Sonos as Intercom / PA system

• 19 November 2012
  • 78 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge
Surprised I can not find this idea in here. My house is not exactly small, and I am now running 7 Sonos players. When running the Sonos app on iPhone, it would be great to be able to select a sone (or a sone group), press a button and talk via my phone to that sone. I can not imagine it being a technically complex solution. I would be really excited about being able to use Sonos in this way, and so would quite a few others! (see discussion forum): http://forums.sonos.com/showthread.php?t=8672 Is this something that can be considered? If this could be a part of Sonos long term solutions, I would wait for it. Else I would need to start think alternative solutions.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

78 replies

Badge
Have you tried the Sonos Voice ios App?

Awesome suggestions Rob! I'll definitely incorporate them into the next version of the app, which I'll probably start coding over the holidays. If you run into any issues feel free to contact me either e-mail in app or on this thread.

And thanks everyone who left a nice review! You guys are awesome!
Userlevel 7
Badge +22

I think they have gone from zones terminology to ROOMS

You are right. The App uses Rooms. My 7 year-old controller says Zones

Hey Drew, Any plans of releasing an adroid app for the announcements?
Badge

I started on an Android port but ran into lots of technical issues, so it's shelved for now. I definitely hope to be able to pick it up sometime soon.

Thanks. Ive been waiting on it for a year or so now. It would be great to have it done. 
+1 on the intercom
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
While the voice app is cool and a great third party app.  As far as the Sonos app development I would like them spending time with upgrades that are more to the core of the application/product itself.  There is a long enough wish list.
Ditto drew.....would really like to see this for Android.
There is an update to the iphone app for Sonos Voice. It came out 11/12/2013.  It is working much better.  Somehow they've got it so it will resume music play after being interrupted with a page from Sonos Voice.  You have to leave the Sonos Voice app on the screen until it completely stops, then it goes back to the music playing in the app.  It appears to have paused the music, then resumed it.  It's getting closer to what I wanted.  Sonos needs to buy this app and incorporate it into their system.

Mark

Please if any one get intercom service, please let me know, thanks
Userlevel 1
Drew, it will be great if you can have the app enhanced to have a quick access to it from widget screen! Since the premise of your app is simple, I hope it will be well suited for this?

Drew please continue work on the SonosVoice Android app. I have been waiting for that sway my decision to purchase Sonos apeakers.
Adding this feature will most certainty add to people wanting to purchase this system. I would love to see an app on android!
I have 6 Play1's and use them as music sources and use SonosVoice for intercom.  The intercom app works ok but if Sonos integrated it, that would definitely be a large competitively advantage in fending off home integrators.
I have 6 Play1's and use them as music sources and use SonosVoice for intercom.  The intercom app works ok but if Sonos integrated it, that would definitely be a large competitively advantage in fending off home integrators.
Yes definitely! I have 8 at my place .. I like to use it to play around with the family and send casual announcements out. I bet if Sonos does develop one It will be 10x as better as Sonosvoice. A bit upset that Sonos voice isnt on android but life goes on!
Hi Drew Im from Australia .. not sure if apps are universally the same .. I had it on my apple iphone but I changed to android. Would love to see little things such as a "pre tone" to catch peoples attentions and most important see it on android? If it takes me paying for it, I will be happy to pay for what ever the cost may be. Thankyou 🙂
Any luck here for android? Would love to use it for a wedding...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Honestly - even the iPhone app is good for calling the kids - but the noticeable delay makes it hard to do a lot of talking in.

You would be better off with a Sonos with input (like Play:5) attached to a mic.
An app that does this is already available for Android and is called "AirAudio".

It works really well and its free.
An app that does this is already available for Android and is called "AirAudio".

It works really well and its free.

BidBox, I know your post is 4 months old, but I created an account to say thank you. This is exactly what I needed.

Now to find a way to remote start SONOS for my mother in-law when I am at work. She has no clue how to use technology. This type of stuff is what makes SONOS really awesome!
Badge
If you are looking for an iOS Intercom app that works with your Sonos speakers, check out Intercom for Sonos. It is a solid app that lets you record and send a audio message to any Sonos speaker in your home. It handles interrupting your music play really well and even has some fun voice effects you can play with.

Badge
Nathan, any chance you will be porting your iOS app to Android?? I do like your interface and Zello like PTT method for Sonos.
Drew, I have been following the conversations for about two years until I bought my sonos speakers, but I have not seen you on here for about a year. I was wondering what happened to your "Sonos voice" app as I can no longer find it in the app store? I have checked other country app stores and nothing there either. Is it still possible to get?
Badge
FYI, for you Android users that are needing Sonos intercom now try the $4 Macronos for Sonos. It works for intercom functionality; you have to create custom shortcut widgets for on and off but it does what it says but know it does not resume play automatically after your page...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.youtec.android.macronos
Badge
Hello. I just released a complete rewrite of Sonos Voice which works and looks much much better than the old version. It also offers real time intercom ability (which Sonos Intercom doesn't so) and it's significantly cheaper as well. I would love to hear feedback!