Answered

Suddently YouTubeMusic search stop work

Badge

Hi there!

I uploaded several songs with proper metadata on YouTube Music. Until a few days ago, when I searched for an album by typing the artist's name under 'Album' and tap the YouTube Music Library, I was able to find all albums by that artist. However, since today, I can only find two albums for that artist and some or none for other artists.

But if I select "Songs" and tap YouTube Music Library, I can see all the songs by that artist. This issue is occurring on all devices (Android) with the Sonos app installed in my house, so it is not a problem with my device.

I have not made any modifications during this time, and I have also tried removing and adding the YouTube Music account.

This problem occurs regardless of whether I use the old or new search tool.

SonosApp updated to the newest version.

There are some problems with the Sonos app or with the API?

How can I solve?

Cheers

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 9 May 2023, 14:26

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @music1980,

From what I can tell, this does sound like a meta-data issue as everything shows up under the Songs tab, but nothing or few under the Album tag. If you search in the YouTube Music app, do you experience the same issue or can you see all albums by that artist?

If you haven’t already, I would suggest reauthorizing your YouTube Music account on Sonos by going into Settings → Services & Voice → YouTube Music → Reauthorize Account. If that doesn’t work, follow the same steps but select Remove Account, then re-add YouTube Music back to Sonos. You should also restart the Sonos app or your mobile phone after performing these steps.

If the steps above don’t resolve the issue for you, please reach out to our support team for further assistance, as they have the tools necessary to troubleshoot this issue with you.

I hope this helps!

Badge

Hi @Jamie A,

As I mentioned earlier, this problem occurred suddenly. It was working perfectly until a few days ago and the metadata has been properly compiled.

To clarify, when I search for the artist Depeche Mode in the YouTube Music App, everything is fine and all its albums are shown. Additionally, when I search for that artist within the artist category using the Sonos App, I can find all its songs (from all its albums). Similarly, if I search for the album that is "missing", it appears among the results in the YouTube Music Library using the Sonos App.

Yesterday I have already tried removing and adding the YouTube Music account to resolve the issue, with no luck.

Some further suggestions?

cheers

Badge

Hi @Jamie A,

Today, I tried to do a few things, such as taking some screenshots.

First of all, please see the screenshot below, which describes the situation well.

1. Search Rammstein under Album Sonos APP. Only Liebe ist fur alle da is shown.
    1. Search for Rammstein under Artist 
      1. Under Rammstein I can see Songs of all the Albums (please note Zeit album) 

2. Search for Zeit under Album. Zeit Album is shown. 
      3. Search for Rammstein within the Youtube Music App. Please see songs from Zeit Album. 
        1. Screenshot from Mp3Tag editor to comprove the metadata. 

Then I also tried to delete the Zeit album from my YouTube Music Library, updated its metadata, and uploaded it again. However, there were no significant changes after I did this.

Can you please confirm if something was changed in the communication between the YouTube Music and Sonos App during the past day?

Also, if you tried to upload some albums on YouTube Music, did you encounter the same problem?

This is very frustrating for me because I purchased Sonos devices specifically for their compatibility with music streaming services, as Sonos claims on its website: https://support.sonos.com/en-us/services/youtube-music#:~:text=YouTube%20Music%20Free%20users%20can%20access%20their%20uploaded%20songs%20and%20albums%20on%20Sonos.

Please believe me that it was working well until some days ago.

I was feeling quite good with Sonos until this happened.

Thank you.

Cheers

Badge

Hi @Jamie A ,

I'm guess that the issue has come since the last update of SonosApp.

Version 15.3 build 72240060.

Badge

Ho @Jamie A

If i search using the new search tool the situation Is worst

Seee below

Badge

Hi @Jamie A ,

I have some further updates.

After investigating, I found that there might be an issue with the SonosApp as it does not correctly display YouTube Music results.

Please take a look at the picture below which shows a hidden button. The same thing is happening on other smartphones that we have, such as the Google Pixel 2 XL.

I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app, but with no luck.

I’ll looking for a your kindly reply.

Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @music1980, thanks for the pictures and information.

With our classic search option, it would display items named after what you type in. Searching for Rammstein in the artist field would show you the artist Rammstein, but searching in the album field would show you albums named Rammstein. This is expected behaviour of classic search and the only reason I can think that the albums would show after searching for the artist would be an issue with the meta-data of the uploaded tracks/albums.

For finding all albums by a single artists, we would recommend you search in the artist field, select them, then browse their albums. 

Also, thank you for flagging the missing button in new search, I’ve reported this to our engineering team to resolve. It seems that just the label is missing but the button for uploaded tracks seems functional.

Badge

Hi @Jamie A 

As you can see in the previous Mp3Tag editor screenshot, the metadata has been properly compiled for all the albums and saved in bulk.

Furthermore, it was working until a few days ago. That was as I like using the YouTube Music search within the SonosApp.

