Sonos S2 14.18.2 notification: stopping the service may interrupt playback notifications

• 8 November 2022
  • 69 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Since my Sonos app was updated to version 14.18.2 I get constant the following notification:

Sonos: Stopping the service may interrupt playback notifications

I can disable it if I uncheck the Background Services Notification, but this should not be the solution…

Samsung S21 Ultra running Android 13 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

Same problem for me.  Latest Android, Pixel 5a

Same thing here on old LG G5 with Android 8.

Agree this is unacceptable. Imagine if all apps did this, your notification area would be cluttered with tens (hundreds?) of useless notifications.

Same experience here: Bug introduced with 14.18.2, 14.19 didn’t solve it, and it’s annoying.

Seen on a Pixel 3 with Android 12 and a Samsung tablet with Android 11.

Cheers

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Hi!

Same here, the Sonos app on Android activates two notifications (one is normal and works well, the other is like a ghost notification, useless).

I’ve tried to reinstall the app but with no effect. Problem is present on multiple devices, with Android 11, 12 and 13.

Double notification icon on Android app | Sonos Community

So  I registered here to create a post about how this and when I was typing the Subject, it popped up and linked me to this thread where it has already been discussed, so let me just add myself to the list of Sonos users who really wish this would get fixed.

Not sure why we need this notification, not exactly groundbreaking info.  And I don’t want to turn off notifications, just want ability to not have THIS notification.

On a Pixel 7 if that helps at all...

Userlevel 3

I’m getting the same extraneous notification as well.  I have a Google Pixel 3. 

I contacted Customer Support, and they asked me to check other phones (which I did), and then they wanted me to see if it occurred on iOS as well.  I explained that we only have Androids at our house.  They said they couldn’t determine if it only affected Androids or Apples.  (Umm… either way, you’re affecting approximately half the mobile phone market!) 

They eventually agreed to create a case number for me.  I’ll try to post if I get any useful updates. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Same problem here.

Seems to serve no useful purpose, started happening fairly recently.

Same here (S22+). What a *** product Sonos has become over the years.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.*

Same issue here since a couple of weeks on Android

Can we please get this fixed?

Somehow it’s now getting worse for me in the sense that I clear it after I open it up and then a few minutes later it just pops back up, whereas before it only seemed to come up when I first opened the App.  Super annoying for an otherwise fantastic product and software.

Userlevel 2
Badge

And still not fixed in version. 14.20

Userlevel 1
Badge +3

It wouldn't bother me so much if the notification meant something, and did something when you press it, but it just permanently sits there cluttering up your phone's notifications. Unacceptable.

It does mean something. The notification keeps background services alive that the Android app relies on.

Sure it means something, but it’s only important to SONOS technical staff. Repeated notification is completely unecessary for my daily use. Unacceptable.

Userlevel 2
Badge

And also 14.20.1 did not fix the issue…. 

Sonos does not care about Android users…. 😔

And this topic is not answered, only that somebody found a option in Android to kill the Sonos notifications does not mean the problem is solved.

Hey guys,

On the Android device go to ‘Settings → Notifications → Sonos’, there toggle off "Background Services".

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hey guys,

On the Android device go to ‘Settings → Notifications → Sonos’, there toggle off "Background Services".

This is a workaround (Set Android to ignore Sonos notifications)… 

If there is a other issue with Sonos Services you will not get that notification because you disabled *all* background services notifications… 

Sonos should fix this issue 

No workaround, that’s the solution. The notification keeps background services alive that the Android app relies on, the only thing you can do is to hide it away.

Badge +1

No workaround, that’s the solution. The notification keeps background services alive that the Android app relies on, the only thing you can do is to hide it away.

That's a pity and dare I say, rather slack and sloppy, of Sonos, because this didn't happen with the Sonos S1 app.

So apparently the Sonos Android application has not relied on background services for years, since the superfluous notification only started materializing itself like a month ago?

So apparently the Sonos Android application has not relied on background services for years, since the superfluous notification only started materializing itself like a month ago?

Google changed their background services policy with Android 11.

So? Android 11 was released some two years ago.

Badge +1

So? Android 11 was released some two years ago.

Am not sure why the Sonos S1 app never did this though 🤔 but S2 does

So  I registered here to create a post about how this and when I was typing the Subject, it popped up and linked me to this thread where it has already been discussed, so let me just add myself to the list of Sonos users who really wish this would get fixed.

Not sure why we need this notification, not exactly groundbreaking info.  And I don’t want to turn off notifications, just want ability to not have THIS notification.

On a Pixel 7 if that helps at all...

Can we please get this fixed?

Somehow it’s now getting worse for me in the sense that I clear it after I open it up and then a few minutes later it just pops back up, whereas before it only seemed to come up when I first opened the App.  Super annoying for an otherwise fantastic product and software.

So I made a short little video to illustrate how ridiculous and frustrating this is in real life usage:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PPAWl05RNcZohbmGmQdToYkvXc4OGZho/view?usp=sharing

PLEASE fix this. And, to be clear, an actual fix and not some stop-gap ‘just turn off all of your notifications’ as has been suggested here in this thread.  The biggest selling point when I tell people about Sonos is the fantastic Software -- from initial setup, to general everyday use, it’s been fantastic and why my entire house is littered with Sonos products.  But this, to put it plainly, sucks.  It sucks and it’s an obvious problem that a lot of people are experiencing that didn’t occur before.  PLEASE FIX IT.

Also have the same issue popping up for the first time in all my years of using SONOS on my android. Don’t use a widget on my phone so don’t know why it’s coming up (first hit on this issue from a few years ago - said it was tied to widgets (

SONOS fix your bug please!!

Userlevel 1

Same frustrating issue on Pixel 5, Android 13, Sonos app 14.20.1, build 70436090

This is terrible UX. 

I get the same problem on a Samsung S21, a Samsung galaxy tab a, a Huawei MediaPad and a Lenova P11.  Very frustrating.