Streaming large NAS library of music to Sonos

• 6 February 2021
  • 1 reply

I have a large (>65.000 which seem to be the limit) library of mp3 & FLAC music, that I want to stream to my various Sonos units. The library is sorted A-Z, and I don’t want anything to crawl around and try to map the music, creating playlists and that sort of thing. I just want to go down the file structure, choose my album and stream it. Nothing else.

If I do this on a PC, it works fine, no problems. But in this day & time, it would be convenient to do it on my IPhone, pref. using an app. Just like I do when playing Spotify or web-radio. And this is where I hev a problem - I cannot find any app that can do this.

Either they want to create & download playlists, album art, etc. (Sonos, Plex, and others), or they do what I want (DLNA Player, zcloud, FLACbox etc. apps) but I can only direct the music to one (1) speaker. Where I want to hear the music on my Port, my Sonos One, Move, five, etc. simultaneously.

Does anyone have a good idea on how to play a big collection of mp3/FLAC music, residing on a NAS, using an IPhone app, playing onto several Sonos speakers/units?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @ProgRock 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

As you have AirPlay compatible Sonos players, you can stream to them directly from your iPad, iPhone, Mac or iTunes app. You can find steps here to Stream AirPlay audio to Sonos. If you group your rooms together first and select the first room named in the group as your AirPlay target, they will all play. See this link for how to Group and ungroup rooms.

We recommend the use of Plex for large libraries, as it does the indexing and provides the index to Sonos on request from the app (as you browse). Plex is highly configurable, so you should be able to prevent it from downloading additional artwork from the library source settings.

You could also try grouping before DLNA playback.