6.3 or earlier
If you have iTunes v12.7 or later installed then downgrade iTunes to v12.6.3 (instructions to do this

can be found here : http://www.valuewalk.com/2017/10/downgrade‐itunes‐12‐6‐3/).

1. Using Windows Explorer (Win) or Finder (Mac) copy the Sonos app package "Sonos 8.4.ipa" to your iTunes library location:

2. Start iTunes and select "Apps" from the content list dropdown at the top‐left.

3. Click on the "Library" tab (top middle of screen).

4. Add the “legacy” Sonos app to your library as follows:

1. From the iTunes menu, select File > Add File to Library...

2. In the “Add To Library” dialog box, navigate to your iTunes library folder (above) and

select the “Sonos 8.4.ipa” file that you copied there in step 1.

3. Click on the Open button. The Sonos app icon should now appear amongst your other

library app icons.

5. Connect your iOS device to your computer and wait for it to be recognised by iTunes.

6. Select your iOS device in iTunes by clicking on the small tablet icon to the right of the content

dropdown list

7. Click on “Apps” in the listing on the left

‐6‐

1. In the listing of apps that appears, scroll down as necessary and click on the Sonos Controller app to highlight it.

2. Click on the Sonos Controller “Install” button. The button will now change to show “Will Install”.

3. Click on the “Apply” button at the bottom right of iTunes. This will force a Sync of your device and will install the “legacy” Sonos Controller app onto it. Be patient, this can take several minutes to complete.

4. On your iOS device, start the Sonos Controller and when prompted, select “Connect to an existing system”.

METHOD 2 : iTunes v12.7 or later

iTunes v12.7 or later no longer allows you to manage apps. As such we will use a third‐party program to install the Sonos app.

1. Download and install the FREE version of iMazing from https://imazing.com/. The free version allows you to backup and restore individual apps.

2. Connect your iOS device to your computer (USB) and start iMazing. iMazing should detect your iOS device and display details about it.

3. Left‐click on your device in the "AVAILABLE" list on the left.

4. You should now see options appear to the right such as "Back Up", Restore a Backup" etc.

Left‐click on "Manage Apps" from this list.

5. Sign In to your Apple account, using your Apple ID, by clicking on the "Sign In" button at the

top‐right of the window.

6. In the Manage Apps window, select the “Device” tab.

7. Right‐click anywhere below the tabs names, and select "Install .IPA File" from the pop‐up

menu.

8. In the Open dialog box, navigate to the previously saved "Sonos 8.4.ipa" file and click on the

Open button. Ensure that the Sonos file that you select is the one associated with the Apple ID

you just signed in with.

9. The “legacy” Sonos Controller app will now be installed on your device. Be patient, this can

take several minutes to complete.

10. On your iOS device, start the Sonos Controller and when prompted, select “Connect to an

existing system”.

‐7‐

Android

By default, Android’s security is setup to not allow apps to be installed from unknown sources. In our case, trying to install the Sonos “apk” file that you downloaded earlier is an “unknown source”. So, we need to temporarily adjust your devices security settings to allow the “legacy” Sonos app to be installed.

1. System Settings > Security > Unknown sources.

2. Select this option to install apps outside of the Google Play store. Depending on your device,

you can also choose to be warned before installing harmful apps. This can be enabled by selecting the “Verify apps” option in the Security settings.

3. Connect your Android device to your computer and enable USB mass‐storage or say Yes to using USB for file transfer (depends on your device and Android version).

1. Using Windows Explorer (Win) or Finder (Mac) copy the “legacy” Sonos app package "com.sonos.acr_8.4‐410350131_minAPI18(armeabi)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com" to the “Download” folder of your Android device.

2. Using a File Manager app on your Android device, navigate to the “Download” folder and select the "com.sonos.acr_8.4‐410350131_minAPI18(armeabi)(nodpi)_apkmirror.com" file.

1. Tap on “Install” when prompted.

2. When the installation is complete you can now safely delete the Sonos apk file from your

devices Download folder as well as change your security settings back to NOT install from

Unknown sources.

