Skip to main content

I honestly feel like I'm at wits end with the Sonos app. Opening the app is always a flip of the coin. Will the app find my system, or will I see the dreaded "Unable to connect to Sonos. Let's fix it" error message? My current setup is Beam and 2 x One SL's, controller app on an iPhone 12 Pro and iPad Pro 2020, as well as a partner using an Android phone.

Things I've tried:* Complete system on wifi vs Beam wired by ethernet and One SL's on wifi.* Numerous resets of the modem router and the speakers* Setting static IP addresses for the speakers* Creating port-forwarding rules for the speakers on my modem router to bypass the firewall* Turning off band-steering on the modem* Setting non-competing wireless channels for the router and for the Sonos system.* Uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app* Submitting diagnostics and chatting with Sonos support (which suggested the wireless channel change for the Sonos. I did this, it woked fine for 30 minutes, then back to the same). I'm yet to contact support for a second time to see if they have any further fixes. In the initial call they said everything actually looks fine on their end. 

So, Sonos users.... I know this issue happens a lot, Even I contact my friend on FMWhatsapp but as I feel like I've read just about every troubleshooting thread online. What did you all do to fix your system? How do you live with the Sonos app being so unreliable in its connection to the system? I love how the system sounds and how it works (when it works), but this app is driving me out of my mind.

I can understand your frustration but in 10 years of using Sonos there have been maybe two occasions when my phone could not find my system, briefly.  This HAS to be network related, because that is how the controller talks to the speakers. I am not saying there is anything wrong or faulty with your network; just that something needs to be changed for Sonos to work robustly.

Please tell us what router you have and what type of network - is it a mesh?  Any access points or extenders?  It must be dual band because you mention band steering.  

Do you have a VPN running on any of the controller devices?

Perhaps see if switching off ‘Private Address’ MAC Spoofing in the iOS network connection properties helps to sort the matter for you.. Some routers can have issues with that iOS feature.

Also check that the router fully supports SSDP multicast/broadcast discovery over the LAN and STP - it might just be poor in these networking areas, so definitely check for any router firmware updates and ideally don’t use things like wireless range extenders, or powerline adapters, as those devices can sometimes be problematic