Support Windows 8 RT for Surface Tablet and Windows Phone 8 for Mobile Devices

Badge
This is not a full windows 8 platform but will work new surface tablet and Samsung and others plan to use this OS which is not fully windows 8 compatible. It would be very helpful if sonos would support this as the tablet looks promising.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

941 replies

So, you don't think people with differing opinions should be allowed to express them? You also say that expressing that opinion is a "waste of time"? Who is being condescending now?
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Why can't you two just let us windows phone users moan. It's what we do, I use an old android phone as a controller for a bit and get annoyed at how rubbish it after a few weeks and come here to see if anything changes. All I can see is they are laying off staff, to "refocus" I read as it's not going too well at them moment. Windows support probably isn't the answer, but not sure some of the latest feature additions are either.
I will post what I like, where I like, when I like. As long as I do not violate TOS, my posts will stay. Sorry if you can't handle that.
Badge +1
Come on SONOS, give us an app that works well on a Windows tablet install!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I can, but your posts are as good as the location you it in AKA the bog.
I have no idea what that means, but I assume it is yet another childish retort, and thus will treat it as such.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Nice use of the thesaurus on your iPhone.
Nice use of the thesaurus on your iPhone.

Once again, I loathe Apple, so I don't own an iPhone. Let me guess: Accusing someone of being an Apple fanboy so ingrained in your psyche, you forget what was posted mere hours ago?
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, I think I can speak for most of the thread hear when I suggest we take a breather. Let's remember to stay on point. This is the place to come for Windows mobile controller requests, let's keep it friendly for that purpose. We don't have any news currently or plans to share at the moment, but we'll let you know if there are any updates.
What happened? From a company with great vision to nothing?

http://www.winbeta.org/news/sonos-says-no-windows-10-universal-app

Nothing happened except they realize a dog when they see one. They are still concentrating on things which will actually bring in sales and grow the company. Voice control is OS independent and the wave of the future. Who needs an app when you can simply talk to your devices? That is great vision.

Nothing happened except they realize a dog when they see one. They are still concentrating on things which will actually bring in sales and grow the company. Voice control is OS independent and the wave of the future. Who needs an app when you can simply talk to your devices? That is great vision.

hundreds of millions dog in that case...?

I have plenty of devices that work with voice. Like the Athom Homey, Xbox, cortana on my phone and laptop, siri on my iOS devices. They all have one in common. They just don't work when you listen to music.

I have plenty of devices that work with voice. Like the Athom Homey, Xbox, cortana on my phone and laptop, siri on my iOS devices. They all have one in common. They just don't work when you listen to music.

Hundreds of millions are already being served by the current desktop application. We are really talking about mobile users which are vanishingly small, and not worth Sonos abandoning the current desktop app to capture. It is simple finances. The current desktop controller works fine, if not optimally for touch users, and the cost of upgrading is not offset by the number of users to be gained. Sorry, but you picked the wrong mobile device, and trying to lump it in with 270 million desktop and laptop users, when even Microsoft says their mobile market is "unsustainable", is disingenuous at best.

Early signs point to Sonos using Alexa/Echo voice technology, which works great when listening to music. The fact the others do not means Sonos is looking in the right direction. There's that vision thing again. 😉

Hundreds of millions are already being served by the current desktop application. We are really talking about mobile users which are vanishingly small, and not worth Sonos abandoning the current desktop app to capture. It is simple finances. The current desktop controller works fine, if not optimally for touch users, and the cost of upgrading is not offset by the number of users to be gained. Sorry, but you picked the wrong mobile device, and trying to lump it in with 270 million desktop and laptop users, when even Microsoft says their mobile market is "unsustainable", is disingenuous at best, not to mention pathetic.

There is where you're wrong. UWP is NOT just Windows Phone, it's all Windows 10 devices, Laptop, Desktop, Surface, Phone, XBOX the whole bunch. The desktop app indeed is horrible on touch, hence the need for a UWP app.
I did not pick the wrong phone, I have both iPhone and 2 windows phones.

There is where you're wrong. UWP is NOT just Windows Phone, it's all Windows 10 devices, Laptop, Desktop, Surface, Phone, XBOX the whole bunch. The desktop app indeed is horrible on touch, hence the need for a UWP app.
I did not pick the wrong phone, I have both iPhone and 2 windows phones.

Yes, yes, yes, we know the mantra: "UWP is not just for phones!!!!" Blah, blah, blah. Sonos obviously does not see the advantage of going to a UWP interface when the current Windows controller does 95% of a UWP and is already working and paid for. The market for "Surface, Phone, XBOX the whole bunch" is obviously a very small fraction of that for laptops and desktops. Not to hard to figure out, is it?