3. Start the Sonos Controller and when prompted, select “Connect to an existing system”.

‐8‐

I thought that was Airplay 2, mistake if I got it wrong and Sonos have just implemented Airplay 1 again.

You get a lot of things wrong, but I will admit, it is entertaining to see you fumble about.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

There’s a version here - although some of the version numbers have changed, the basic principles hold :-

www.amun.org.uk/Sonos/Sonos Lock Down Procedures.pdf

I found it very useful when I locked my system down - I just don’t know who to thank for it :-)

I tried to post a longform copy of this up but was sent for moderation - I guess too long (or too many links). Who wrote it up, I think the user was Colin. Much of the investigative was collaborative and added to by numerous posters in the lengthy thread, now conveniently locked, then archived! There was a whole bunch of users trying to help each other and jgatie just being a troll as usual.

I use Open DNS to block:

• update-firmware.sonos.com
  • update.sonos.com

As it is easier to do it there then in my Unifi Router which is a bit rubbish at blocking specific websites (but good at other stuff)

Dave

Edit: It was @Ikrananka that produced the final document but looks like he hasn’t posted since that point. 

Could you post a link to the reference document for blocking updates? The one link I can find is broken.. Much appreciateed

How is blocking Sonos updates a better option than remaining on the Sonos Legacy version?  I’m not seeing the advantage there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I’ve deleted a number of responses. They were taking the thread in a direction it was not meant to go.

Can we please focus on the intended subject of the topic? There’s enough other topics that are rife with negativity. Thanks in advance. 

EDIT: I’ve also had to remove other responses that were quoting deleted messages. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

How is blocking Sonos updates a better option than remaining on the Sonos Legacy version?  I’m not seeing the advantage there.

As a hedge against the legacy program as Sonos is unwilling or unable to provide details. I will update after if the program is ok.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

It is not better at this point.  It will probably be necessary to get on the Legacy Software. But I prefer to have control over when I get the Sonos updates.  I want to update on my terms and not when company comes over and accidently hits the update button. There is NO GOING BACK to 8.4.  Maybe this options iwll be available with Legacy Software.

Blocking the update at 8.4 was necessary for me to continue to use the system as I was with the CR-100 controller.  I rarely use it but it’s a museum piece for me, nostalgia, like a turntable.

I’ve deleted a number of responses. They were taking the thread in a direction it was not meant to go.

Can we please focus on the intended subject of the topic? There’s enough other topics that are rife with negativity. Thanks in advance. 

I had a moment when I noticed that my posts suggesting just this have disappeared, but I now see they were pulled for good reasons, so I am fine with the intent behind that action.

Userlevel 6
Badge +5

You deleted the post by Footsore with lots of relevant information and on topic. Can you put it back please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

I had a WTF moment when I noticed that my posts suggesting just this have disappeared, but I now see they were pulled for good reasons, so I am fine with the intent behind that action.

Hey, Kumar. Yeah, I can very well imagine, I’m sorry for the momentary confusion there. I just felt that your responses seemed out of place if the offending comments were removed and yours weren’t. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +20

There’s a version here - although some of the version numbers have changed, the basic principles hold :-

www.amun.org.uk/Sonos/Sonos Lock Down Procedures.pdf

I found it very useful when I locked my system down - I just don’t know who to thank for it :-)

I tried to post a longform copy of this up but was sent for moderation - I guess too long (or too many links). Who wrote it up, I think the user was Colin. Much of the investigative was collaborative and added to by numerous posters in the lengthy thread, now conveniently locked, then archived! There was a whole bunch of users trying to help each other and jgatie just being a troll as usual.

I use Open DNS to block:

• update-firmware.sonos.com
  • update.sonos.com

As it is easier to do it there then in my Unifi Router which is a bit rubbish at blocking specific websites (but good at other stuff)

Dave

Here you go, @NeedSleep. Please leave the profanity out of your posts henceforth. 

@Edward R. Got it, appreciate the clarification.

