Skip to main content

Is there away to tell sonos to recognize subfolders in when setting up Music Library Settings? 

I don’t think it needs to be specifically said, as I recall from the many years ago when I set up my library. All Artists in my library are in sub folders. Have you double checked the FAQ?

There are several views in the Sonos Music Library. Take a look at the Folders view.

I think you are speaking about from the main screen just expanding the Folders heading? 

Well this died leaving me hanging. 

Reminds me of a story from the 1990s.  Up in Seattle area, a helicopter got lost in low clouds.  Saw ahead Microsoft HQ building and the pilot yelled through an open window, “where are we?”  The answer came back, “in a helicopter.”  Pilot turned to his passenger and said, typical answers from Microsoft.  The answers are correct but useless.

Your question has confused everyone that has tried to answer it.

Please restate the problem you are trying to solve, using different words. Ideally pictures too if it will help make it clearer for us.

Thank you. 

I do see that I was asking the wrong question.  Starting over again.

The “Search Music Library” box seems to look only at the directory I have for “Music Library” but none of the sub-directories.   That is what I was trying to address.

Thank you for re-starting your question.

Sonos recurses down through your directory structure from the share when building the index. It frankly wouldn’t be much use if it did not.

You are specifically talking about Search. What about Browse? Does that work on your library? Also the Folder option that will determine if the problem is with the library index itself, or with the search function.

Music on my HD is all in the following directory //desktop-1sha075/Music  with multiple sub-directories. 

As it turns out I have the symphonies of Nielsen in the sub-directory Music/Carl Nielsen.  I also have some of his chamber music here (This is where iTunes stuck it when I added it)
C:\Users\Bill\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music\Lieurance Woodwind Quintet\Romantic Masterworks

CLARIFICATIONS:  The chamber music was originally added to my iPhone because I was on the road and needed it to help me prepare for a performance.

If I type Nielsen in the search box the only thing that shows up in the stuff I loaded into iTunes.  No indication of anything at Music/Carl Nielsen.

THIS IS ONE EXAMPLE THERE ARE OTHERS.

You are aware that the folder structure on your drive is totally irrelevant to how Sonos organises the Music Library? 

It is organised using the file metadata and it is on this metadata that it searches.

PS. No need to shout. 

To illustrate the point in my previous post,  I suspect that the material from the original iTunes has 'Neilsen' in the Artist metadata field, but the files in Music/Neilsen do not. These latter files will not appear under 'Neilsen' for Artist in the Sonos Music Library. 

However, if you had a subdirectory Music/Motorhead, but the Artist field was populated as 'Neilsen', the files would be classified under Neilsen.

The only place where you would see Motorhead mentioned in the Sonos Music Library would be in the Folders view. No search would find 'Motorhead'.

I suspect that what you are attributing to missing subdirectories is actually caused by missing metadata.

I could be wrong, but I hope this answer doesn’t prove as useless as my original attempt. 

Thanks, I have pretty much exhausted my knowledge of the who field when I verged into Sub-directories.  Metadata is a term I’ve heard but it’s way beyond my ken. 

I suggest you Google it. Music files contain information about the music - artist, album, composer, track name and so on.

Sonos uses this information to create the Music Library.  It looks like some of the data is missing from some of your files.

Either you tackle this or you live with the current situation.  Sonos is doing exactly what it should do with the information it is being given. 

And it’s not overly complex, once you understand how that information is stored/connected to a file. There are relatively easy ways to look at that data, and then modify it out there, so that applications such as Sonos and many others will properly sort your music files. 

I am a foolish old man.  When I buy something, I don’t envision spending time under the hood (never mind that fact that mfgr today go out of their way to make this impossible) to get it to do what I want. 

Thanks to all who tried to teach me some new stuff.  Helps me realize the problem.  In the end I’ll just ignore the search function.

I’m an old man too….but seriously, it’s not a lot to learn here. 10 minutes in, you’ll most likely have an ‘aha!’ moment, and you’ll be off to the races.