Sonos controller problem on iOS 9.3.5

Userlevel 1
I have my Sonos controller on several iOS devices but after the most recent Sonos update I cannot start the Sonos Controller on my iPad with iOS 9.3.5. (it's an older iPad and iOS 9.3.5 is the most recent iOS for that device). I can start Sonos controller on my iPhone iOS 11.0.3 and then the iPad with iOS 9.3.5. picks that up and I can then continue to use the iPad with Sonos controller to choose music and so on. Not a huge thing and I have a work around but something is not working as it should, the Sonos 8.1 Software release notes say iOS 9 and higher. Can you let me know how to fix the problem?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

129 replies

I'm a late comer to this party - one of those parties that you don't want to be at!

Same pattern as many contributors - we use an old iPad 3 (running iOS 9.3.5 because Apple won't let it have anything more modern) purely to run our Sonos system. But not any more, as this simply stopped working yesterday evening: no warning, just a rather rude error message basically telling me to "get with the beat, Baggy" (Jungle Book). Thanks for nothing.

We're just about to move in to a new house and will be designing our music system from scratch - up until yesterday Sonos was a shoo-in for the lot, but no longer. A company that treats its customers with such distain and arrogance can't be trusted and doesn't deserve several thousand pounds worth of business. Shame, really, as it's very good (when it works).
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
So what speaker system are you going to use instead, that is compatible with your ancient iPad?
You're missing the point - it's not about continuing to use a seven year old iPad (although it's a shame to throw out something that has no faults other than simply being old), it's about Sonos's thoughtless and arrogant attitude to its customers (as echoed by many contributors on this string) that is steering me to look for alternative solutions. Until Sonos pulled this stunt I was perfectly happy and wouldn't have dreamt of looking elsewhere, but now I am. Perhaps Sonos feel that they have a near-monopoly and so are behaving in the way monopolies tend to?
You're missing the point - it's not about continuing to use a seven year old iPad (although it's a shame to throw out something that has no faults other than simply being old), it's about Sonos's thoughtless and arrogant attitude to its customers (as echoed by many contributors on this string) that is steering me to look for alternative solutions. Until Sonos pulled this stunt I was perfectly happy and wouldn't have dreamt of looking elsewhere, but now I am. Perhaps Sonos feel that they have a near-monopoly and so are behaving in the way monopolies tend to?

So you are so angry at Sonos for not supporting a device Apple itself no longer supports, you are going to look for an alternative which also doesn't support a device Apple itself no longer supports? And the reason is . . . uhhh . . . a "point"?

Color me confused. 🤔