To reply on your suggestion when I search for Rammstein under 'Artist', I only see all of their songs listed without any option to choose an entire album (please see Figure 2 and Figure 3 of the post above). Moreover, if I choose a song, it only plays that song and not a queue or other following song. The only way to play an album is by searching for it by its name. Even though I like all of my favorite artists, sometimes I can't remember all of their album names, which makes it difficult to search for an album by its name.

Sincerely

Badge

Hi @Jamie A 

Thank you for your reply.

What you said does not correspond with how the SonosApp works. After searching in the artist field, the tracks are not grouped by albums. Until a few days ago, the SonosApp was working fine. When I searched for an artist under the album of YouTube Music, it listed all the songs grouped by album, as expected.

Furthermore, to further prove what I said in my previous posts, if I search on the SonosApp for Rammstein under Artist of YouTube Music, the tracks are listed by name and NOT grouped by albums. This disagrees with what you stated before (see the screenshot below).

Then, if I choose a song, it will play only that song and nothing else (screenshot below).

Let me explain how it was working before this issue, comparing it to Prime Music. It was working the same as Prime Music. If you search for Rammstein under Album of Prime Music, you will see all of its albums (tracks grouped by album), results as aspected. Please see the screenshots below.

To further prove that the metadata are fine, please see the following screenshots which shows a search within the YouTube Music App. The YouTube Music App lists all of the songs and each song has the proper metadata (artist name compiled). Please see the four screenshots below.

Furthermore, please note that the SonosApp surely has some issues because now instead of “Library”, “Raccolta” is written under YouTube Music. Please see the screenshot below.

I'm sure that something has been changed during these past few days, maybe in the SonosApp or in how it communicates or digests the YouTube Music results.

Do you have a chance to try the previous release? I can’t, but of sure you can, surely with the help of engineers you can fix any issue that arises.

Admitting some new issues that come during the updates is not a crime. Your hardware (devices) is good, as is the App.

Sincerely

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @music1980,

The search categories under which you can search only differ in instructing the service what to search - if a music service chooses to search more than that in order to return more results to you, that is their choice.

From looking at your example with Amazon Music, the information they provide us with allows searching for albums under the artist tab. I use Spotify myself and searching for an artist in the album section only shows albums of the same name, nothing by said artist and a colleague who uses Apple Music also noted the same. Each music service is different how they handle searching and in what they want to provide to Sonos. If you’d like a certain feature on the Sonos app, then it would be best to suggest the feature to the music service themselves.

It is, however, possible that YTM music changed something recently in regards to how they handle search requests - that's entirely their choice, and they can do so independently.

I hope this helps!

Badge

Hi @Jamie A 

I have further proof that the SonosApp now has some issues.

I removed the old YouTube Music account and added a brand new YouTube Music account to the SonosApp.

Then I uploaded some tracks from Franz Ferdinand. Please note that Franz Ferdinand have an album titled “Franz Ferdinand”.

Then I performed a search as previously described. Only one album is shown, which has the name “Right Notes, Right Words, Wrong Order”.

Please see the screenshot below.

It’s strange and disaccording with your previous statement about the name in the album title. I have highlight your wrong answers on bold.

Hi @music1980, thanks for the pictures and information.

With our classic search option, it would display items named after what you type in. Searching for Rammstein in the artist field would show you the artist Rammstein, but searching in the album field would show you albums named Rammstein. This is expected behaviour of classic search and the only reason I can think that the albums would show after searching for the artist would be an issue with the meta-data of the uploaded tracks/albums.

For finding all albums by a single artists, we would recommend you search in the artist field, select them, then browse their albums. 

Also, thank you for flagging the missing button in new search, I’ve reported this to our engineering team to resolve. It seems that just the label is missing but the button for uploaded tracks seems functional.

Indeed if I browse under Youtube Music, then tap Album I can see clearly an album named “Franz Ferdinand”. See the screenshot belows.

All that I wrote and said in this post is real.

Until some day ago, maybe until the previous release, I got for an artist all its albums grouped. That’s all.

I was only asking for support and a response to this issue. But I found a lot of vague reply.

Your attitude in handling this situation is embarrassing. Especially because you assume that the user is wrong, while it turns out that you don't know well how the SonosApp works.

Furthermore I'm wondering why you starred your last reply as "Best answer", because it is not the best answer.

I’m pretty new on this forum but I have had better support and reply from your collegue @Corry P.

Best Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

This looks like a YTM issue. Sonos don’t determine search results, they just display what YTM give them, based on a “category” (the tab heading eg “artist”) and the search string you enter. Everything after that (content, ordering and grouping) is entirely determined by YTM. (If you don’t believe me, or that I know what I am talking about, try my Windows app, which searches identically to the Sonos desktop apps).

And yes, YTM on Sonos uses a different endpoint to the one the YTM app uses.

I suggest asking YTM to ake a look at their Sonos-supporting service (known as SMAPI).