Sonos for Apple Watch

Userlevel 2
Hey guys, please tell me you are going to or have already started working on a control for Sonos from the apple watch, I use my iPhone or iPad all the time but a watch control would be awesome.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

266 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We are discussing what people would like in Apple watch. It is known there is great interest in an app.
Userlevel 2
Badge
We are discussing what people would like in Apple watch. It is known there is great interest in an app.
Feel free to email beta@zoneplay.co.uk and have a look at where ZonePlay for Apple Watch is at. Basic zone play/pause/volume and selecting from your Sonos Favourites.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don't suspect Sonos has any interest in adding the intercom feature and There is a good third party solution. But I would agree that would be a great feature for the developer of Sonos voice to make as an Apple watch version of his
Another Apple Watch user here. While Watch support isn't "necessary", the same could be said for internet connected speakers in general. I like Sonos particularly because of the fact that it enables convenient and gee-wiz features like control from my computer/phone/watch/arduino/toaster.
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Another Apple Watch user here. While Watch support isn't "necessary", the same could be said for internet connected speakers in general. I like Sonos particularly because of the fact that it enables convenient and gee-wiz features like control from my computer/phone/watch/arduino/toaster.
Wow you have your toaster controlling sonos, that's innovation.
I have a watch and controlling some features of my Sonos from it would be great. I think that an app from sonos is a must from their side it's an amazing system and controlling it from your wrist would be a really cool selling point.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
You have to put your phone in the toaster
I've had my Apple Watch for over 24 hours now, and I still don't see a Sonos app. This is an outrage. Sonos should have had this ready when I decided on a whim to buy this thing. I cannot believe I have to use my phone to control every song on earth playing magically from hidden speakers throughout my house, like a damn animal. I will never forgive this transgression. 

But seriously, please make a watch app so I feel cooler switching songs.
My insteon system worked day one with watch! Awesome!! Can't wait for awesomeness from Sonos!!!
I currently use Kronos on Pebble which is ok but has its limitations - mainly that it requires a companion app on the phone and that it kills the phone's battery life. A native app for Apple Watch would be an ideal replacement and would help to overcome one of the few things that really bugs me about Sonos, namely to give a quick and easy way to answer the question I ask myself many times a day "what's this song/album/artist?"
I notice that the Kronos app has been upgraded to work with the Apple Watch. I've not had a chance to try it, as I don't yet have the watch.
Badge
I currently use Kronos on Pebble which is ok but has its limitations - mainly that it requires a companion app on the phone and that it kills the phone's battery life. A native app for Apple Watch would be an ideal replacement and would help to overcome one of the few things that really bugs me about Sonos, namely to give a quick and easy way to answer the question I ask myself many times a day "what's this song/album/artist?"
Thanks for the heads up on the kronos App just downloaded it. You can control the Sonos from the app pause and play . You don't seem to be able to select the music from the app therefore you would have to do this from either your iPad or iPhone . You can control the volume by touching the watch . I would much prefer using the winder/crown to control the volume as you can do with the remote App. Hopefully when Sonos release their watch App it will have this feature.
Userlevel 3
As mentioned in other posts in this thread, using the crown to control volume is not (yet) possible due to constraints from Apple (for Kronos or a future Sonos Watch app). The crown is only for scrolling right now.
Badge
That's a shame as I much prefer using the crown to control the volume on the remote app as opposed to using the touch feature on the Kronos. Hopefully Apple will lift this constraint in the near future .
Well I spoke with a Sonos rep at the Grand Designs show this week and he said there were no plans to create a watch app but that 3rd parties may chose to do so :-( 
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I would be skeptical of any future plans information from a show rep
Ditto ditto tritto. 🙂
I was among the first to clamor for an Apple Watch Sonos app. But I do think that a watch app is NOT a "no brainer"... 

The Sonos app on the iPhone is a complex and multi-faceted application, providing a wide array of choices. How to condense that functionality into an Apple Watch is probably tricky: what to include, what to exclude, and how to provide the most satisfying interface is probably not an easy task. To include too much would be disasterous for this small screen, but leaving out crucial functionality would have the members of the forum incensed. I can't imagine that Sonos is not thinking about this issue very carefully. This is not a matter of simple "play/pause/stoop" functionality, nor loading just a boarding pass and notifications...

I look forward to Sonos' creative thinking on this issue. 

It would be nice to see the queue as well, but I like the idea of keeping it simple.
Just purchased my watch!  (won't come in until July), but like everyone else, would love to have a Sonos app for the watch.  Also, the watch is compatible with only bluetooth headphones, so like people previously mentioned , it would be great to make a head phone or partner with another brand that makes it compatible!  Thanks!
Another vote for apple watch support. I uses sonos all the time, and would like to be able to change stations/playlists and control volume my watch.
Userlevel 2
YES PLEASE. This would be a killer watch app!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
If you have Apple watch now there are some 3rd party Apple watch control options.
Sonos on the Apple Watch would be an awesome Idea.
I'm using Kronos now.  It seems to give you the same control that Apple's remote app provides - pause/play, back, forward, volume.  It would be nice to pick a playlist.  Not bad if you don't feel like getting up to find your phone or iPad.
Yes please! Apple Watch app!!!
Userlevel 3
Just got my Apple Watch (with Link Bracelet) today! 😃 It is great so far! The future on my wrist.

Zoneplay is SO COOL! Mike has done a great job on the watch in integrating exactly what is needed and not overloading the app. I LOVE Play/Pauseing and controlling the volume of my whole setup. Individual volumes are there (if needed), but not too prominent - very good. Tons of speakers "listen" to a thing as small as 42mm.

I will certainly have some suggestions a little bit further in. Zoneplay is in my "inner ring" of apps around the Watch icon on my app start screen - a place for only the most valuable of apps.

I have set my Watch to return to the last used app (instead of the watch face). That makes very much sense for Zoneplay. Just look at the watch and the play/pause button as well as the volume slider is there (it isn't a slider, just 2 buttons left and right with some graphical slidery thing, which cannot be manipulated by sliding or the crown).

Many reviews talk about app loading times being too long. Well. They are there, but are mostly ok. I am looking forward to native apps running on this thing.

On a footnote: doing phone calls on the Apple Watch is hilarious!! I feel so Knight Rider(ish). ;-)))