Moving on...(hopefully🙂)

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Sorry, I am thinking that the Legacy Software term will be used for the version used/released in May when they roll out the new software incompatible with older devices.  I guess we are all currently running Legacy Software. Mine is even more Legacy than most.

Depends how much you trust Sonos, and what’s in their ‘upgrades’…. By locking the system off, it’s entirely up to me what happens on my system. 

From my purely selfish personal point of view, if the legacy version is benign, then it would be a good thing for me, as I wouldn’t have to go to any effort to block it off any more. Apart from the fact that I’d have to buy yet another controller, of course ;-)

It is not better at this point.  It will probably be necessary to get on the Legacy Software. But I prefer to have control over when I get the Sonos updates.  I want to update on my terms and not when company comes over and accidently hits the update button. There is NO GOING BACK to 8.4.  Maybe this options iwll be available with Legacy Software.

Blocking the update at 8.4 was necessary for me to continue to use the system as I was with the CR-100 controller.  I rarely use it but it’s a museum piece for me, nostalgia, like a turntable.

Sonos has stated that updates will be blocked automatically if you have a legacy product in your system.   But if you don’t trust that, or want to stay on the Legacy version even when you don’t have any legacy products, then I guess blocking  updates is a good option.

Sonos has stated that updates will be blocked automatically if you have a legacy product in your system.   But if you don’t trust that, or want to stay on the Legacy version even when you don’t have any legacy products, then I guess blocking  updates is a good option.

Actually, the CEO said that legacy software will receive bug fixes and security updates, but no upgrade to new functions.  A huge step, because that means they forked their software, and the man hours needed to maintain both of them means a significant expense increase for Sonos.  An increase they were obviously looking to avoid.

Actually, the CEO said that legacy software will receive bug fixes and security updates, but no upgrade to new functions.  A huge step, because that means they forked their software, and the man hours needed to maintain both of them means a significant expense increase for Sonos.  An increase they were obviously looking to avoid.

Indeed. And if there are dev hours reallocated to this effort a part of me wonders if that fork, since it have assumably far fewer current and future feature-sets to accommodate, might come back to an earlier version which allowed for more system control from the desktop versions. I’m sure someone here knows the version (and I’m sure some are running it) … I can’t recall; I relented quite a while back and generally stopped paying much attention to what update version added or removed x,y,z, and simply installed anything that came down the pipe with fingers crossed. Nonetheless, if we’re move to a strictly legacy software environment I’d hugely appreciate as much control as possible from the desktop controller as was before. (This is a bit tangential.) 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

This is fine for me.  A Fork was inevitable and they should have done it at 8.4.  I will take this opportunity to purchase some spare hardware and get it all on the same version and lock it down again.

Long Live Legacy Sonos! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Danny,

I was offering some of the knowledge learnt as it may be useful. As others have pointed out it may give comfort knowing they can lock down and see what the legacy version does when released. It may be great.

A bit like holding off microsoft updates for a week in case they break everything. To some extent the first legacy version will be version 1.0 for some of the code. And these days v1.0 means a beta. I hold off on all OTA updates on my car and let other users test them first, have skipped quite a few entirely.

The positive aspects are that both Spotify, Amazon Music, and TuneIn are still working well even on a version well over a year old. So the services aren’t changing daily. But would rather see a commitment to maintaining the music services where possible, than just security patches.

A temporary block on the updates is 5-minutes work, whereas a full lock down takes an age to do as you need images of all old apps etc.

Offering options is the good thing.

Hardware obsolescence will be a big issue going forward, there is the potential for mankind to produce limitless e-waste. That is not a good thing.

It is very important for Sonos to put in place and for users to understand all the workflows to make sure that legacy system users do not end up with split systems inadvertently. Perhaps Sonos needs to change its policy of never being able to revert to an earlier version to allow those who still manage to end up with a split system to go back to a legacy system that includes all their products.

This has all the appearances of another minefield in the making, considering the typical user profile; and I do not mean to be patronising in saying this.

And Sonos needs to significantly elevate support staffing at all touch points for a long enough time post the transition, I think.