Sonos S2 14.18.2 notification: stopping the service may interrupt playback notifications

• 8 November 2022
  • 69 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Since my Sonos app was updated to version 14.18.2 I get constant the following notification:

Sonos: Stopping the service may interrupt playback notifications

I can disable it if I uncheck the Background Services Notification, but this should not be the solution…

Samsung S21 Ultra running Android 13 

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

69 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

I have the same so glad it's not just me. Maybe a bit of a bug?

I'm Android too - version 12

What did Sonos say when you called Support about it?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I have the same message S10+ Android 12

Toggle off Background Services seems to be the only solution. 

Badge

Same for me, Galaxy S20. Never had this before 14.18.2. it's pretty annoying and seems like a bug to me.

Same issue for me after the update Android 12

Userlevel 2
Badge

Same for me.  Wondering if it’s related to the fact that SONOS suddenly can’t find the path to the music on my local computer for each new song.  And there’s also the Pocket Casts problem that’s acknowledged on their status page.
The last update has just kind of broken my system…. wish we could just roll it back.

Badge

Same. Google Pixel 7 Pro.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

This little bug does not bother me too much as it does not impact on playback at all.

I’m guessing Sonos will fix it like they did with the dots issue on the iOS app some time back.

Same issue here with recent update version 14.18.2 using a range of sonos products and app on Samsung S22, also note Amazon connection is not what it used to be... search turns very little results and saved albums no longer play stating "unable to browse music"... we checked Amazon account and connection, but no joy :(

@Glynnthere, Check out the new Amazon Music app. Prime Music is now basically a customised radio station.

Here’s an official announcement.

https://www.amazonforum.com/s/feed/0D56Q0000AIXzAoSQL

Userlevel 1

Support says that the notification is “normal.”  Of course, it didn’t appear until recently, so, why does it appear now?  And how can it be normal when it’s clearly extraneous?  It’s true that the notification doesn’t appear to affect my system’s operation, but we should be able to remove the extraneous notification without having to shutdown all background notifications for the app.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same issue here, running 14.18.2 on a Google Pixel 6a running Android 13

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Same issue on a redmi note 10 running miui 12.

Appears constantly.

Clearly a bug.

Same issue on Galaxy Fold 4. Not a huge deal, but it shouldn't be there. Not a huge fan of notifications that serve no purpose and I can't get rid of. Hopefully this is a bug that gets fixed soon.

Seeing this as well, but I've hidden the notification type. One positive thing I'm seeing is that the mini player notification is actually sticking around which hasn't worked in a long time.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Seeing this as well, but I've hidden the notification type. One positive thing I'm seeing is that the mini player notification is actually sticking around which hasn't worked in a long time.

I came here to post the same thing. It's annoying to have two icons, but at least the mini player hasn't disappeared all day. 

Me Too. I turned OFF notifications.

Same issue here. Pixel 4.

Anyone else having blips while opening the app. Like the app is attempting to open over and over and over again. Takes about 10 seconds or more to settle down and work?

Same issue here. OnePlus Nord Android 11.

It wouldn't bother me so much if the notification meant something, and did something when you press it, but it just permanently sits there cluttering up your phone's notifications. Unacceptable.

The solution is to go into Settings > Apps and notifications >  Sonos > Notifications

Here, toggle off the "Background notifications" option.

Of course, you shouldn't have to do this, and I don't know if this will prevent other important notifications from displaying.

Please fix this Sonos.

It wouldn't bother me so much if the notification meant something, and did something when you press it, but it just permanently sits there cluttering up your phone's notifications. Unacceptable.

It does mean something. The notification keeps background services alive that the Android app relies on.

This is terrible consumer / user experience.  There is no reason this notification needs to be present - it cannot be dismissed and it stays on my lock screen and notifications panel (Android) since I have the mini music player present.

Sonos - please fix this.  This is sloppy CX and is a useless message.

Hallo, 

I didn't turn off ALL notifications of Sonos only backgroundservices. 

Maybe it works for others.

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hallo, 

Yeah that worked for me. Seems like the best fix for this right now 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hallo, 

Yeah that worked for me. Seems like the best fix for this right now 

This is not fix, just a workaround to get the notification off

Sonos should explain this notification or resolve the notification as it seems to be wrong…

Build 14.19 did not solve the issue.  :(